Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excavations: more level=more cryotic?

JimmuTanno88

3 hours ago, gbjbaanb said:

So there's no reason why these different locations could return 100, 200 and 300 cryotic (or even 100, 150 and 200 if you want to be stingy about it).

Sure there is a reason all missions award the same flat 100 cryotic... DE wants to sell you a booster.  The game's balance is adjusted such that any farm, be it a resource or affinity or credits, is somewhat painful without a booster but much more reasonable with one.  That balance makes you want the boosters.

Let's assume for a moment that we could get 300 cryotic from one excavator.  That would be 600 with a booster and you'd have enough for the sibear in 50 excavators.  2 minutes per and that's about 100 minutes to farm up one of the worst resource intensive weapons in the game.  Do you really think DE wants you to farm the sibear in under 2 hours?

And that's not even accounting for a 2x resource event or a smeeta randomly multiplying the gains stacking on top of a paid booster.

I'm saying this as a player sitting on nearly 300k cryotic in my inventory, mostly earned the hard way of 100 at a time just to give you some perspective.  Back in the day excavation was the go to mission for endo and void keys/relics.  You ran the mission type non-stop not caring one bit about the cryotic you were getting as you were completely focused on the mission rewards.  The fact is the game has evolve and now excavation isn't that go to mission any more.  I'd much rather run arbitrations for endo and disruption for relics and I haven't played an excavation outside of the sortie or an alert for a long time. 

The cost of the sibear reflects the state of the game when it was added back in 2016.  I think we can all agree that DE is not good at updating the entire game holistically as it evolves.  The point of all this history is that I think you have a poor case for thinking cryotic gains should be increased, but you do have a reasonable position in thinking that the sibear cost should be adjusted down to better fit the current game.  There are a small number of other high cost items like the knux that I would also put into this category of needing a reduction, but over all things needing cryotic are fairly reasonable (with booster, as I said DE balances around having a booster).

• 3 weeks later...

Cryotic does come way too slowly at higher levels, IMHO.

37 minutes ago, Proscriptor said:

it makes no sense that the excavator can suddenly mine more cryotic. why can't it mine 300 cryotic the first time?

You loosen the strata which allows the cryotic substrate to permeate more material into the extractor. 

Children shoot lighting bolts at an army of techno-organic, Von Neumann machines gone mad on the Moon which was hidden in a subspace pocket up until, like, 3 years ago and this suspends your disbelief? 

5 hours ago, Proscriptor said:

it makes no sense that the excavator can suddenly mine more cryotic. why can't it mine 300 cryotic the first time?

I was a core driller for years and the excavation thing always bothered me. When we were drilling we were not actually getting the desired minerals in any large quantity. We were taking samples so geologists could figure out where they were located, in what quantity and the purity. If the geologists already knew there was high quality deposits on the desired mineral we would drill multiple holes "chasing the vein" so they could determine how large of a deposit they had. With this information they could decide if it was economically viable to open a mine at that location or, if we were already at a mine they would no which way to continue mining. 

Back on topic: Excavation is a trash mission type. There is no other resource that is only obtainable through one mission type on the star chart. DE should remove cryotic/excavation from the game IMO. If they really want to keep it in game it should just be acquired by random drop like any other resource. 

You ever try to join a pub excavation mission? Have fun running it solo because no one is playing that mission type. When running solo you pull spawns all over the map and half the time spent is waiting for enemies to spawn with a excavator at 0% power. Complete trash waste of time. 

Archived