Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

CPU or GPU

Ahrcii

Question

My avg fps when playing warframe is about 70-80 fps and sometimes spike to 50fps and that's only on 2 players, On the other hand I get like 30-55fps when playing with a squad and on open worlds. What should I upgrade for more fps? A CPU or a GPU?.

This is my system info from steam

CPU Vendor:  AuthenticAMD
    CPU Brand:  AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics    
    CPU Family:  0x17
    CPU Model:  0x18
    CPU Stepping:  0x1
    CPU Type:  0x0
    Speed:  3593 Mhz
    4 logical processors
    4 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Unsupported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Supported
    SSE41:  Supported
    SSE42:  Supported
    AES:  Supported
    AVX:  Supported
    AVX2:  Supported
    AVX512F:  Unsupported
    AVX512PF:  Unsupported
    AVX512ER:  Unsupported
    AVX512CD:  Unsupported
    AVX512VNNI:  Unsupported
    SHA:  Supported
    CMPXCHG16B:  Supported
    LAHF/SAHF:  Supported
    PrefetchW:  Unsupported

Operating System Version:
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    NTFS:  Supported

Video Card:
    Driver:  AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics
    DirectX Driver Name:  aticfx32.dll
    Driver Version:  27.20.14501.18003
    DirectX Driver Version:  27.20.14501.18003
    Driver Date: 11 13 2020
    OpenGL Version: 4.6
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics
    VendorID:  0x1002
    DeviceID:  0x15d8
    Revision:  0xc9
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution:  1920 x 1080
    Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Primary Display Size: 18.74" x 10.55" (21.50" diag)
                                            47.6cm x 26.8cm (54.6cm diag)
    Primary Bus Type Not Detected
    Primary VRAM: -2048 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x

Memory:
    RAM:  6092 Mb

7 answers to this question

That looks like it is indeed the IGP - also according to a quick Google search. Obvious first solution is to install an actual GPU - which may be on short supply, currently.

That CPU should be fine for most (any?) current gaming, and in my experience Warframe is not that CPU intensive. With a proper GPU you should have no problems running Warframe at 1080p (or even higher).

OP might want to confirm what is actually installed - if you really do have an actual dedicated graphics card, then something is amiss (and the system is not using it for some reason).

If you decide to buy a GPU, be sure It is better than you actual IGP.

Second, are those 6GB RAM, the actual ram from your PC?-If It is true, maybe your problem can be on the RAM and not on GPU.

Install MSI afterburner and show the actual usage of CPU, GPU and RAM while playing warframe, and your actual graphic settings.

17 hours ago, lhardy said:

If you decide to buy a GPU, be sure It is better than you actual IGP.

He'd have hard time finding a GPU which would be worse than the IGP. See:  https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-vega-8.c3042

(although the relative perfomance part here is only a rough indicator, it does give some idea where we are).

17 hours ago, lhardy said:

Second, are those 6GB RAM, the actual ram from your PC?-If It is true, maybe your problem can be on the RAM and not on GPU.

All IGP:s use the system RAM AFAIK (at least this one and most probably all on the Ryzen; it's very unlikely the CPU would have on-die RAM of 6GB just for the IGP). This is not the only reason, but one of the reasons they are so slow. Any RAM used by the IGP is not available as regular RAM (i.e. less system RAM available for software), and they use the same bandwidth as the CPU uses to access RAM (whereas a real graphic card has separate dedicated RAM to work in).

There is nothing indicating there was a problem with the RAM; it either works or doesn't. I suppose he could have worse performance than possible with the H/W, if the CPU or RAM was underclocked for some reason (such as screwing around in the computer BIOS settings), but TBH I'm suprised he gets as good performance as he does now (given the H/W).

37 minutes ago, WildPenguin82 said:

He'd have hard time finding a GPU which would be worse than the IGP. See:  https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-vega-8.c3042

(although the relative perfomance part here is only a rough indicator, it does give some idea where we are).

All IGP:s use the system RAM AFAIK (at least this one and most probably all on the Ryzen; it's very unlikely the CPU would have on-die RAM of 6GB just for the IGP). This is not the only reason, but one of the reasons they are so slow. Any RAM used by the IGP is not available as regular RAM (i.e. less system RAM available for software), and they use the same bandwidth as the CPU uses to access RAM (whereas a real graphic card has separate dedicated RAM to work in).

There is nothing indicating there was a problem with the RAM; it either works or doesn't. I suppose he could have worse performance than possible with the H/W, if the CPU or RAM was underclocked for some reason (such as screwing around in the computer BIOS settings), but TBH I'm suprised he gets as good performance as he does now (given the H/W).

If systems and IGPu uses the same RAM, if IGPU is capable to use around 2 GB or more from RAM, there is a possibily of bottleneck there.

I have a computer W7 with 8 GB RAM with separate GPU of 1Gb memory, and I have problems with my memory RAM, I have to say is 1666 Hz, the lowerst frecuenzy on DDR4.

If that computer has 6 GB of DDR4 RAM, It could be the problem when hard disc decided to load textures on RAM; that is why I said to install MSI afterburner to see RAM usage.

A good tip to check that problem could be to set max FPS on 60 and see if there are those FPS drops constantely.

He said he has problem on open worlds. Open world should need more RAM to load all the map (without the caves) to avoid loading problems.

Archived