Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Octavia Prime maybe worse than non-prime?

(NSW)M0rgarath

So looking at the stats shown for Octavia Prime in the devstream I really wonder whether Octavia Prime is really better than non-prime. 

You get a bit more energy with the prime version, but you also get more shields. In the current shieldgating meta more shields is in general seen as a negative. Heck some even use the decaying dragon key in missions to have less shields and more survivability in high level content because of it. 

So seems to me Octavia Prime isn't a real improvement over regular Octavia, unlike some other prime warframes. Seems more like an alternative for a different playstyle instead of a straight upgrade to me. Or more geared towards lower level content.. 

What do you all think?

(Same can be said about tenora prime though if you have a riven, given how dispositions work nowadays...) 

Unless DE starts releasing enemies that see through stealth, I'm not sure that it matters.

Either way, the whole key and spam shield-gate thing is mainly for endurance runs, something DE already stated they don't care to balance around. For most people [the ones with the money], the shield values aren't going to matter. If it's such an issue, they could always nerf/delete said interactions, which would likely be their response.

I kinda feel like Octavia's playstyle means that health pool vs gating efficiency is a bit irrelevant. Her survivability comes from either charming enemies with her 1/2, or perma-invisibility from her 3. You might take some accidental hits if enemies blind-fire at your location, but as long as you stay invisible there should be plenty of time between shots.

If you're dealing with content where enemies oneshot your health/shield very frequently then it might be different, but DE doesn't balance around endurance content and that's probably a good thing.

33 minutes ago, Uan91 said:

What? You put on decaying dragon key for shield gating? 

Lol

Yes. This is actually a common thing, especially in Orphix Venom to reduce the shields of your Voidrig. Less shields means that you regenerate your maximum shields faster and thus, getting more invulnerability when your shields go back down. Couple that with Auger Mods, Arcane Aegis, or Brief Respite, and it's rather hard to take HP damage. That's kind of the whole joke of Inaros being less tanky than any Warframe with shields.

More shields is more shields. Shield gating, while might be a new form of tryharding and min-maxing isn't really something 99% of the player base considers when making their builds. So its fine.

Mind you, if we'll establish a pattern of considering more shields to be a downgrade because mah shieldgating - DE might get suspicious and try to Destroy shield-gating meta.... Probably by nerfing shield-gating into the ground.

Don't make a ruckus when there doesn't need to be one.

7 minutes ago, Artekkor said:

More shields is more shields. Shield gating, while might be a new form of tryharding and min-maxing isn't really something 99% of the player base considers when making their builds. So its fine.

Mind you, if we'll establish a pattern of considering more shields to be a downgrade because mah shieldgating - DE might get suspicious and try to Destroy shield-gating meta.... Probably by nerfing shield-gating into the ground.

Couldn't agree more. I can hear the nerf hammer swinging.

53 minutes ago, Artekkor said:

^^^
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u4.j

1 час назад, (PSN)GER_SIGNUM сказал:

The true Problem is that her Tenora Prime is weaker than the non Prime! If you have a riven.. DE dont understand to give the Primes more value.. I think the reason is in Canada you are allowed to drink alcohol at Work. So there are always drunk at work. XD

No, the reason is because we don't want another Rubico Prime situation where rivens made it godlike and went for 500 plat a piece... Only for the entire community to cry out in pain when dispositon was - predictably AND justifiably - reduced. Its a perfectly logical approach on their part.

1 hour ago, (PSN)GER_SIGNUM said:

The true Problem is that her Tenora Prime is weaker than the non Prime! If you have a riven.. DE dont understand to give the Primes more value.. I think the reason is in Canada you are allowed to drink alcohol at Work. So there are always drunk at work. XD

Primary Primes have been complete dogS#&$ for a long time anyway.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Hmm, let's remove shield gating from the game then :3

5 hours ago, Xaero said:

Or change the conditions of invulnerability on shields down.

or maybe the invulnerability time scaling with shield size....

39 minutes ago, Kadesfy said:

or maybe the invulnerability time scaling with shield size....

I may be wrong, but IIRC it already works like that. The scaling just isn't worth it, considering you have to restore shields to max capacity every time.

51 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

The slight increase in shields wont make a difference if you run the key since you likely end up needing the same amount of ticks to completely fill it. If you dont run the key more shields are simply better.

If you run key, Brief Respite, enough Augur mods and have your efficiency right you might be able to free up one mod slot on the non prime.  It depends on what max shields are on non prime compared to prime. I'm too lazy to go find a screen shot of Octavia Prime's stats to figure it out though. 

It doesn't really matter though since such a small minority of the player base cares about min/maxing to that level. The ones that do will either do the math or just test it. 

36 minutes ago, Xaero said:

I may be wrong, but I heard it already works like that, but the scaling isn't worth it, considering you have to restore shields to max capacity every time.

That's why people run the key. They can restore to max shields in one cast for the 1.3 second invulnerability and not .33 seconds from partial shield regen.

4 hours ago, ReddyDisco said:

^^^
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u4.j

This isn’t a secret. Back when it was introduced, we were all talking about having less shields was the way to go.

What DE needs to do is change recharge to be pure percentage per second. There can be no constants or fixed values anywhere in the shield regen formula like there is now.

Archived