[Concluded] DTLS Testing

Someone I was trying to trade with and I kept inviting each other (both ways) to our different dojos and squads just now. We would receive the [accept] [decline] option but hitting accept wouldn't actually put us in a squad. We figured it had something to do with this test so we called off the trade lol 

No ideea but on PC is lagging like hell ,just done the update and optimized the cache,running the game on an M2 SSD.just a feedback> love the game tho :D

Edited by Maximus.XI
  • Like 1

As of the hotfix, I am unable to play the game, as it crashes during the loading screen that comes before the login screen.

Edit: I am a fool; it was because I was using Directx 12. Switching back to 11 fixed the issue.

Edited by ToravisuXIII
1 hour ago, Eight8it.Gauss said:

any1 else gettin weird fps drops that last 1 second? Didn't start happening until after the update for me...

Yup, I'm getting fps drops across the board now.

• Like 1

DE please get better microphones... You sound like Im getting the sound on a television from 1950. A proper soundcard and mic should be handed out to everyone doing homestreams.
Since all DE should already have gamingrigs its not expensive to provide them with proper audioeq. Proper soundcards and high fidelity mics sorely needed.

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

This won’t make your ping any better but if something is mangling network packets we might be able to avoid it causing bugs in the game.

Hopefully that fixes a lot of bugs since most of them occur because of client to host issues.

When listening to the new sounds I could hear the increased clarity all around. Something that bugged me on the Earth station was with the fires all around and with the clarity I finally pinpointed the missing part. Flames devour air, the larger the fire the more airflow. All there is, is the crackling of the fires. There's no Woosh of moving air.

Like here:

11 minutes ago, DragoonStorm1 said:

So is this out for PC, or only Xbox? I am confused, since the quoted post said it would be for PC too, but this post here only mentions Xbox in the goal/

But yes I have been looking forward to this!! My ISP has Double NAT and most of the ISPs in my country do too. Makes it literally impossible to play with friends in my own city on my same ISP because they have Double NAT too. Double NAT + Double NAT = impossible.
But I have a 50-50 chance of connecting to other players.

PC.
PC is just the extended test guineapig for console builds because there is next to extra fee or approval process from "partners" on PC.
2x double nat is a bit exaggerated. Your isp does 'Carrier grade NAT' which is mostly transparent if it set up correctly.
So you have a setup with: local nat (you) - carrier level nat (ISP) - local nat (friends). With unknown firewall and router settings at both endpoints. That is only really a problem if your isp does carrier grade nat in a wrong way (either they are bad at it or/and they are severely abusing their customers).

TBF this will not do very much against your problem or against bad connections (and wifi / wireless internet). Lost/broken packets are lost packets anyway. If you are going to go do retransmission (many frames later, meaning lots of 'catch up' bursting) you may as well just run a TCP connection, instead of this "SSL for UDP" thing which is kinda what DTLS is in layman terms.
That's just the cold hard facts, there is no good way around bad internet in a low latency scenario. For that very reason in the sim racing scene, people prefer wiring up with good oldfashioned cat5/cat6 ethernet and fiber/coax/dsl internet - packetloss (or retransmit lag) is intolerable to them when driving close to losing control.

DTLS does help with detection of connection tampering, such as various forms of packet injection and packet alteration, and if the library is hardened well it also helps against replay attacks. Those have been used by some types of cheats in online games since about 1999. But it only becomes harder up to a point, it merely takes a deeper effort to do.
Also helps a bit against packetdroppers, meaning it provides a network level way of detecting it, as opposed to having to app-level awareness. Mostly a exercise in who does the heavy lifting: meaning someone elses DTLS library or warframe having to think about when you should give up waiting on a missing packet. It does in not in itself make it less of a problem that drops occur.

It also does not help against incompetent or greedy ISP that treats udp as a kind of garbage that should be blocked (because it could be torrent/botnet data) unless you pay extra for it, usually hidden behind a 'you are not allowed to run servers on a consumer grade connection' clause, so you can be extorted into upgrading with "you'll have to upgrade to xxx if you want to run servers". Of any kind, including harmless little game sessions for 4 people in warframe.
Artificial scarcity being used against you - and if you are in the USA, mostly likely in a local monopoly situation with no alternatives.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity because I don't really know too much about the fancy networking terms and I don't really know what all this does.

Would this possibly be able to resolve any of the chat disconnects and reconnects? (10054 error)
Or does this only do stuff in actual game host connectivity?

Some thing i want to say about Warframe UPnP detection. I just add UDP 4950&4955 in my Router's UPnP settings, but in Warframe when i click analyse network it says "All systems nominal No UPnP or NAT-PMP detected". I want Warframe detect UPnP and it will help with P2P connection experience. Last but not least, new network code is very nice. So consider about redesigning the UDP settings in Warframe.

Edited by Jacktimi
47分钟前 , ZabaYaga 说:

Just out of curiosity because I don't really know too much about the fancy networking terms and I don't really know what all this does.

Would this possibly be able to resolve any of the chat disconnects and reconnects? (10054 error)
Or does this only do stuff in actual game host connectivity?

you have to check you ISP connectivity to Warframe Chat Server 104.194.10.213

Edited by Jacktimi
9 minutes ago, Jacktimi said:

you have to check you ISP connectivity to Warframe Chat Server 104.194.10.213

I tried everything I could find and the last thing that I could find was forwarding some ports and/or changing some other settings in my router. Unfortunately my ISP doesn't allow me to change any settings in the router, can't even login to the damn thing as they change the default login to prevent this.  It's somewhat manageable as when it disconnects it will reconnect for a moment if I actively have the chat window open for a short minute.

Was just hoping this new networking thing they are doing would have some impact on this as well and miraculously fix it. Guess I have to hope for a miracle another day. 😅

2分钟前 , ZabaYaga 说:

I tried everything I could find and the last thing that I could find was forwarding some ports and/or changing some other settings in my router. Unfortunately my ISP doesn't allow me to change any settings in the router, can't even login to the damn thing as they change the default login to prevent this.  It's somewhat manageable as when it disconnects it will reconnect for a moment if I actively have the chat window open for a short minute.

Was just hoping this new networking thing they are doing would have some impact on this as well and miraculously fix it. Guess I have to hope for a miracle another day. 😅

10054 error means you ISP or some device (maybe your router)or software in your pc cut the connection!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jacktimi said:

10054 error means you ISP or some device (maybe your router)or software in your pc cut the connection!

Thank you for clarifying this for me! :)
Now I understand the problem a little better and hopefully I'll be able to locate the culprit with a little bit more success. I'll double check if the same problem persists on another PC and otherwise I'll have to check in with my ISP when I know for sure the problem is on their side (which I already was about 70% because of being locked out from router).

May the Light of RNG forever shine upon you, kind stranger.

So, took me an hour and a half to download because I have plebe-net; instantly crashed on start.  Told me to reboot.  Did so.  Now the launcher can't connect to check for updates.

This is great, DE, I normally love you, but seriously, what the frak?  

All I wanted to do was get my daily garbage, now my client is entirely unplayable.  A+

Already swapped back to DX11 but I'm getting terrible connection now. Frame running toward camera, inability to melee, host dropouts, fashion frame not changing colors, just overall this is terrible. The game isn't 'unplayable' just... Unenjoyable. I use Warframe to de-stress and I'm going to sleep tonight without that.