Jump to content
Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

[Concluded] DTLS Testing


Recommended Posts

You may recall our plans to test DTLS in November of last year: 

The time has come! 

DTLS Roll-Out is here, USE THIS THREAD for reporting problems! 

We are testing some new network code out in this Hotfix. Even though we’ve tested it extensively on the Test Cluster we need more coverage!

The primary goal of these changes is to improve networking for Xbox players by replacing some proprietary network code; when these changes make it to Xbox they will enable our automatic proxy service that already helps players with Strict NAT and other network problems on other platforms (this is something we’ve wanted to get to Xbox players for a long time).

The added advantage of this new code is that it should be more secure and more robust on networks that corrupt network packets (we already defend against this to some degree but the new code is more thorough). This won’t make your ping any better but if something is mangling network packets we might be able to avoid it causing bugs in the game.

We’ll be monitoring the roll-out closely and will be able to disable quickly if we encounter problems.

  • Like 37
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EdinaMonsoon said:

someone pls explain this to somebody dumb like me

Poor connection now = Weird stuff in-game

Poor connection with new DTLS = Less weird stuff in-game

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Truk14 said:

Ant chance this eliminates the Live requirement?

Didn't Xbox already say they're going to make F2P games not need a subscription at some point?

At least that's what they said after the whole price increase situation went down the toilet

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm not being funny but if you think anyone is going to believe that a 6.5 gig download for PC is going be needed so that Xbox players can have less connection problems, should give up eating mushrooms :D

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sp4wnK1ll3r said:

Hi, I'm not being funny but if you think anyone is going to believe that a 6.5 gig download for PC is going be needed so that Xbox players can have less connection problems, should give up eating mushrooms :D

This is just part of the update, and the stuff in this thread isn't just about xbox

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Deathdealero said:

So what was that 6.5 GB update for? that cant have been connectivity alone right? anyone else see anything new? i checked the in game market to see if they added new stuff but nope? 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sp4wnK1ll3r said:

Hi, I'm not being funny but if you think anyone is going to believe that a 6.5 gig download for PC is going be needed so that Xbox players can have less connection problems, should give up eating mushrooms :D

That's because it's not just that. It is another ensmallening update so most of the download is redownloacing textures. It is going to make the game 3.6 gigs smaller when you download it, as well as improve texture fidelity, and audio quality.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sp4wnK1ll3r said:

Hi, I'm not being funny but if you think anyone is going to believe that a 6.5 gig download for PC is going be needed so that Xbox players can have less connection problems, should give up eating mushrooms :D

Look into the Dev Workshop before commenting here.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well i love to see  improved graphics. And now after the update like somone above me said it fps spikes., im running 3090 so i should not have these as i never had them before. :/ 

Edited by Deathdealero
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Deathdealero said:

Well i love to see  improved graphics. And now after the update like somone above me said it fps spikes., im running 3090 so i should not have these as i never had them before. :/ 

 

11 minutes ago, JackBazza said:

After patch the game is a horrible slide show

 Removing Dx10 support accidentally defaulted everyone to using the DirectX 12 Beta! We'll get a fix out soon but you can reset this in the launcher settings if you're having problems.

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

You may recall our plans to test DTLS in November of last year: 

The time has come! 

DTLS Roll-Out is here, USE THIS THREAD for reporting problems! 

We are testing some new network code out in this Hotfix. Even though we’ve tested it extensively on the Test Cluster we need more coverage!

The primary goal of these changes is to improve networking for Xbox players by replacing some proprietary network code; when these changes make it to Xbox they will enable our automatic proxy service that already helps players with Strict NAT and other network problems on other platforms (this is something we’ve wanted to get to Xbox players for a long time).

The added advantage of this new code is that it should be more secure and more robust on networks that corrupt network packets (we already defend against this to some degree but the new code is more thorough). This won’t make your ping any better but if something is mangling network packets we might be able to avoid it causing bugs in the game.

We’ll be monitoring the roll-out closely and will be able to disable quickly if we encounter problems.

So is this out for PC, or only Xbox? I am confused, since the quoted post said it would be for PC too, but this post here only mentions Xbox in the goal/

But yes I have been looking forward to this!! My ISP has Double NAT and most of the ISPs in my country do too. Makes it literally impossible to play with friends in my own city on my same ISP because they have Double NAT too. Double NAT + Double NAT = impossible.
But I have a 50-50 chance of connecting to other players.

Anyway, I hope this network update helps with that. You all would have my gratitude.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...