Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we please get a popup blocker for our warframes?

DoomFruit

Nightwave's back... which means that our in-game spam quotient is now 300% larger. I'm pretty fed up with Nora charging in on my screen going "there ain't nothing so bold as a man with nothing to lose" or some other crap simply because I'm bullet jumping across the world as normal. Neither do I have any desire to see whatever today's sortie monster is blocking a third of the map if I happen to click on the right-most tab in navigation. Not to mention the godawful ropeadopealyst fight taking half the screen with things like "my mother was a Roomba and my father smelt of elderberries".

And then there's the unending spam of "rare" resources like copernics and pustrels in every single Railjack mission, or whatever it is that drops out of the trees on Deimos.

Mozilla solved this at the turn of the millennium. Microsoft fixed it in 2004. Why do we still have this problem several thousand years into the future?

The UI is currently filled with too much garbage, with no use whatsoever.

Just like the option to disable the UI, and I do hope they add an transparency option for the stupid crosshair so I can put it to 0% and an option to dissable every and all waypoints/markers, there should've been an option to either use the current excessive notifications (and VO blockers) or the passive item pickup notification we had before Plains of Eidolon or, as I like to point out a perfect Major Update in time, back like it was in U7.

the old blue UI before the "modern redesign" they went with was easily the most functional UI even if it wasn't the prettiest. I pitched my idea already about offering UI design as a tennogen thing. I'd happily pay a couple bucks for normal person's redesign effort that puts useful information on the screen at one time, without having to click so many buttons to show so little information at a time.

UI scaling is awful too. Not 2k friendly...forget about 4k. You shrink S#&$ on the screen to be 'compact' enough to your liking, you end up with TONS of wasted space.

Warframe/Archwing/Archgun/k-drive/voidrig arsenal is an obvious mess. And UI devs are obsessed with things having to expand open when clicked on, rather than just keeping it open and visible somewhere that's out of the way.

All summarized by describing it as 'sins of modern UX'. Big flashy buttons. Warframe is the Windows 8 Metro of game UI.

7 hours ago, -Krux- said:

All summarized by describing it as 'sins of modern UX'. Big flashy buttons. Warframe is the Windows 8 Metro of game UI.

This. This 1000x. There's simultaneously too much bloat on screen and nothing that matters is in a reasonable place. Why is energy, perhaps the most important thing about your frame, a tiny white line in the bottom corner?

1 hour ago, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

This. This 1000x. There's simultaneously too much bloat on screen and nothing that matters is in a reasonable place. Why is energy, perhaps the most important thing about your frame, a tiny white line in the bottom corner?

Pfft, i'll do you one better - why is it so far away from your actual abilities? The old "blue UI" i mentioned had all that together in one corner. Energy had a numerical representation.

There was a call (from the community?) to make more of the resources visible on pickup. I don't like it.

As for why Lotus' face needs to block so much of the screen during the Ropalolololyst assassination, I don't know. I don't like that either. But I think it is a different DE staff member's call about that.

Regarding the Windows 8 "Metro" UI, I have to say I enjoy most of it. The part I dislike are the popup detail windows that block important info in certain menus where you need to have an unobstructed view of all the items.

In the big picture though, Warframe has the best joystick-to-mouse-to-dpad-to-arrow buttons interface and user experience I have ever seen on pc or ps4. It's intuitive and I love it. Everything else feels clunky by comparison.

13 hours ago, LillyRaccune said:

Regarding the Windows 8 "Metro" UI, I have to say I enjoy most of it

It's an obscure style that has its fans but i have to disagree. Nothing about toggling Kuva Lich/Nightwave to "extractor mode" which then enables a button that you have to hover over to get another button to pop out of that to then click on and require you to collect your resources first before then being required to select an extractor to then click on a planet to see what resources are available on that planet makes any sense whatsoever.

At the same time, if you mouse over a planet in normal navigation mode, what do you get? A couple of white rings. Great.

I'll pump out examples all day. There's no shortage.

7 hours ago, -Krux- said:

Nothing about toggling Kuva Lich/Nightwave to "extractor mode" which then enables a button that you have to hover over to get another button to pop out of that to then click on and require you to collect your resources first before then being required to select an extractor to then click on a planet to see what resources are available on that planet makes any sense whatsoever.

Yeah. You're right. To be fair as far as I know, the extractor/resources info panel is from the legacy UI and it should have been properly reworked. But your point is valid. I'll "recant before the Jade Light" right now: I like some of the Metro UI style. :crylaugh:

I agree that the way DE "integrated" extractor/resources button with the lich/nightwave buttons is pretty foolish. Like oil and water, not integrated at all.

On 2021-02-03 at 12:32 AM, -Krux- said:

Pfft, i'll do you one better - why is it so far away from your actual abilities? The old "blue UI" i mentioned had all that together in one corner. Energy had a numerical representation.

Seriously. I remember when they went to the minimalist UI I was annoyed because on a (then) 17" laptop screen, I had to crank the UI scale. On Switch, I literally have it maxed.

And another thing: On Switch, the onscreen keyboard literally causes an interrupt of visuals and audio on the system level (image freezes and is blurred heavily, audio is drastically cut), so if you're too fast with the keyboard, NW popups literally stay onscreen and will not update for the duration of the mission. They're huge and unnecessarily detailed, so basically the lower middle ninth of your screen may as well not exist. Couple this with lag making the game keep the Buddy Door (TM) popup onscreen if you spam the Use key (because buddy doors are freaking stupid and require a literal simultaneous press on a P2P network) and waypoints literally not working correctly right now for no real good reason, and your screen becomes a MESS.

Archived