Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could the game do with a revamped movement system?

(PSN)Primord3lion

I have no idea why you would want to rework/revamp warframe parkour... Parkour 2.0 has been the biggest factor keeping me playing. From what I can see Vanquish has nothing it can offer warframe. Just doing a search for videos on warframe movement and on vanquish movement shows (atleast) a massive difference in people caring enough to make a video on the topic.

The only slip and slide in WF is if you run Nezha or Drift mods.

If there are specific features you like, suggest them, do not just say that WF should be more like Vanquish. But, from what I saw there's really only boosted slides in Vanquish and that is sliding, which you seem to be complaining about. Movement seems to be tied to melee aswell, but guess what, in WF you have a lot of stances to choose from all adjusting how you move around with melee.

Some level of revamp? Maybe. I think perhaps we're a tad too able to circumvent the environment, but that's also partly the environment design itself - either they're too small, or they don't have any interesting routes at that appropriate size (coughdeadlockcough). Mayhaps a higher ground speed and a grappling hook. That'd be nice.

Complete overhaul to a Vanquish like system? Hell no, Vanquish is not like Warframe in the slightest, and half the tilesets we have are already poorly built for the movement system we have.

8 minutes ago, Eluminary said:

Warframe this movement system is probably the best thing it's got going in my opinion.  It actually ruins alot of other games for me because it makes most other games feel sluggish.

When you start playing another game and instinctively try bullet jumping, only to remember, "oh yea....this doesn't have that.."

2 hours ago, vanaukas said:

"I played this great game recently and I think this would fit on warframe" the thread. Every single week one of these is made in this forum. This should have the same treatment that "cross save" threads get recently.

Yup, sorry to say, op. we have plenty of "i wish warframe is like this other cool game i play" threads and even the most logical ones are very less likely to happen.

Warframe is warframe.

I might be tempted to suggest something like a block, counter, dodge combat system.

Somewhere in between batman arkham series and mortal kombat and street fighter series. But at the end of day we are just here to shoot things and blow them up, so let's just keep it simple.

It would be nice to have some kind of grappling hook though. For those times where you undershoot a jump or hit something and fall off the map but I am okay with that too it's more entertaining in a funny way, a hilarious fail, rather than an annoyance.

Another thing I would like is the super metroid ultra dash from 94', for the simple reason it gets really, really tiresome having to do 4000 jumps per map, once the whole thing is played out and you just have to get to extraction. I'd like some type of simple, fast movement that takes less clicks.

giphy.gif

... but of course then you have volt and gauss people saying their area is being invaded which I guess is a fair point.

Definitely a drag having to do 300 bullet jumps while people are standing around at extraction every single time.

Of course I can't bring up metroid without giving a shout out to the morphing ball either

hlSyBL3d.gif

Basically you need to just copy everything you can from that game.

Another fun fact, it has a grappling hook.

UnlawfulImpressiveAngelfish-max-1mb.gif

/edit

ps. And let us not forget just how badass the intro is either

8 minutes ago, Voltage said:

Warframes movement system is already addictive. The only thing that should be reworked are things like Necramechs that are clunky in comparison.

Necramechs have a sliding dash that can knock enemies out of the way and transfers their momementum to a jump, as well as a hover they can maintain for as long as they have fuel. Bonewidow also gets the Lunge from her 1 which can let her make a teensy bit more distance, and they both have a ground slam for targeted landings. They're also 10-foot bipedal tanks in comparison to space ninja.

Operators get a fixed-distance dash with no momentum and a movement speed increase if you grind long enough. They're also meant to be 'the will' with a bunch of space magic powers of their own. Yet these ancient beings with physics defying powers are stuck with normal human jumping and a dash?

While I do think Warframe's movement system could use some tweaks (most of our time moving is spent bullet jumping), the absolute last thing I'd want to do is copy another game's movement system. Despite some flaws, Warframe's parkour I think is bar none the best movement system I have ever encountered in a video game, and the sheer enjoyment of being able to move around fluidly in any direction is one of the main reasons why I still enjoy the game even after literal thousands of hours of accumulated playtime. I also think Vanquish is an especially poor example to pick as a prospective solution to "slip and slide" movement, given that the crux of its own movement is its rocket sliding, which is about as slip and slide as it gets.

If we're going to have a serious discussion on Warframe's movement and how to improve it, though, here are my thoughts on its current problems:

• Bullet-jumping is such a powerful move that it overrides the need to use anything else for most of our traversal, including when just moving from one end of a corridor to the other.
  • Sprinting is ridiculously weak, which is also why bullet jumping is better even for lateral movement.
  • There are a few aspects to our movement that I think are redundant: there's no real use to crouch-walking, and even rolling and sliding I don't think serve much of a purpose outside of building and maintaining momentum during our bullet jump-powered salmon flopping, with the rare exception of the occasional low gap to pass through, or the passive on Limbo (which arguably itself makes rolling unpleasant and inconvenient for movement).
  • Our wall movement is a little awkward, and I think the only downgrade from Parkour 1.0, where we could wall run. Currently we just kinda hop.
  • We still enter aim-glide when we auto-block, and trying to use the maneuver with a gun that has a powerful zoom will severely mess up the player's field of view mid-flight. Effectively, aim-gliding gets really janky the moment one flies about with a melee weapon or sniper rifle (or the Seer, if you're a masochist).
  • Hard falls suck. They're a mechanic that exists just to punish newer players, as more experienced players learn to slide out of them and effectively make them cease to exist. In the case where a player falls into a pit, the hard fall can singlehandedly get them killed, or worse yet, trap them in an infinite loop if they slip out of bounds while locked into the hard fall animation.
  • Far too many warframes have excessively long ability casting animations that basically just stun us. Animation locks could be fine for abilities with large cooldowns in some other, slower video game, but given that this is Warframe... yeah, not a match.
  • Necramech movement. Just... all of it.

My general suggestions would include the following:

• Remove the crouch button entirely (and therefore bullet-jumping and sliding), and adjust Nezha and Slide mods accordingly.
  • Remove rolling (and rework Limbo's passive), place our current sprint with in-room Archwing, giving us massive speed in a given direction at a cost in maneuverability (i.e. good for traversing long distances and gaining short bursts of momentum, bad for performing more complex maneuvers such as navigating tighter spaces or changing direction on the fly).
  • Remove aim-gliding, allow us to slow our rate of descent in the same manner as aim-gliding while holding the jump button. Blocking and zooming in should no longer make us glide.
  • Allow us to latch onto walls by holding the jump button, rather than by zooming in, let us wall latch indefinitely (and rework Loki's' passive), and let us wall run in any direction.
  • Remove hard falls (and rework Valkyr's passive). If we fall into a pit, have our Archwing instantly give us a vertical boost instead of resetting our position.
  • Remove the animation locks on abilities that currently have them, allowing us to move while casting.
  • Remove all of the animation-induced stuns on our Necramechs, e.g. when exiting our slide, remove sprinting and make holding the sprint button immediately make us slide with far better turning speed, remove crouching, buff their base movement speed to their current sprinting speed, bring hovering back to holding the jump button, and remove the engine resource entirely (Stamina was bad for Parkour 1.0, we don't need it on our Necramechs).

EDIT: Several players have also brought up level design, which I also agree is a big part of movement in Warframe. The problem with many older tilesets (and a couple of newer ones) is that they're not really designed for our parkour, which means we can't use our movement to its fullest extent. Changes I'd like to see:

• Change older tilesets with cramped, overly angular, and often flat designs to be much more open and smoother to maneuver, with plenty of room to flex our parkour muscles. The Corpus Gas City and Corpus Ship tilesets I think are both good examples of well-designed tilesets that complement our parkour.
  • This bears special mention, simply because it's done so often for whichever reason, but remove lips on ledges and doors. Most doors in this game have lips that make us ledge-grab over them instead of gracefully sliding into them, and many ledges have lips or railings of their own that make it impossible to climb over them properly. There is no reason for any of this to exist, as it just makes our movement feel less smooth.
  • This should go without saying, but adjust the skybox on tilesets so that we don't get reset just by jumping a little too high. The Grineer Settlement tileset on Mars has the most egregious examples of this kind of problem, I find.

Oh, and while we're at it, I think our movement would benefit significantly if we didn't get knocked down, staggered, or otherwise had control over our frames taken away. Hard CC can be fine in other, slower games, albeit in proportionate doses (strong stuns should only come from rare, telegraphed moves on enemies we don't fight in large numbers at a time), but in Warframe it just feels awful, particularly as it can be a death sentence for squishier frames at higher levels, and many common enemies can apply it almost constantly from all sides. All of this, by the way, becomes a non-issue the moment the player eventually obtains and uses Primed Sure Footed, but until then, hard CC can be the cause of a lot of unpleasant moments and unfair deaths, while also clashing completely with the freedom and control of our own movement. It also currently makes weapons with any sort of AoE more annoying to use than they ought to be, especially those weak or niche enough to not need to discourage players any further.

2 hours ago, Voltage said:

Warframes movement system is already addictive. The only thing that should be reworked are things like Necramechs that are clunky in comparison.

I like the clunkiness though! It gives a mechanical, weighty feel to the mechs and I think matching the movement to the look was brilliant.

warframe's movement is one of the best i've experienced, really doesn't need any changes.

only thing that is a minor pet-peeve is not able to heavy attack with melee weapon when you have your gun out, you need to switch to melee to do it. remove the middle man DE pls 

2EeLE.gif CTYDN.gif

16 minutes ago, ReddyDisco said:

warframe's movement is one of the best i've experienced, really doesn't need any changes.

only thing that is a minor pet-peeve is not able to heavy attack with melee weapon when you have your gun out, you need to switch to melee to do it. remove the middle man DE pls 

I like the way we move now it's so fluid, you get a NO Vote from me OP.

The movement is fine, probably one of the best movement systems in any game I've played in recent memory. What needs updated is some of the older maps that were made before the new movement system was put into place. Things like small geometry which juts out from a wall and makes wall jumping more difficult than it should be. 

The one point of clunk I'd like to revert is the crouching/sprinting thing they updated awhile back. Sprinting used to cancel your crouch state instead of automatically putting you back into a crouch once you get done sprinting. I greatly preferred how it used to work as it resulted in far less moments where I was "stuck" crouching when I thought I should be standing up. 

Archived