How do Solaris people reproduce?

This is a thought that suddenly occured to me. How the hell do Solaris people reproduce?

Every single adult of Fortuna (even the "mostly organical" Thursby) have their torsos replaced with cybernetic boxes for their heads. I can assume that that construction still leaves them enough room to keep their genitals (which makes the phrase "bumping uglies" very literal and the process itself probably very uncomfortable), but where the woman is supposed to carry the child after that? Because I see no room in that box for a fetus.

They can't be relying primarily on immigration (which in their case would be Corpus bringing in new captives, but whatever), because in that case there would be nothing exceptional about The Biz being a "non-native". Plus, the Familial Bonds item confirms that whole family lines of Solaris live and work there. Do they have a law where each young Solaris must leave a descendant before they get the full-body conversion? Do they clone? Do they have a special cybernetic module that serves as an incubator and gets installed when needed? Do Corpus extract fetuses from newly-pregnant women and gestate those in incubators elsewhere to put them back into Solaris settlements or elsewhere when they are born?

Were there any sources on that? And what are your own thoughts?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, VisionAndVoice said:

Yes, and I'm asking what that way would be. More specifically, was there any reference or description to that that I missed.

No nothing mentioning that in game, they probably make them in labs and the corpus add the bill to their debt 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, VisionAndVoice said:

How the hell do Solaris people reproduce?

They can't be relying primarily on immigration

We know that they do actually reproduce and have romance. Listen to the conversations in Fortuna and you'll hear it.

"Me old man got brain-shelved when I were a lad. Didn't make the payments. His brain-case is still there, locked up by the Taxmen, waiting for us to pay off his old rig. Never happenin' in me lifetime of course, but me sprogs might get to meet their granddad someday. When they's grandfolk themselves."

"You know him? He's an overly polite man with a gun tattooed on his neck. Someone that cluey may be able to integrate. We can't afford to pass on able hands. Not at the rate we breed."

"This cove's wooing me, he is. Unexpected visits, gifts of sealant, parts for that extra manipulator I wants installed. A romantic he is, a real fancy-monger."

(emphasis added)

where the woman is supposed to carry the child after that? Because I see no room in that box for a fetus.

I agree with you that the Solaris' rigs don't look like they have space for a fetus. It must be external incubation or something. There is a dialogue line that implies sexual slavery:

"Got done bundling a fatboy bound for some pleasure dome. Mainly fabrics, lots of sealed containers. A few of them, well… a few of them were sobbing."

…so maybe they also have a setup where females are used for breeding against their will. I think that particular scenario is unlikely, given that reproduction among the Solaris seems to be voluntary and they don't seem like evil people, but there is that reference.

6 minutes ago, VisionAndVoice said:

Yes, and I'm asking what that way would be. More specifically, was there any reference or description to that that I missed.

So to answer your specific question, I'm pretty sure that it is not directly addressed in any official lore sources, but you're welcome to search my site for it. I have every dialogue line from every Solaris, minus a few from Little Duck and the prisoners on the Corpus Ship tileset.

Edited by GrayArchon
formatting
  • Like 7

I could be wrong because I don’t think it’s ever explicitly explained in-game. But I don’t think those bodies they walk around in are their original bodies. Those are “rigs” that they get put in after the rest of their body is harvested to pay off debt (the irony being the rig itself is so expensive they will be forced into slave labor for the rest of their lives paying it off). The rig is partly cybernetic, but could fully be. It’s hard to tell. So they wouldn’t reproduce using those bodies. Any reproduction they do probably happens before their body is harvested. It’s also possible the corpus keep sperm and eggs to either grow babies in tubes, or use surrogates.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, VisionAndVoice said:

This is a thought that suddenly occured to me. How the hell do Solaris people reproduce?

Every single adult of Fortuna (even the "mostly organical" Thursby) have their torsos replaced with cybernetic boxes for their heads. I can assume that that construction still leaves them enough room to keep their genitals (which makes the phrase "bumping uglies" very literal and the process itself probably very uncomfortable), but where the woman is supposed to carry the child after that? Because I see no room in that box for a fetus.

They can't be relying primarily on immigration (which in their case would be Corpus bringing in new captives, but whatever), because in that case there would be nothing exceptional about The Biz being a "non-native". Plus, the Familial Bonds item confirms that whole family lines of Solaris live and work there. Do they have a law where each young Solaris must leave a descendant before they get the full-body conversion? Do they clone? Do they have a special cybernetic module that serves as an incubator and gets installed when needed? Do Corpus extract fetuses from newly-pregnant women and gestate those in incubators elsewhere to put them back into Solaris settlements or elsewhere when they are born?

Were there any sources on that? And what are your own thoughts?

I would say with toster+microvawes
In special cases they just
AbleVainHydra-size_restricted.gif

• Like 2

Well, cloning and artificial wombs are a common technology in the far future. So much so the Grineer can cobble together an army using them or even use primitive artificial wombs to create 'shock troops' out of discarded gene molds (aka. Ghouls). 

I assume the tech mostly covers the chest area, although the Corpus wouldn't mind letting the Solaris donate their eggs and seed if it means raising new workers. That and we just meet the captured Solaris, those that work as debt slaves for Nef Anyo. I presume most have minimal if any augmentations and look like regular Corpus humans. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling that many of the Corpus can either pay the breeding tax, while many others try to hide away and live a normal life until debt collectors catch up and start hacking bits off to cover debts and cover the cost of replacing removed parts with synthetics. To that extent, I don't think anyone on Fortuna has had children there. Sure they have romance and feelings and stuff, but for people already in crushing debt that having kids would surely mean getting brain-shelved and the child being dumped straight into the Corpus infantry pipeline for you to one day kill in a mission. 

Edited by LegendaryNeurotoxin

chances are they probably can "grow" babies in an artificial, external womb. but you know what the real kicker would be? they'd probably have to pay the Corpus for the privilege, sinking them even further into debt, just like buying augmentations, tools and anything else they need, it all puts them in debt they have to work off. 

IMO though it'd be cruel to raise a kid as a Solaris: they'll either become another annoying Ventkid, or they'll end up inheriting their parent's -and maybe also grandparent's - debts and then have to augment themselves and work endlessly to pay that debt off, on top of whatever they themselves accrue. I ain't raising no kid to have his head cut off and placed in his stomach lol. and miss me with that "but they might be able to get out of it and break the cycle". no, no they won't. none of the Solaris do, and even if they did, they wouldn't get their whole body back. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, VisionAndVoice said:

You don't carry a child in your hip.

During her pregnancy, Semele rejoiced in the knowledge that her son would be divine. She dressed herself in garlands of flowers and wreathes of ivy, and would run barefoot to the meadows and forests to frolic whenever she heard music. Hera became envious, and feared that Zeus would replace her with Semele as queen of Olympus. She went to Semele in the guise of an old woman who had been Cadmus' wet nurse. She made Semele jealous of the attention Zeus' gave to Hera, compared with their own brief liaison, and provoked her to request Zeus to appear before her in his full godhood. Semele prayed to Zeus that he show himself. Zeus answered her prayers, but warned her than no other mortals had ever seen him as he held his lightning bolts. Semele reached out to touch them, and was burnt to ash. (Dionysiaca 8).[189] But the infant Dionysus survived, and Zeus rescued him from the flames, sewing him into his thigh. "So the rounded thigh in labour became female, and the boy too soon born was brought forth, but not in a mother’s way, having passed from a mother’s womb to a father’s." (Dionysiaca 9). At his birth, he had a pair of horns shaped like a crescent moon. The Seasons crowned him with ivy and flowers, and wrapped horned snakes around his own horns.[190]

Emphasis added.

• Like 2

One would think that a bunch of slaves woldn't be given leave to raise/take care of a helpless baby, so they would most likely be incubated in a tube or something, so they can keep working uninhibited until the child can start working with them for their masters. I'm sure the corpus have the requred materials somewhere stored up so they can make them children. Why even grow them children? So they feel attached to them and continue working to "better their lives". Hah!

5 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

"This cove's wooing me"

Being in love doesn't mean they have to have children the old fashioned way. In fact, nothing says anyone has children the old fashioned way anymore. Unless it IS stated somewhere? I doubt it though.

Edited by (PSN)Yggranya
3 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Where do you think the term "child bearing hips" comes from?

I think the point is the baby does not develop in a location far enough down in the body to fit into one of those rigs. It doesn’t grow literally in the hips.

Just now, (PSN)sister-hawk said:

I think the point is the baby does not develop in a location far enough down in the body to fit into one of those rigs. It doesn’t grow literally in the hips.

It is, I'm just having fun.  Mainly because the comment they were responding to was implying the genitals and reproductive organs were still present in a lot of the NPC's shown, so while they are mostly mechanical, they could still gestate a fetus.