Space has no up or down

Can we get true 6DOF movement for the Railjack? I'm sick of being "corrected", and would like to fly in space as though I'm flying in space, rather than being a boat that can change the water level. On the same note, bringing back 6DOF movement for Archwings would be nice too.

• Like 9

"Space has no up or down"

...and neither has a planets surface - what we have are gravitational vectors...

but enough nitpicking ^^) you are right that the railjack and AW should go back to 6DOF way - or better yet, let the player choose what they prefer since DE already have the code for both ways at hand.

• Like 6

I'd like to second letting the player choose what they prefer. As a person who gets easily motion sick, I like the very "flat" feel to the way the RJ flies. But all of my friends / clanmates would agree with wanting freedom of movement. 

• Like 8

I like how archwings are handled on surfaces now, but in space missions I'd like to have 6DOF movement. But it certainly should be a togglable option so that nobody suffers. I might even toggle it myself now and then to refresh my space experience)

• Like 5

I love the new arcadey controls, feels much smoother, fluid, like I'm in control, like an old school FPS that's less about realism and more about fun good immediate handling, the way Everspace 2 or those Descent games I believe did it (only played Overload, the spiritual successor by the same devs I believe).
I want crouch to be lowering me relative to my orientation, space raising me relative to my orientation, and WASD to behave like WASD.
If you want an optional control scheme, then sure!
But I want to keep mine just the way as it is thank you very much.

• Like 6

I changed my controls JUST to give my Railjack roll left/right....... and then WF auto-corrects MY PILOTING!!!???!?!?!?!   

But hey wat can we expect from people who put a range value on weapons in space lol.  

• Like 4

My apologies to those misled by my wording, I do not want the orientation autocorrect to be taken away from those who use it. Options are good. I just want to be able to fly my ship (and Archwing) whichever direction I choose... I miss Experimental Flight Mode.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Iamabearlulz said:

My apologies to those misled by my wording, I do not want the orientation autocorrect to be taken away from those who use it. Options are good. I just want to be able to fly my ship (and Archwing) whichever direction I choose... I miss Experimental Flight Mode.

I can totally understand that, you miss the Experimental Flight Controls and I hope you see them return sooner rather than later.
It's just that I felt the need to be the voice echoing appreciation for the current arcadey controls because, after all, it's not like the devs just added them as an option, they removed options in the past and I don't want them to remove them again :''D

• Like 2

Been wanting 6DoF back since it was removed. Hopefully this dedicated thread allows it to be more obvious that some people liked it. Options are always a good thing in my book.

I would definitely like the option to remove the forced artificial horizon, as well as returning 6DoF to archwings. When doing so, the control options from RJ would be nice Eg. the ability to force rolls. The only issue I could see with old archwing movement was the orientation was purely controlled by the mouse, the option to add roll key-binds would be nice.

One jarring place where RJ and AW DoF clashes happen is when you leave a RJ that has been rolled, your camera does a whole spin to put you upright relative to AW coordinate system. And yes, I don't want there to be an "upright" in space.

• Like 1

Ehhhh, technically if we're going for full pedantry, there is an arguable gravitic "north/south" pole of galactic central point. There's just no relative up or down.

As for mechanically, in game, I doubt we'll see a 6DOIF version of railjack because behind the hood, RJ is just a reskin of normal missions. The fact the game used to (and probably still does occasionally) "forget" that you're in space is proof enough of that. To implement a proper space sim would literally mean playing a different game.

We had this for archwing and let me tell you it was the worst thing if you have any kind of motion sickness, I had to stop playing archwing for years because of it and honestly never got back into it even after it was changed back. So no I don't want 6dof back I want to stay in the bottom of the hole it was chucked into.

• Like 1

I would like this as an option.

It reminds me of the way the instructor 'corrects' you in WT, good thing it has a checkbox you can turn off there.

But isn't there already an 'Experimental flight controls' option? I remember it was there among the checkboxes, but iirc. i've also seen threads about it being removed.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

As for mechanically, in game, I doubt we'll see a 6DOIF version of railjack because behind the hood, RJ is just a reskin of normal missions.

1 hour ago, Drasiel said:

We had this for archwing and let me tell you it was the worst thing if you have any kind of motion sickness, I had to stop playing archwing for years because of it and honestly never got back into it even after it was changed back. So no I don't want 6dof back I want to stay in the bottom of the hole it was chucked into.

Except Railjack is already 6DoF, it's only archwing that does not have 6DoF for some reason. We are also asking for it to be an option as to not affect players like you.

2 hours ago, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

To implement a proper space sim would literally mean playing a different game.

What are you implying is missing from WF's space controls? 6Dof within the RJ itself or something?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PhiThagRaid said:

Except Railjack is already 6DoF, it's only archwing that does not have 6DoF for some reason. We are also asking for it to be an option as to not affect players like you.

What are you implying is missing from WF's space controls? 6Dof within the RJ itself or something?

the difference is the missions, really it's just the corpus tileset used for arching that is probably the problem. Grineer asteroid and railjack missions up and down don't matter there is nothing you need to orient yourself on or too it's just you and the other targets your brain doesn't try to reorient where you are spatially because there is nothing of it to latch onto. But corpus tileset is a map you have to travel through with very distinct up and down for navigating through the corridors and to and from objectives, and direction really matters for how you interpret the map. Your brain constantly tries to assess and orient your position in the level and suddenly noticing you are upside down in regards to the level disposition causes awful lurches in perception. It was equally bad when land-based archwing could use the same system.

In pure space? maybe it won't be as much of an issue, as an option I'm okay with it, but I wouldn't want to be forced to use it because I prefer having set up and down.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Drasiel said:

the difference is the missions, really it's just the corpus tileset used for arching that is probably the problem. Grineer asteroid and railjack missions up and down don't matter there is nothing you need to orient yourself on or too it's just you and the other targets your brain doesn't try to reorient where you are spatially because there is nothing of it to latch onto. But corpus tileset is a map you have to travel through with very distinct up and down for navigating through the corridors and to and from objectives, and direction really matters for how you interpret the map. Your brain constantly tries to assess and orient your position in the level and suddenly noticing you are upside down in regards to the level disposition causes awful lurches in perception. It was equally bad when land-based archwing could use the same system.

In pure space? maybe it won't be as much of an issue, as an option I'm okay with it, but I wouldn't want to be forced to use it because I prefer having set up and down.

Except the places you dislike it on are places I like it on. 6DoF is way less interesting in the grineer archwing missions than in the corpus archwing missions. In RJ it makes a difference due to enemy flight paths being more difficult to track without 6DoF, if they fly above or below you based on the 5DoF system you have to do weird mouse movements to actually follow them.

Again, we know there are people like you who dislike the feature, thus we are not looking to replace it with the old but atleast bring back the option. 

7 hours ago, kgabor said:

But isn't there already an 'Experimental flight controls' option? I remember it was there among the checkboxes, but iirc. i've also seen threads about it being removed

Yep, used to be a thing, but got removed with one of the RJ updates. 

6DOF - cool, immersive and fun. Although it was making minimap in Archwing missions nearly useless. But it's mostly irrelevant in Railjack.

"Flat" space with clear up and down - fine, I can appreciate some arcadeyness and simplicity.

Fake 6DOF with constant forced autocorrection - incredibly annoying, confusing and frustrating.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Kefirno said:

6DOF - cool, immersive and fun. Although it was making minimap in Archwing missions nearly useless. But it's mostly irrelevant in Railjack.

That's a flaw of the map system - if you're in a full 3D environment, an orb radar (or at least a sectored radar, like in X-Wing) is much more useful than a "top-down" view

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PhiThagRaid said:

Except the places you dislike it on are places I like it on. 6DoF is way less interesting in the grineer archwing missions than in the corpus archwing missions. In RJ it makes a difference due to enemy flight paths being more difficult to track without 6DoF, if they fly above or below you based on the 5DoF system you have to do weird mouse movements to actually follow them.

Again, we know there are people like you who dislike the feature, thus we are not looking to replace it with the old but atleast bring back the option. 

Yes in the tail end of my last post I said as an option I'm okay with it. 👍

• Like 1

Some tiles 6DoF is fine on, however several (corpus) tile sets quickly become confusing if you are flipping around a lot especially in combat.  I remember it being confusing and generally hard to control when it was in archwing.  If this does get added back in they will need to rework the minimap and add controls for rotation. 

4 hours ago, Larkin5631 said:

and add controls for rotation.

Yep, Railjacks already have keybinds for rolling, just allow them on archwings.

4 hours ago, Larkin5631 said:

Some tiles 6DoF is fine on, however several (corpus) tile sets quickly become confusing if you are flipping around a lot especially in combat.

What's confusing to one is fun for another. Corpus ships felt like they made the most of 6DoF, since the environment actually felt different at different angles, rocks in space feel the same from all angles.

• Like 1
On 2021-02-05 at 12:36 AM, PhiThagRaid said:

What's confusing to one is fun for another. Corpus ships felt like they made the most of 6DoF, since the environment actually felt different at different angles, rocks in space feel the same from all angles.

Mostly confusing due to the minimap not working and objective markers bugging out.

• Like 1