Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Death Becomes us

ThumpumGood

1 hour ago, ThumpumGood said:

suggestion

It's a good idea but... there is one little problem.
Death will be "feared" only by new-ish players with not enough mods/experience(I'm not talking about mr).
They will be the ones hit hardest by your suggestion.
I have not died in such a long time, that it's not even funny anymore(no it's not a brag, it's a fact) and the few times I died before that was due to immense afk of boredom, not a real danger. No "old" layer will be bothered at all by this, but new-ish players will be...and it even can make them quit, I don't know.

Just now, o0Despair0o said:

"bUt ThAtS wHy I sAiD oNlY sTeEl PaTh"

Sorry, had to do it.

Some joke from the comments? :D

That doesn't change anything, there are a lot of "new-ish" players out there. - a.k.a. "high" mr newbies that leveled a lot of junk and cleared the starchart. ^^

27 minutes ago, ThumpumGood said:

No mods... Grendel farm. Soloed.
Im MR27 and probably enough XP saved to hit 29. After 16, MR is more rep cap, traces, etc.
Arbitration? No. You can die endlessly in Arbitration if you have a team that will rez you. Still no fear of dying. And you can just do it again in an hour.

EVERY game has stuff. Not every game makes you get good or makes you think about how to get better, like Warframe used to. That was the joy of finding this game. It wasn't just about stuff. Sure, stuff made it easier. But it was the idea that it wasn't just about the grind. Last year at this time, I stopped playing and took a break. I went through my list of games tryingto think of what to play. Every one of them except games like Tetris, Bejeweled and those sort of simple games, was about grinding gear and then waiting for the next installment of what to grind. Admit it. Grind= Boring. Been playing online in one form or another since Diablo-1's co-op. And everything has been a gear grind. Then when everyone gets bored, they give em enemies that are buffed and have a gazillion hit points and call THAT a challenge. That's not a challenge. Staying alive.... THAT's a challenge.

You still dont get it

Iam now doing simaris scans for subsuming warframes to helninth

Imagine how happy i would be if i got locked for 24h from SP which rewards me with more standing and yeah it would be hard to pull of but even so i wiuld see only frustration and no joy

I would say other way of executing your idea is if you die u failed mission automstically but that again would be frustrating not challenging

And let me repeat u have noble idea just execution is bad

We want more demanding content not more time wasting content with more time gates

1 minute ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

I actually liked super jump. And with a few changes, tweaks and updates, it'd be definitely better than.. Other options. 

Tbf, people claiming warframe was harder or hard are heavily forgetting stuff like attacks going through walls, cc going through walls.. 

The only time something is "hard" is being a new player and not knowing anything about the game, like almost all people experience if they don't watch and spend hours daily before playing with guides etc. 

It's like this with every game. 

I liked to be able to jump that high (until helminth I've been using a long range long duration excal since suits my cc needs) in just a second, shoot down and then smashing enemies to the ground. Was an amazing feel that I really miss. I hope DE someday re-insert some old abilities into the helminth system, I'm sure I missing more funny stuff.

52 minutes ago, ThumpumGood said:

Hence the reason I said NOT on regular but in Steel path. We dont want to lose new players.

Yeah. That doesn't matter. The same rules apply to SP. Just about every frame can be used there. 

And dying is still not a usual thing. Even if DE would buff the ever living out of the enemies to make them super deadly and super tanky we have invisible and cc frames. Or Limbo.

So again just the unexperienced players players with less frames would suffer from this.

11 minutes ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

I actually liked super jump. And with a few changes, tweaks and updates, it'd be definitely better than.. Other options

It might be a better choice than Radial javelin. Honestly that ability is just so incredibly useless on excalibur that anything is better.

To everyone of you who came into this thread just to be insulting or get that post count up, No one cares what you think. No one ever has. That's why you're here. You have a vested interest in you. And while my suggested change seems like I only have a vested interest in me, the suggestion comes from the question to DE: You had a great game. Why did you become every other game?

Wow.

I really thought I had seen some seriously narcissistic and entitled trolls on these forums, but then I saw your posts.

This whole bully-based argument of trying to yell "you are just a scaredy-cat" is a classic, but you really double down on it.

Does this type of thing work for you? Are people actually swayed by this bullying in your real life so you tried here?

Because this is some seriously playground-level drivel...

Trying to get people to come around to your POV by trying to make them self-conscious scaredy-cats...too funny.

So, if I encounter a bug 3 times on a Warframe I mainly play that either causes death, or requires I kill myself to fix it, I'm supposed to not play it unless I waste time on copies? Seems like a stupid form of punishment just because you can't be bothered to revive other people.

If we're using our personal experiences, I pug every single run, have been since for ever, and I rarely come across instances where someone won't revive, If they don't revive it's either because the person died so far away, or is leeching; even then, for endless missions, some people have no awareness to the fact the leecher is dying since they're leeching and keep reviving them.

Death isn't feared because it's uncommon for anyone with experience. If I die, it's because I either afked in a multi-hour endless mission for too long, bugs, and on SP the random 1 shot that bypasses shields [happened once since SP released].

There's also arbitration where there's already somewhat of a limited revive system, dying makes you a hindrance to most people.

2 hours ago, ThumpumGood said:

Death has been made to be something we no longer fear in Warframe. If you fear affinity loss, just do SO or ESO. With the adding of 1 death per arcane, you can die up to 6 times in a single mission. Death is no longer feared. It's gone from a risk to a tactic. And by tactic, I have seen people who will draw the enemies in and die, get up with the knockdown explosion of reviving and leave the mobs wondering what happened or just obliterate them. So what's the point of Kora, Zenurik and other gathering abilities when you just need to stand in the middle of the mobs and die?

For those who are new, death was 3 times per DAY for each frame. After you died 3 times, you had to pick a different frame to play. Reviving your team wasnt just polite, it was crucial. And now we rarely get revived even as a polite gesture. Pest go down and you hear over voice, "Just leave it." And leaving some one dead is more of a speed tactic to get through missions faster. With the speed factor, reviving yourself is now considered the polite thing to do.

Death is no longer a risk. And now to the suggestion. Go back to 3 deaths per day per frame. (shhhh wait for it). But since we dont want to shoo off potential WarFrame inductees with that level of difficulty, Add it to the Steel path. Make Death feared again. Add back in that adrenaline rush of near misses and scrambling to get that team mate off of the floor. Add in a reason to use the healing pods, a real NEED for healing/energizing dash instead of it just being a convenience we all abuse. Bring back the excitement that got me and so many others, hooked on Warframe to begin with.

I actually agree with you about death penalty is zero currently, and would be better to have some penalty. Warframe currently is like playing old Doom with iddqd (godmode-cheat). Your suggestion about steelpath and 3 death/frame is too soft for my taste. 

Arbitration death is the only current different mechanics where death actually have some weight, and in that game mode if I die eventually I die in shame, and feel sorry to my teammates. However when some lower MR player die in every 3min that becomes a bit tedious to consta-res.

Also I am not sure why all the hate from some users. It is an idea about a specific non-factor gamemode which will probably never get implemented, however the direction about making this game a bit more challenging by not making every player invincible-res-popper is not a bad one.

To everyone of you who came into this thread just to be insulting or get that post count up, No one cares what you think. No one ever has. That's why you're here. You have a vested interest in you. And while my suggested change seems like I only have a vested interest in me, the suggestion comes from the question to DE: You had a great game. Why did you become every other game?

So why should we care what you think?  Regardless, you were the person who started the insults if you read through the thread.  Don't worry.  this thread has been reported...it serves no purpose any more other than for you to troll/bicker with others.  

14 minutes ago, Karesz6 said:

Also I am not sure why all the hate from some users. It is an idea about a specific non-factor gamemode which will probably never get implemented, however the direction about making this game a bit more challenging by not making every player invincible-res-popper is not a bad one.

Because of his execution basically. I would love for the game to be harder but I don't think this is the way to do it. And the second he implied everyone who disagreed is soft is why he copped all the hate. While I do think the game is far too full of casual play, he chose the wrong way to suggest this.

25 minutes ago, Karesz6 said:

Arbitration death is the only current different mechanics where death actually have some weight

It was before they changed it for this broken revive mechanic. Back then death was permanent and it was way more enjoyable(you f- up once, you loose completely, no back doors).

25 minutes ago, Karesz6 said:

the direction about making this game a bit more challenging by not making every player invincible-res-popper is not a bad one.

That's why all the "hate"(it's not hate tbh, it's just opinions, constructive criticism)- this idea will not make the mage challenging for older players, but for new ones only.
And the older "veterans" are the ones craving for challenge.

This Change happened around 2015 to 2016 in the gaming industry, where companies intentionally making their games easy bcs of one single reason, The Casual Gamer, before gaming got really popular it was a niche that wasn't really attractive for what people like to call "normies", they spent their money on others things rather then monthly subscriptions in world of warcraft (for example), This Change resulted in the rise of Casual gaming, and Oh boy :D Most of casuals hate dying in games, they hated the crap of dark souls, all they cared about is how their character looked, and how powerful you can get with no effort at all, they shower companies with money buying cosmetics and loot boxes, So yeah :D if Dying in games is not feared anymore, that's just how business works, Companies who are after profit will favor who consume the most eventually.

Limiting daily revives per frame on the Steel Path will not make it a more interesting or challenging game mode to play, especially not for the people running it who don't get downed while playing to begin with. Steel Path is just the normal star chart but with big numbers on the enemies and a chance to scan Misery for the first time in 5 years, after all.

To be honest, I think a revive limit would actually discourage players from trying more varied or experimental builds on Steel Path instead of the meta builds that work and have far less risk. 

33 minutes ago, MouadSaqui said:

This Change happened around 2015 to 2016 in the gaming industry, where companies intentionally making their games easy bcs of one single reason, The Casual Gamer, before gaming got really popular it was a niche that wasn't really attractive for what people like to call "normies", they spent their money on others things rather then monthly subscriptions in world of warcraft (for example), This Change resulted in the rise of Casual gaming, and Oh boy :D Most of casuals hate dying in games, they hated the crap of dark souls, all they cared about is how their character looked, and how powerful you can get with no effort at all, they shower companies with money buying cosmetics and loot boxes, So yeah :D if Dying in games is not feared anymore, that's just how business works, Companies who are after profit will favor who consume the most eventually.

Just think about it, casuals can pay money for no-death-penalty while Ninjas plays free who do not need to pay because they are Ninjas and not die due to their skills anyway... 

There would be such a riot in community would be fun to see sg like that. :D

6 hours ago, ThumpumGood said:

Another person who doesnt read and is just trying to get their post count up

Which is an interesting statement to make, coming from someone who is responding to every post that disagrees (ie, almost all of them) with somewhat insulting one-sentence posts accusing people of being cowards.

If you want to make the game more difficult for yourself, you are free to do so.  Create whatever rules you like for your Steel Path runs.  Limited revives, pistols only, "if I get downed I have to delete the frame as a "True Hardcore" mode!  The devs have already said they consider Steel Path to be an optional mode (but NOT a true "Endgame" mode) and I'm almost certain they've already made adjustments to it to make it more approachable for players who just want to clear the Steel Starchart for the Mastery.  And I *know* they've changed it to stomp on multi-hour Endless Mission farms.  (I'm reasonably sure I remember them saying several times over the years that they don't consider "playing for hours straight without stopping" to be a good thing, nor is it something they want to encourage.)

Here's a counter suggestion, Steel Self Hardmode.  Every time you get downed, roll a six-sided die.  All results also require you to add a token to the Death Counter pile.

1)  No revives!  Mission is over.  If playing solo, you must immediately abort and lose all progress.

2)  Sword broke!  You can't use melee for the remainder of the mission.  You must delete your equipped melee weapon at the end of this mission.

3)  Gun backfired!  You can't use your Primary weapon for the remainder of the mission.  You must delete your equipped primary at the end of this mission.

4)  No, not Fluffy!  Your pet was "permanently" killed.  Delete your equipped pet at the end of this mission.  For a Sentinel or Moa, you must also delete their equipped weapon.

5 or 6)  Tis but a scratch.  You can revive normally.

If the Death Counter pile ever hits five or more tokens, your currently equipped frame has suffered True Death, and you must delete them at the end of this mission.

There you go!  Challenge, and death has consequences.  Or... do you mean you want a system that only punishes *other* players for dying, and forces them to play how YOU want them to?

did OP forget that arbitrations, a mode where the entire team has to work together to revive someone, exists? if you want death to mean something, go play Arbitrations.

I played back with the Old revive system, and while it was never an issue for me, it was for others: why bring back old problems when you can be fixing new ones instead?

Archived