Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It is just weird

Ericronias7

There's another side of it that folks aren't considering. 

Without caps, people are prone to overdoing things. I created and maintained a Never Winter Nights server way back that got very popular. I noticed some extreme behaviour from some players that legit made me concerned for their health, so I imposed limits on certain things that made it less rewarding to go hard. It helped. Players still had fun, but also had incentive to sleep and eat and live life. 

Players forget that developers are people and that they generally care about players. You don't last long in the industry otherwise. 

Nothing weird about that.

If the cap didn't exist what would follow:

A lot of arcanes would flood the market.

Spam buying relics would negatively impact the relic system.

Low mr players would end up with a lot more equipment than capacity, leading to complaints like "p2w cuz I dont have slots"

Same players would complain about too much grind, too many syndicates...etc.

Burnout.

Exilus adapters may as well not exist.

Tldr: the rep system does not exis in a vacuum.

9 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

That's the point. Investors like to see daily logins, not weekend warriors, so requiring players to log in the next day if they want to keep progressing makes things loook good to the investors. It also helps maximize development time: if it takes a month to make a piece of content, then you better make it take a month to complete said content. Even recent quests have been doing this: the initial quest is one-and-done and only takes a day at most, but it also introduces new content that will take a while to farm all of the new rewards from.

The issue that I take with this is that all of that is geared toward investor and dev benefit, and not benefit of the player.  And players these days have been brainwashed into defending it for the devs and investors.  Players should be arguing for US.  There's plenty of ways to incentivize daily login and playtime instead of time gating everything.  It's just as toxic as FOMO and they have you guys arguing it for them.  

I bought the game Carrion recently.  I beat it in a day.  I replayed the entire thing again like two days later.  The gameplay itself was enjoyable enough that I wanted to go back in and start fresh despite how short it is.  I bought it on Xbox without thinking to see if it had Steam Workshop support and it does, so I'll probably be buying it there as well so I can play through player created content.  Incentivizing through fun and player enjoyment works a lot better at retaining customers than FOMO, time gates and basing all of your content around projected grind time and RNG.  I like the core mechanics so I'm still here, but I'm out of stuff to farm.  Like literally I have nothing left to farm but a tiny handful of the useless arcanes, conclave mods I'll never get because the mode is dead, and one Conservation emblem.  I have farmed everything else in the game.  I frequently log out shortly after logging in because there is nothing left for me to do but screw around because most of the new content they've put out has been based around "How long should it take to farm this stuff?  Build the mission mechanics around grind time." instead of "What would be the most enjoyable experience we could give the player with the core game mechanics that we have?"  If they were building for enjoyment, I probably wouldn't have even played Carrion yet.  This is what you get when the players argue for the investors though.

2 hours ago, Ver1dian said:

Nothing weird about that.

If the cap didn't exist what would follow:

A lot of arcanes would flood the market.

Spam buying relics would negatively impact the relic system.

Low mr players would end up with a lot more equipment than capacity, leading to complaints like "p2w cuz I dont have slots"

Same players would complain about too much grind, too many syndicates...etc.

Burnout.

Exilus adapters may as well not exist.

Tldr: the rep system does not exis in a vacuum.

The daily caps and rep system do not exist because of those things, those things are balanced the way they are because of the existence of the rep system and could be changed if the trash system of time gating the player is ever removed.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

The daily caps and rep system do not exist because of those things, those things are balanced the way they are because of the existence of the rep system and could be changed if the trash system of time gating the player is ever removed.

Tecnically you are correct.

Also, tecnically, the balance would be simple, daily cap removed and either:

any non-cosmetic items removed from rewards and added somewhere else.

or

reputation earnings reduced to 1/5-10th of current gain, because passive gain has to be controlled in any game.

Bottom line - more complaining.

Who else remembers when we first got the Sindicates and had people farming non stop on Viver because we didnt have a cap?

Trinity giving energy, Mag spamming Polarize, Excalibur spamming Radial Javelin, maybe a Rhino or Saryn spamming Stomp/Miasma? Non stop spam os 2s, 3s, 4s, the ocasional 3-5 energy pads because Trinity wasnt able to see any enemy and energy was low.

"If the players could, they would optimize the fun out of the game." ~ Someone

Here, some comics from that era:

Spoiler

d85xdcy-8b98e365-fef3-41d4-ad97-fc50e53f

251_by_yuikami_da_d869fcu-fullview.jpg?t

d86eq02-3dc1d8b5-9cfc-4c19-a621-bbe91044

253_by_yuikami_da_d86fd33-fullview.jpg?t

37 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Who else remembers when we first got the Sindicates and had people farming non stop on Viver because we didnt have a cap?

Trinity giving energy, Mag spamming Polarize, Excalibur spamming Radial Javelin, maybe a Rhino or Saryn spamming Stomp/Miasma? Non stop spam os 2s, 3s, 4s, the ocasional 3-5 energy pads because Trinity wasnt able to see any enemy and energy was low.

"If the players could, they would optimize the fun out of the game." ~ Someone

Here, some comics from that era:

Reveal hidden contents

d85xdcy-8b98e365-fef3-41d4-ad97-fc50e53f

251_by_yuikami_da_d869fcu-fullview.jpg?t

d86eq02-3dc1d8b5-9cfc-4c19-a621-bbe91044

253_by_yuikami_da_d86fd33-fullview.jpg?t

Good times.

It is just how online multiplayer games have worked for ages, it has little to do with investors wanting to see daily logins etc. since this have been part of online games even when you pay monthly subs and so on. It is just a way to drag out the content of a game and narrowing the gap between "hardcore" and "casual" players. Because this results in both sides being finished with something roughly at the same time, meaning less yelling from one side about "more content!" or "why do you cater to nolifers!?" and so on.

20 hours ago, Ver1dian said:

any non-cosmetic items removed from rewards and added somewhere else.

or

reputation earnings reduced to 1/5-10th of current gain, because passive gain has to be controlled in any game.

Or there's 607 items that grant mastery in the game, most of the non-cosmetic syndicate items have been power crept, and not everything has to be an atrocious grind all the time.

On 2021-02-07 at 9:53 PM, Berzerkules said:

I'm running around with an ungilded 111 amp and there is nothing I can do about it. 

This made me laugh, I’m literally in this same boat because I ignored the Quills for so long. I also can’t gild an amp until I reach a certain rank with the Quills, which takes a very long time unless you fight Eidolons, which are very hard to fight with an ungilded amp! I find the entire “upgrade your amp and operator” progression path to be a very frustrating experience and it’s just not very fun to me. 

On 2021-02-08 at 12:54 AM, (PSN)bitraiser said:

There's another side of it that folks aren't considering. 

Without caps, people are prone to overdoing things. I created and maintained a Never Winter Nights server way back that got very popular. I noticed some extreme behaviour from some players that legit made me concerned for their health, so I imposed limits on certain things that made it less rewarding to go hard. It helped. Players still had fun, but also had incentive to sleep and eat and live life. 

Players forget that developers are people and that they generally care about players. You don't last long in the industry otherwise. 

^^^^ This right here.

Time gating my progression has never bothered me in this game because I usually can’t play more than an hour a two a day anyways, but I can understand how it might be frustrating to others.

If you hit all your daily caps and have nothing else to do in the game for the day, maybe try going outside or reading a book or something.

it's really not weird, it's obvious: caps are there so you don't complete everything within 24 hours. whether we like it or not, the updates have to be drawn out or otherwise they won't last, and then there'd be even more people whining about how there's nothing to do. that said I'd be fine if for just one update they didn't have caps, then we can see just how quickly players burn themselves out and ultimately prove the point that caps are needed. 

Archived