Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New idea for frame with unique mobility mechanics

Medbot

Hi, I just wanted to share a fun idea I had for a unique stealth type frame revolving around the theme of sabotage and zero point energy (reference to the gravity gun from hl2). What I think sets this frame concept apart is the interesting mobility mechanic and the idea of a stealth frame that doesn't rely on invisibility. I got the inspiration both from a crazy rocket-jumping soldier and from a certain arachnid themed superhero. The specific abilities I thought of just from playing the game, especially dealing with challenges posed by stealth missions: the annoyance of navigating some data capture rooms that force you to wall cling to avoid falling to your death or setting off alarms, getting seen by the sneaky tart that goes off to set the alarms, and needing a backup when faced with a big assault force blocking your way. Despite the obvious stealth applications, I believe this frame would still have plenty of usefulness for other mission types.

I haven't tried formulating any energy/armor/health values because I'm honestly afraid that my idea will flop given that mainstream players now seem to be all about performance and not fun mechanics. The name is also a bit of a placeholder for the same reasons.

Passive effects: cannot bullet jump, wall crawling counts as a wall latch for the duration, 50% weapon silencing while not moving
Note: the wall latch detail has potential for some strong mod synergy. The weapon silencing perk is a tad bland I admit but could be nice if you prefer noisier weapons and want to free up a mod slot.

Ability 1: Gravity walker
-(tap) Tadmir activates his zero point energy field to crawl onto walls and ceilings for a small energy upkeep, tap again to release and reorient, landing on top of an enemy triggers a finisher move
-(hold) A zero point energy beam instantly pulls Tadmir towards a surface indicated by the cursor and clings to it, releasing the hold mid flight cancels the action but maintains Tadmir's momentum

Note: the energy cost of this ability needs to be pretty low so that it can be used often. Also, movement speed for crawling would need to be at least decent meaning that it would probably look more like walking on all fours, which also means that you would need to stop moving in order to hold your weapon and fire. I would hesitate to make the held ability a full swinging grappling hook just because it's such an oft used trope.

Ability 2: Flash bang
-Affix a proximity explosive with scaling damage that releases a pulse after detonation which causes enemies in a wider range to reset their alertness level to zero
-(hold) throw the explosive for extra range

Note: helpful for getting the situation back in control after being seen. I wish a lot of "1" abilities in Warframe had scaling damage, but I think it's definitely justified for a "2".

Ability 3: Backup plan
-Launch into the air and receive a large weapon buff as long as Tadmir hasn't touched the ground, self damage and shock-waves throw Tadmir back into the air with decreasing effectiveness each time

Note: I say decreasing effectiveness to prevent players from bouncing around indefinitely. Alternatively, this ability could synergize with a flash bang instead to boost a falling Tadmir back into the air for less energy and without the cool down.

Ability 4: Sabotage
-Release a number of drones which disable certain targets including Eximus auras, alarm consoles, sensors bars and cameras that have health (not in Kuva fortress)

Note: has a limited number of targets, but potentially a very large effective range if not enough targets are found. Ideally not so many drones that Eximus units give up entirely, but not so few that the drones are used up by nearby consoles and have no effect on enemies.

Let me know what you think and please comment suggestions. :)

I read a lot of these abilities and think "Is that it?". Really cool concepts but they need to be given some more practical applications.

1 hour ago, Medbot said:
Passive effects: cannot bullet jump, wall crawling counts as a wall latch for the duration, 50% weapon silencing while not moving
Note: the wall latch detail has potential for some strong mod synergy. The weapon silencing perk is a tad bland I admit but could be nice if you prefer noisier weapons and want to free up a mod slot.

Weapon silencing is very niche, and only having 50%, along with a condition, just doesn't make sense when a frame like Banshee gets completely silenced weapons all the time. Not being able to bullet jump is a MASSIVE turn off here. Players love bullet jumping, and it's extremely practical for every single mission type you do. Replacing bullet jumping with wall crawling doesn't cut it when we have areas with no latchable walls (think wide room areas and open worlds). Suggestion: Allow players to have both bullet jumping and wall crawling, while giving players fully silenced weapons and a bonus to headshot damage while staying still or while wall crawling.

1 hour ago, Medbot said:
Ability 1: Gravity walker
-(tap) Tadmir activates his zero point energy field to crawl onto walls and ceilings for a small energy upkeep, tap again to release and reorient, landing on top of an enemy triggers a finisher move
-(hold) A zero point energy beam instantly pulls Tadmir towards a surface indicated by the cursor and clings to it, releasing the hold mid flight cancels the action but maintains Tadmir's momentum

Note: the energy cost of this ability needs to be pretty low so that it can be used often. Also, movement speed for crawling would need to be at least decent meaning that it would probably look more like walking on all fours, which also means that you would need to stop moving in order to hold your weapon and fire. I would hesitate to make the held ability a full swinging grappling hook just because it's such an oft used trope.

Very cool concept here, but I'm not sure how often this would get use, considering how rough and uneven many walls and ceilings can be, which would undoubtedly cause technical issues with this frame. The grappling hook seems like a really fun idea, as long as it is given the right capabilities, can be used for something other than mobility, and isn't only limited to being in wall crawl mode. Suggestion: Allow the grappling hook to target enemies to have some effect without pulling you to the enemy, maybe a stun or a sleep that allows the frame to position itself to land on an enemy for the finisher, or even just to have some crowd control in the kit for heavy units.

1 hour ago, Medbot said:
Ability 2: Flash bang
-Affix a proximity explosive with scaling damage that releases a pulse after detonation which causes enemies in a wider range to reset their alertness level to zero
-(hold) throw the explosive for extra range

Resetting alert levels doesn't do much in the majority of content, as enemies are constantly alerted, so in most content this is a simple grenade with scaling damage that you can stick to surfaces, which is cool, but this needs another effect to it for it to be a unique and worthwhile ability. Suggestion: Rework this ability to be a small latchable surface for the rough terrain that can't be latched onto, while also giving the player the ability to freely grapple to it with a small bonus. Holding the ability will detonate the latchable surface, blinding enemies that are close, dealing damage, and resetting alert levels in a wider area. Throwing the device onto a floor will automatically detonate it, allowing this ability to be used like a proper flashbang.

1 hour ago, Medbot said:
Ability 3: Backup plan
-Launch into the air and receive a large weapon buff as long as Tadmir hasn't touched the ground, self damage and shock-waves throw Tadmir back into the air with decreasing effectiveness each time

Note: I say decreasing effectiveness to prevent players from bouncing around indefinitely. Alternatively, this ability could synergize with a flash bang instead to boost a falling Tadmir back into the air for less energy and without the cool down.

This ability just doesn't fit in the kit at all, in my opinion. So far we have a stealthy acrobatic frame that wants to be attached to walls to get the drop on unaware enemies for silent takedowns, and now we have the use of loud explosive weapons (passive isn't active since you aren't still) to float around and shoot things. Besides that, this ability seems so shallow, as it is simply a damage buff while midair along with the ability to gain extra jumps if you are using a specific weapon type (or want to use energy to prolong the buff with your grenade). Suggestion: I'd honestly remove this ability and try again. It seems fun but goes against the kit completely, so keep the idea in your head for a different frame. This frame could use some sort of debuff, or maybe a way to avoid damage (damage reduction doesn't fit thematically), so I'd start there.

1 hour ago, Medbot said:
Ability 4: Sabotage
-Release a number of drones which disable certain targets including Eximus auras, alarm consoles, sensors bars and cameras that have health (not in Kuva fortress)

Note: has a limited number of targets, but potentially a very large effective range if not enough targets are found. Ideally not so many drones that Eximus units give up entirely, but not so few that the drones are used up by nearby consoles and have no effect on enemies.

This is Mirage's second ability, along with the inclusion of disabling Eximus auras. Mirage's second ability is terrible, and Eximus units are not common enough in the content that is regularly played. This needs a primary effect that is consistently useful and powerful in the majority of missions. Suggestion: Drones latch onto enemy heads (with some target priority for heavier units), stunning the main enemy, and silencing enemies in a radius around them, including disabling Eximus auras. The player can shoot drones off the heads of enemies (which would be easier to do if you are latching above them) to detonate the drones, dealing the damage the drone receives to everyone around it. If no enemies are alerted in the radius, this ability will prioritize and disable enemy security devices.

Note: The headshot multiplier from the passive, along with other sources, will increase damage to drones

5 minutes ago, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

I read a lot of these abilities and think "Is that it?". Really cool concepts but they need to be given some more practical applications.

Weapon silencing is very niche, and only having 50%, along with a condition, just doesn't make sense when a frame like Banshee gets completely silenced weapons all the time. Not being able to bullet jump is a MASSIVE turn off here. Players love bullet jumping, and it's extremely practical for every single mission type you do. Replacing bullet jumping with wall crawling doesn't cut it when we have areas with no latchable walls (think wide room areas and open worlds). Suggestion: Allow players to have both bullet jumping and wall crawling, while giving players fully silenced weapons and a bonus to headshot damage while staying still or while wall crawling.

Very cool concept here, but I'm not sure how often this would get use, considering how rough and uneven many walls and ceilings can be, which would undoubtedly cause technical issues with this frame. The grappling hook seems like a really fun idea, as long as it is given the right capabilities, can be used for something other than mobility, and isn't only limited to being in wall crawl mode. Suggestion: Allow the grappling hook to target enemies to have some effect without pulling you to the enemy, maybe a stun or a sleep that allows the frame to position itself to land on an enemy for the finisher, or even just to have some crowd control in the kit for heavy units.

Resetting alert levels doesn't do much in the majority of content, as enemies are constantly alerted, so in most content this is a simple grenade with scaling damage that you can stick to surfaces, which is cool, but this needs another effect to it for it to be a unique and worthwhile ability. Suggestion: Rework this ability to be a small latchable surface for the rough terrain that can't be latched onto, while also giving the player the ability to freely grapple to it with a small bonus. Holding the ability will detonate the latchable surface, blinding enemies that are close, dealing damage, and resetting alert levels in a wider area. Throwing the device onto a floor will automatically detonate it, allowing this ability to be used like a proper flashbang.

This ability just doesn't fit in the kit at all, in my opinion. So far we have a stealthy acrobatic frame that wants to be attached to walls to get the drop on unaware enemies for silent takedowns, and now we have the use of loud explosive weapons (passive isn't active since you aren't still) to float around and shoot things. Besides that, this ability seems so shallow, as it is simply a damage buff while midair along with the ability to gain extra jumps if you are using a specific weapon type (or want to use energy to prolong the buff with your grenade). Suggestion: I'd honestly remove this ability and try again. It seems fun but goes against the kit completely, so keep the idea in your head for a different frame. This frame could use some sort of debuff, or maybe a way to avoid damage (damage reduction doesn't fit thematically), so I'd start there.

This is Mirage's second ability, along with the inclusion of disabling Eximus auras. Mirage's second ability is terrible, and Eximus units are not common enough in the content that is regularly played. This needs a primary effect that is consistently useful and powerful in the majority of missions. Suggestion: Drones latch onto enemy heads (with some target priority for heavier units), stunning the main enemy, and silencing enemies in a radius around them, including disabling Eximus auras. The player can shoot drones off the heads of enemies (which would be easier to do if you are latching above them) to detonate the drones, dealing the damage the drone receives to everyone around it. If no enemies are alerted in the radius, this ability will prioritize and disable enemy security devices.

Good points! I guess it is a bit of a stretch to tie all these ideas into a single frame.

I think the latchable surface is a neat idea that could work well as a node that can grappled to or from with a lock on mechanic. Would give a safer vantage point for missions with close combat enemies and provide a bonus/synergize with mods like Proton Jet. You're right that many maps wouldn't allow a very smooth gravity-shift like mechanic, but maybe you could deploy multiple surfaces to quickly jump between.

The aerial launch mechanic would probably have to be for another frame, perhaps combined with the idea of landing on enemies to kill them. You could steer yourself through the air like a projectile, gaining damage immunity and creating an explosion. Being thrown by self damage instead of staggered could be neat passive instead, and would give people a reason to hate self damage less. I just like rocket jumping: it's goofy, its fun, it gets you around fast.

The drone ability could latch onto enemy's heads to draw in projectiles for consistent head shots, preferentially targeting Eximus units and heavies (honestly I don't why DE didn't make the Bullet Attracter proc work this way, its pointless as is). Eximus units may not be common on some maps, but on survival infested maps the parasitic ones can decimate your energy reserves. Your choices in that situation are get out of range or kill them faster, both of which are difficult when you're being swarmed by massive hoards.

Archived