Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is the squad link feature gonna be part of what bridges Railjack existing contents in next major update?

Terezmo

Ever since the Scarlet Spear event, the link tool that was used to connect players from railjack to the ground is just sitting in the inventory till this day. I wonder if that item is going to be implemented in the so called "Railjack re-revisited". I know its been since 2019 they showcased how squad link would behave, however, part of me thinks that might be the case, well maybe the start of it. 

Mission success/progress being dependant on player participation was a bad idea in the first place. When you sat 30 minutes on the sentient ship waiting for kill codes from ground squads it really showed.

So, that version of squad link hopefully never returns.

The version they showed also was a bad idea since it required to go into an open world and then sit at the beacon and wait.

I could see it working on a smaller and simpler scale with regular matchmaking. Basically like raids where you queue up for and then exactly two squads get connected and play a mission simultaniously while results and finishing or failing objectives impact each other. Simple examples: ground sabotages a hangar in time, space gets weaker/less fighters to deal with. Space destroys a cannon, ground doesn't get bombarded. Nothing or little should prevent either side to actually finish their mission outside of what they can influence if the other squad dies or leaves or simply isn't there.

Alternatively it could be random optional objectives popping up in mission ala assassin spawns or that granum coin guy where you randomly get asked to help a space/ground squad out in their mission by doing something in yours. You can do it or ignore it and the other side can still progress despite what you decided. Downside would be if good rewards were tied to random spawns as we all know from Stalker, Zanuka, G3 or The Wolf.

I think squad link in terms of how it was shown in tennocon way back is dead.  This game is p2p which is a nightmare for this type of thing.  Great concept, but unworkable.

Squad link in SS was really just a shared objective, there wasn't really a link between 2 individual squads.  Ground team created a resource that space team needed to complete their mission.  Quite simple really.

it could work if, as stated above, it added an optional layer onto a mission: say you're roaming around in the Plains one day and a message appears: "Orbital reinforcement station nearby, destroy the docked fighters to assist (player name's) Railjack Crew?". you can then either accept or reject the request. if you accept and complete the objective, you get an additional reward. the same would also apply for Railjack Crews: "Satellite-encrypted Data Vault found; assist (player name's) ground crew in decrypting. they can then destroy the satellite and allow a ground crew to complete a defense Vault faster; the crew would also get an additional mission reward.

as long as there are contingencies in place should things go wrong, Squad Link could work pretty well, and IMO would promote players to help each other out more often (even if it's for their own gain; gotta start somewhere lol).

12 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

No please. I don't want to see that feature ever again.

Yeah.  Honestly the whole "feature" in Scarlet Spear felt like something that got thrown into some Kickstarter game a couple days before launch so the devs could say they included all of their stretch goals without technically lying.  All it accomplished was to punish people for wanting to play the more rewarding half of the event when it wasn't breaking entirely and making it impossible for a relay to actually progress.

If it gets reused I suspect it'll only be for events. It's a complete waste to tie different squads working on different missions, especially as a requirement, due to the possibility of one mode or the other losing player interest. Nobody enjoyed being forced to switch from one mission type to the other in SS and people will enjoy it less in anything less rewarding than SS was. While using it just for events more or less guarantees enough player interest in both modes to allow the system to function.

Really the core flaw of the system is that it either hampers the mission experience and makes players do something they don't want to. Or if the effect it has is made optional where it's either pointless or the effect is still significant enough that people act like it's essential, thus returning to the first issue.

I hope they scraped squad link and don’t waste one more Dev minute on it.

I Also hope you think about what your asking for before encouraging Dev time be used on something like squad link. 

Squad link would be better across the board if it was removed from the game. If people really really start to *@##$ DE just fake it they won’t know the difference and it’ll be a better system if it’s just faked. 

Nothing says fun like failing because the other squad quit/lost/disconnected and you can’t do anything about it.

In an ideal situation I could imagine squad link as something interesting. If we lived in a world of trustworthy ppl and no internet problems.

Then I could imagine an instance where one half of the squad has to go into a separate mission to help out the other 2 teammates.

But that would be all #*!%ed once the host or someone else disconnects or if the player is unskilled or really just pick a random reason. Anything can #*!% up this system easily.

Squad link was a raid with each half of the raid playing in their own missions, with one half waiting on the other half to complete theirs.

It might be cool if it were seamless to go from orbit to landscape, but then its functionally little different from leaving the railjack to enter a capital ship or missile platform and taking it down from inside

Ultimately, the concept is either frustrating or 100% redundant.  I'd rather they just open up raids in Railjack and we had fleet-on-fleet warfare, but that might require dedicated servers.

Archived