Is it just me, or is Lavos an eyesore?

18 hours ago, (XBOX)ShoeSeller6368 said:

He looks clunky, lopsided and disproportionate all around. I've seen plenty of threads about Limbo being the ugliest frame but he's got some serious competition now.

Uglies thing since the first Nova Deluxe if you ask me. And that's not easy, considering Ember's Hellchicken Deluxe is a thing.

Personally i'd say the uglies frames (including deluxe skins) are;

- Nova (default and 1st deluxe only)

- Excal Prime

- Frost (default, because of those god damn hockey legs)

- Limbo (the legs again)

- Grendel (who thought this was a good idea)

- Xaku

- Ember's Deluxe (mohawks ain't cool, DE)

- Lavos

- Volt

- Khora (this damn garn-ball for a head)

- Garuda (I hate the arm bands)

- Hydroid

And last but not least,

- Nezha

Edited by o0Despair0o
forgot hydroid
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, (XBOX)ShoeSeller6368 said:

He looks clunky, lopsided and disproportionate all around. 

That's exactly how i would describe an unruly lab alchemist who spends too much time with vials on some underground lab.

In my opinion he looks okay, not a super model type of character but tanky enough and useful. A bit different the playstyle what I like to play with my frames but it is fine. Remember when Nidus released and many critised it's looks? He neither looks s.model but he is balanced and very useful frame if can eat.

• Like 7

Well, at least the first few replies here aren't the same kind of comments like other people used against Hildryn because they claimed "Hildryn isn't a woman because she doesn't look like Nicki Minaj, Shenseea, Cardi B or Kim Kardashian" as they wrote. 

---

Personally, I stopped caring what a frame looks like, it's what he brings to the table to get me to like the frame. And he's different. I've only played him for a few hours and I'm gonna dive into the event soon, but after that I'll use him exclusively for a while. And I'm excited for it, used him in steel path and had absolutely zero issues. 

• Like 3

Lavos is looking OK.

Both him and Grendel have that Nurgle feel, where Grendel is the Plague Marine, Chaos Warrior or Plague Bearer and Lavos has that newly-turned-to-Nurgle-cultist-but-I-used-to-be-a-witch-hunter "insert sinster laughter here" kinda feel. His looks also fits the whole christians-destoyed-all-knowledge-but-I-will-temper-and-master-the-elements alchemist type look from the dark ages.

Edited by SneakyErvin
  • Like 2

On 2021-01-22 at 4:09 AM, Mr.Fluffins said:

Looks of warframes are completely subjective. Some like Lavos, some think he is ok, some hate him, this is normal. If you like his gameplay but hate his looks, all I can say is wait for Tennogen skin or a delux skin for him.

Wait for a Deluxe*. A bad model can't be fixed with a Tennogen skin. This is why for me personally, I don't use anything but the Deluxe Khora skin. Khora's base model is something I just don't like. Lavos is quite ugly for me, and Tennogen can't fix that.

• Like 1

As much as I love the game, we're supposed to be in the future....a lot of skins are way too chunky and have too many protruding parts. Like what's up with that new kneeguard they just released? The one with the long protruding thing coming straight out from the knee? 

Basically only Banshee, Nova, Mag, and a few other that have sleek and slim profiles are appealing. 

I can't event stand Saryns skins even though she's a great frame. I want that darn boil off her leg, and the deluxe just has big flowers that get in the way. 

• Like 1

Well if anything....Lavos looks like he stole Frost's Boots....

...he's ok and sure as heck no-where near the dissmal Hydroid (normal)....just wish they cut-back on those Gloves; stick out a bit too much. helm is ok but sometimes i think they get carried away with adding...too much stuck sticking out on Helms. Have him and Cedo cooking already, looking forward to it...

On 2021-01-22 at 10:31 PM, (NSW)IronElemental said:

He has creepy tubes all over him, his boots and gloves are really big, distorting his silhouette, his head is asymmetrical.

Being a bloated guy is definately the 'classic' nurgle thing, but other than that, grendel looks very clean. I really wanna get my hands on Lavos. I bet i can make him look way more disgusting/creepy than Grendel

But you can't be "bloated with disease" if you aren't, well, bloated. Maybe a deluxe skin can add some body horror. Like, pull things from inside yourself to do a little Nurgle style "alchemy". Heh.

Edited by (PSN)Yggranya

His overall look is fine to me, even better with some nice color scheme, but these huge gloves man...
They look cool but it's hard to aim with some weapons where Lavos' elbows are going up. Biggest offenders are bows and spearguns, 

With the other weapons, it's still a huge chunk of the screen but at least it's not too close to the crosshair.

As someone with experience in concept art, yeah I can confirm that you are onto something. There are a few concepts in character design such as 'Shape Language' and 'Design economy'

Shape language is basically the silhouette and the overall shapes that are supposed to tell you what a character is supposed to be and what their abilities are. Like Grendel has a very strong bottom-heavy silhouette which communicates to you that he's a slow and tanky frame. Which is the opposite of Octavia or Nova, which have rather slim builds, indicating the opposite. In regards to detail, when crafting the skin for your character, most characters try to go for a certain 'rhythm' where you have the same visual pattern repeat with different levels of complexity. You know a frame/skin is designed well if you can apply the most garish colours and it would still look 'fine'. With the large helmet and the coils it's difficult to make out what's going on. Not to mention the leg braces jutting out and putting far more 'weight' on the lower half than necessary.

Design economy is basically the amount of things your character have on them. On one end of the spectrum you have Nova or default Excalibur, which has a sleek and almost barren design, with the small hinges and details being focused around the helmet. Besides being the poster boy, there is a reason why DE uses them to advertise their cosmetics. Meanwhile, Lavos is... a bit messy. The snakes are a really big design element, but they distract from the helmet or the chest area, which already is heavily detailed without cosmetics. Basically you have a lot of stuff going on and your eyes can't really focus on any one thing. 

Personally, Lavos seems like something I'd doodle for fun, but would get trashed if I placed it in my portfolio and showed it at a convention. Obviously, I think the concept artist did a great job, but not all experiments end up being wins in the long run. 

Edited by (NSW)Symberzite
  • Like 3

On 2021-01-24 at 6:13 PM, (PSN)Yggranya said:

But you can't be "bloated with disease" if you aren't, well, bloated. Maybe a deluxe skin can add some body horror. Like, pull things from inside yourself to do a little Nurgle style "alchemy". Heh.

You're only bloated until your skin gives way and nasty droopy intestines trail behind you when you walk. He has a bit of that look to me.

His whole body looks to be made of exposed tubes. I bet with garuda's blood-all-over sigil he'll be damned nurgly. Maybe even that dangly tentacle syandana. He startes cooking today, gonna have fun fashioning him 😀

On 2021-01-22 at 9:28 PM, o0Despair0o said:

Uglies thing since the first Nova Deluxe if you ask me. And that's not easy, considering Ember's Hellchicken Deluxe is a thing.

Personally i'd say the uglies frames (including deluxe skins) are;

- Nova (default and 1st deluxe only)

- Excal Prime

- Limbo (the legs again)

- Grendel (who thought this was a good idea)

- Xaku

- Ember's Deluxe (mohawks ain't cool, DE)

- Lavos

- Volt

- Khora (this damn garn-ball for a head)

- Hydroid

And last but not least,

- Nezha

I'd put Xaku at the top of the ugly chart; it's the only frame I struggled to get to Lv.30 just cuz I stopped playing it for a long time mid grind solely cuz of how awful it looked. I'd rather permastrip it to skeleton form forever if I could. XD

Lavos just looks like a Ivara and Hydroid were mashed together, and anything mashed into a Hydroid is gonna look terrible. I don't like the chest, huge gloves/shoes or helmet. But he survived reaching rank 30 quickly at least.

(  why can't we just get more Ash Kogas for males? :P  )

On 2021-01-23 at 3:28 AM, o0Despair0o said:

- Hydroid

And last but not least,

- Nezha

I think you forgot non-primed atlas too? This weird brick with baconstrips glues to the front is really weird to me. When i leveled him for mr, i just painted him all black and hid him from view with a repala syandana.

I kinda like garuda though. She struck me as some classic decadent styled, dancing vampire lady, mostly because of those armbands. Gracefully flowing around her while everything gets slashed to pieces. Tastes are subjective 😀

I fully agree on frost. Im a frost fanboy, but if he didnt have that harka skin (but thank the heavens the helmets are interchangable) i might not have given him the proper playtime to discover he's completely my style

I love his visual design, his sound design, his gameplay idea.

It's just that playing him feels strange or stilted.

His 4's cooldown seems too high, and his 3 reducing his cooldowns, while cool in theory, doesn't feel right.

Then Helminth-ing anything on him, you lose elemental combinations.  I strongly disagree with that, personally.  Cooldowns of added abilities are fair in my book, but idk, I already feel like I'm waiting for an augment or a reconsideration for parts of his kit.

His 4 is powerful when used right, but I don't think that warrants a 30s cooldown.  Nor should I think it be low like 5s.  22, 25, somewhere in there?

I legitimately had fun leveling and forma-ing him, but I don't understand where to utilize him and his kit.

We'll see how they approach him in the future.

Edited by (XBOX)A Flawed Orange
Wrong numbers

I hate his musketeer gloves and boots, his head looks like a lettuce but at least we got the alt helmet. It's a shame cuz I really dig the style and detail they put into him, the snakes, the glass things on the shoulders... I basically just like the torso, lol.