Jump to content

Here are the results of the Warframe Content Review 2020 survey


Recommended Posts

Results. About 15 pages long. Skip to the results section for all the graphs and tables.

Hi all. It has been a bit more than 2 weeks as first promised, but here it is. 

I was able to get 1875 responses. Not a massive number, but definitely larger than I expected. Thank you all for sharing, taking part and being fairly decent individuals about it.

Edit: for some reason this topic was moved to General Discussion.

Edited by Teoarrk
  • Like 27
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicely done and summarized - covers what it should cover without being boring,

And though a relatively short universe of respondents i think it gives a good reference.

I personally always felt that DE does not allow players polling in the forums cause these stats would make solid what is already well known (and DE knows it) forcing them to focus on it instead of blowing visual smoke. I feel this statement can be construed as mean spirited , i do not mind if it is.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this went better than expected, and the results are interesting. Not sure I totally agree with your conclusions, since it is not possible to "normalize" the in-data and to cross-analyze the questions, which makes drawing conclusions a bit risky. But even just looking at the bar charts several interesting things pops out.

If I was working at DE I would be really interested, and DE also has login/playtime/sessiontime data that could be crossreferenced to this...

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Graavarg said:

Not sure I totally agree with your conclusions, since it is not possible to "normalize" the in-data and to cross-analyze the questions, which makes drawing conclusions a bit risky.

I may have used too strong a word for some of these links. I found myself in a sticky situation with the graphs, as I had planned to create cross link graphs of engagement against liked/disliked events and focuses, but Google Sheets gave me a firm no. I figure that the raw graphs are what most people are after so I settled on a short summary.

Edited by Teoarrk
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this is before Devstream 151, we can’t take anything related to Railjack as objective. People’s reaction to Railjack content is generally positive since the stream.

Edited by DrivaMain
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Nicely done and summarized - covers what it should cover without being boring,

And though a relatively short universe of respondents i think it gives a good reference.

I personally always felt that DE does not allow players polling in the forums cause these stats would make solid what is already well known (and DE knows it) forcing them to focus on it instead of blowing visual smoke. I feel this statement can be construed as mean spirited , i do not mind if it is.

 

My first thought was:  “Are the people responding an accurate representation of the community as a whole?  If, not, what are the differences?”

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, (PSN)Silverback73 said:

My first thought was:  “Are the people responding an accurate representation of the community as a whole?  If, not, what are the differences?”

Personally, I'd say "no".

If I go by the 80/20 rule alone:

20% of people actually visit social media sites for their game. 20% of THAT are actually active. The forums, reddit, youtube etc make up 4% of the playerbase. Opinions here represent 4% of the people that actively play warframe.

And I believe DE understands. Nothing short of a mass outcry that results in bad marketing gets them to move their hand.

Frankly, I'd wish there was a mass outcry against rivens.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, 60framespersecond said:

Why is this in the community section? If this isn't general feedback, what else is?

Nice work, thanks for putting this together!

Because a poll made by a player isn't the kind of feedback that's useful to the devs. They have no way to verify the accuracy of the info. It's better for discussion amongst the community than it is a useful tool for the devs

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite amazing work. Some graphs in 'results' section have some visual bugs where some column names aren't written right by the column they represent, so it's kind of confusing. 

 

It's a shame no dev will ever bother to check it out or even use it as some form of feedback :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Since this is before Devstream 151, we can’t take anything related to Railjack as objective. People’s reaction to Railjack content is generally positive since the stream.

Unfortunate timing in this aspect. It is more telling of what people thought of it at that time. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is not useful, only that by comparing these results against another set of data now would at least show how many people were satiated by the fact that Railjack is getting another rework and more importantly I do believe, content expansion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, deothor said:

It's a shame no dev will ever bother to check it out or even use it as some form of feedback :(

Though, what help would it in theory do?

Its not like DE needs to read this because they already have it. If they don't then you can be damn well be sure they ARE reading it.

But they will do nothing regarding it. Why? Because the sample size is mind-numbingly low compared to the people who are actively playing warframe. 

This data provides a good estimate, but not one that DE didn't know before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aadi880 said:

But they will do nothing regarding it. Why? Because the sample size is mind-numbingly low compared to the people who are actively playing warframe. 

This data provides a good estimate, but not one that DE didn't know before.

It's a slice and a slice is all I can really achieve as one person not within the company. 

I discussed this in my discussion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Because a poll made by a player isn't the kind of feedback that's useful to the devs. They have no way to verify the accuracy of the info. It's better for discussion amongst the community than it is a useful tool for the devs

Not like that BS twitter feedback they get from time to time is any better.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aadi880 said:

But they will do nothing regarding it. Why? Because the sample size is mind-numbingly low compared to the people who are actively playing warframe.

That's a funny thing about statistics: obviously, you can't ever poll a group of people in its entirety BUT you don't need to. Even a seemingly small fraction of the whole can give you reasonably accurate insights, even when you're using random sampling (which is really the only option here since, well, we don't really have the information needed to do quoata sampling). In practice: the sample size in this survey would be good enough to produce data with a 99% confidence level (academics normally use 95%) with the margin of error being 3% for a group consisting of a MILLION people - and, while I don't have the player stats obviously, I still think that'd be an extremely generous overestimation of Warframe's active playerbase.

No, the amount of people answering is most assuredly not a problem. The only issue to consider is mentioned in the doc as well: it's whether the data is not biased due to where the respondents have been found at, i.e. mainly Reddit, Facebook groups, the forums and Discord communities - if people who do not take part in Warframe online socially would not hold singificantly different opinions. Realistically though, we have no way to properly find out.

tl;dr this is as good as it gets

 

Good job OP in trying to make sense of the data, it's a stimulating read, even for people who would view the results differently.

Edited by Dayren
punctuation
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dayren said:

That's a funny thing about statistics: obviously, you can't ever poll a group of people in its entirety BUT you don't need to. Even a seemingly small fraction of the whole can give you reasonably accurate insights, even when you're using random sampling (which is really the only option here since, well, we don't really have the information needed to do quota sampling). In practice: the sample size in this survey would be good enough to produce data with a 99% confidence level (academics normally use 95%) with the margin of error being 3% for a group consisting of a MILLION people - and, while I don't have the player stats obviously, I still think that'd be an extremely generous overestimation of Warframe's active playerbase.

Cheers man for explaining this. DE often boast the registered account number, but beyond Steam's usage charts it is very hard to get a number of exactly how many players play the game every month. Even if that is consulted, it only considers unique active users at any given moment, but not the total unique users over a month and so my survey might be a very small amount of users, or a percentage in single digits.

5 hours ago, Dayren said:

Good job OP in trying to make sense of the data, it's a stimulating read, even for people who would view the results differently.

Thanks man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dayren said:

 

tl;dr this is as good as it gets

 

Yeah, I think DE has a better idea of what people enjoy with their internal stats. While many will come to the forum and say how much they hate liches, if DEs numbers show that same player returned again and again to the content to completion, then maybe that person isn't being genuine.  I feel like many complain as a way to vent about not getting what they want as soon as they want it. 

Just like Rivens. If you take a forum survey, you'll think Rivens were a huge mistake, but DEs internal numbers have shown it's been a HUGE success. They even stated so one time, to the point where they believe Rivens helped save the game. 

I think social media polling is far too flawed to be taken at face value. 

Edited by Hypernaut1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Teoarrk said:

Results. About 15 pages long. Skip to the results section for all the graphs and tables.

Hi all. It has been a bit more than 2 weeks as first promised, but here it is. 

I was able to get 1875 responses. Not a massive number, but definitely larger than I expected. Thank you all for sharing, taking part and being fairly decent individuals about it.

Edit: for some reason this topic was moved to General Discussion.

The graphs are super distorted to the point where I can’t read them on mobile. Just thought you should know :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, (PSN)Silverback73 said:

My first thought was:  “Are the people responding an accurate representation of the community as a whole?  If, not, what are the differences?”

No , it is specifically people that are willing to invest time in a survey , that they read on a forum.

If DE had small regular feedback sections advertised in game , with a minimal reward , like 20p or 50p to complete it (non tradeable) we would get a larger audience for feedback.

I know other games do it , DE is just too scared of the outcome I think.

14 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Yeah, I think DE has a better idea of what people enjoy with their internal stats. While many will come to the forum and say how much they hate liches, if DEs numbers show that same player returned again and again to the content to completion, then maybe that person isn't being genuine.  I feel like many complain as a way to vent about not getting what they want as soon as they want it. 

Just like Rivens. If you take a forum survey, you'll think Rivens were a huge mistake, but DEs internal numbers have shown it's been a HUGE success. They even stated so one time, to the point where they believe Rivens helped save the game. 

I think social media polling is far too flawed to be taken at face value. 

There are two aspects to this , Their internal stats show usage it does not show how much it is liked.

IRL I have to commute for 2 hours , majority of which time is stuck in traffic, i use almost the same route everyday. So as per stats i like traveling by that route, however the reality is i hate it , i just don't have much choice if i want to get to the objective on time.

Same with the game.

Social media polling is indeed flawed, but DE hasnt allowed any in game polling (which they really should if they are genuine about getting feedback). maybe for a minimal plat payout the players would actually provide some inputs.

Edited by 0_The_F00l
Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest concern about all this is... is DE listening? 

I want to see admin take your research and do something genuine with it. It'd be a shame if they just ignore this or just stay silent about it.

Until they actually say something, we can only guess if they are reading and digesting this information. 

Then again, it's not like Steve will jump on the forum and type, "In response to your survey and analysis, I hereby order more content to be done for 'insert game mode here' and thank you for volunteering your contribution." I mean, he might say something to that effect or similar, but I doubt it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...