Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tips for first first youtube video? Glassmaker boss fight.

LillyRaccune

Question

7 answers to this question

Video quality is very poor. There is very little information given to the player other than a brief visual of your mod loadout and general gameplay.

There are other videos in this category that do what you're doing in a similar manner (some with commentary some without).

General rule of thumb. Do not record your computer screen with an external recording device. There is a reason successful Youtube people do not do this. 

If you're going to make a video that is intended to present a strategy you should explain what the strategy is, how your mod loadout (or lack thereof) affects this strategy, and what players can do to replicate the strategy on their end.

What I got from your video is that you're really good at the boss fight and don't need mods to do it. I didn't really get a "this is instructional" vibe from the video at all. I got a "look at me I am really good at the game" vibe. Which, when coupled with the poor audio and visual quality didn't really compel me to watch the entire thing in detail.

7 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

Video quality is very poor. There is very little information given to the player other than a brief visual of your mod loadout and general gameplay.

There are other videos in this category that do what you're doing in a similar manner (some with commentary some without).

General rule of thumb. Do not record your computer screen with an external recording device. There is a reason successful Youtube people do not do this. 

If you're going to make a video that is intended to present a strategy you should explain what the strategy is, how your mod loadout (or lack thereof) affects this strategy, and what players can do to replicate the strategy on their end.

What I got from your video is that you're really good at the boss fight and don't need mods to do it. I didn't really get a "this is instructional" vibe from the video at all. I got a "look at me I am really good at the game" vibe. Which, when coupled with the poor audio and visual quality didn't really compel me to watch the entire thing in detail.

Second this. narration is required if the purpose is instruction.  Text to speech or post text on blank screen before each step. Use a app that will record your screen like everyone else instead of using your phone to do it.  You could record the game and then edit over it after the fact if a streaming app is expensive or difficult. 

Useful feedback:

• Need to provide more instructions!

Useless feedback:

• video resolution sucks
  • you should "copy successful youtube people"
  • use cap software
  • use edit software

Fyi my PC can barely run warframe, it crashes often. Running screen capture software is not an option. I wanted to show tracking enemy and dodging attacks, not high resolution textures or audio.

I will see if youtube will let me put subtitles into the vid. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to create a better video and show your support for the community by sharing it.

51 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

Useful feedback:

• Need to provide more instructions!

Useless feedback:

• video resolution sucks
  • you should "copy successful youtube people"
  • use cap software
  • use edit software

Fyi my PC can barely run warframe, it crashes often. Running screen capture software is not an option. I wanted to show tracking enemy and dodging attacks, not high resolution textures or audio.

I will see if youtube will let me put subtitles into the vid. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to create a better video and show your support for the community by sharing it.

Then don't do videos. Seriously, if you can't record your screen properly don't even bother, because your gameplay is barely visible.

No one told you" you should copy succesful youtubers", they said "quality matters and that's why people who is successful provides it". 

When you do a youtube video, you are "comepting" with other people with your same intentions and almost the same content, why someone will choose to view your bad recorded screen without info when that person could watch a better explained, good quality video with actual info on it?.

You can see a bunch of better made videos here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=glassmaker+boss+tutorial

With or without mods it doesn't matter, since you don't need it for the fight, wich leads me to believe the same thing of the first comment: 

1 hour ago, Leqesai said:

Another point: There is no "useless" feedback, specially when you are actively asking for it, what's the point on dismissing facts if you are asking for them?

If you struggle playing warframe in your PC, why you have so many things running behind the game? Why you play on window mode when that's the mode that consumes more resources, since you are actively keeping your desktop available while playing? Maybe you should learn to optimize your setup, make a better recording and later editing it while you explain using images, promotional videos (you can use warframe promotional videos!), screenshots and even drawings if you can't afford something to make videos. Even a well recorded screen can be useful if it's visible and edited to look better (or at least visible)

And no, people don't need to "create something better" if they criticize you, you are the one who choose to ask for feedback, the one who did a video and the one who will have to endure everything people will say it about it, since was your choice doing that publicly. Doing things for massive audiences comes with consequences, some people will like what you do and others will hate you regardless waht you do. That's life and you cannot change that.

To learn "how to create a quality video", you should learn about "budget friendly" stuff and programs (look up for MSI afterburn if you haven't tried it, use windows movie maker to edit), learn to deal with feedback you don't like and focus on what you like about youtube videos you found "good" in the past, take some notes and try to do something similar under your vision. There is no magic recipe on this.

And before you ignore everything I wrote and send me to do my own videos, I've already done a few and only one of them is a properly well made video, wich was surpirsingly well recieved because I cared about quality on the video itself and quality on the info I was providing. 

In case you wonder how my only well made video looks:

Spoiler

Now with more experience and learning more stuff while I develop my own game, I've noticed a lot of mistakes there that I'm trying to improve before making my second video. People were harsh with my first videos (was a shawzin video playing "To take away its pain", with 12k views, it's on the channel if someone is interested) and I've just ended up gathering feedback and trying to do something better next time. It's the only way to improve. No one knows how hard I trained to learn how to play it with the first key bindings of the shawzin, no one knows how many days I was editing my Magus Cloud video and no one will ever know how hard you (or I) will have to work to make a video that someone else does better on less time. No one cares about our efforts, only the video wich its the result of that hard work and effort.

TL;DR: Learn, improve, repeat. Learn to deal with "unwanted" feedback. There is no shorcuts on creating good quality content...

You're about 4 months late, and glassmaker ends in a few days. You're video is practically irrelevant. 

If you want to use videos as a means to share information, not only does it need to be easy to understand, but it needs to be relevant. 

Your list of Useless Feedback suggests you're probably not ready to be YouTuber. The information you're trying to share is equally important as the method and quality of how you share that information. 

If someone wanted a tutorial of the boss fight, there's plenty of videod out there. Most people would probably watch yours for no more than 5 seconds before finding a better one.

Thank you Vanaukas for the link "query=glassmaker+boss+tutorial" I watched the top four videos. The streamers were wildly moving around their cameras and highly focused on using bullet jumps and aim gliding, some players are not comfortable with that. Also two of them were using their superior builds with adaptation, a mod some players don't have.

You are correct that I need to learn to improve my attitude towards criticism. However, because I already acknowledged the video quality at the outset I do not consider it "constructive feedback".

Finally, I was not trying to create "good quality content". I was trying to create "slap dash" content because the specific elements I felt that were not being addressed in other people's videos.

Thank you Iuvenilis for your contructive feedback. You will be pleased to know that I have no intention of being a "youtuber" or any kind of content streamer. I posted this video to fill a need that other videos don't have. Recap:

• You do not need rare/maxed mods.
  • You can calmly watch the enemy, instead of panicing.
  • You do not need to be good at bullet jumping.

Thank you for your support. I have started to fill in subtitles for my soon-to-be irrelevant video. It is so encouraging to know how you all support "the little guy" in your communities. As I said before, I was hoping some of the players that are still struggling to defeat Nihil will find the help they need somewhere from this community.

Thank you for your time.

@Letter13 Please close this discussion.

Archived