Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Extremely noticeable frame drops

Lodicrous

Question

Hey yall, as the title says, Ive been experiencing a lot of frame drops as of late with the recent update to the game, 29.7.0. I used to have a stable 120 fps with barely any drop in frames when loading into missions or coming back to my orbiter, but now I drop to around 12 fps for about 30 seconds after I load into a mission. After those 30 seconds it generally clears up but by god is it annoying. My computer itself has fantastic specs, so i know for a fact that those arent the problem, and I checked my graphics card drivers and theyre all to date, so i think its something wrong with the game itself. Anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to try to fix this? As a note about when i updated my game, I did have the launcher optimize the cache thing.

Thanks,

Lodicrous

EDIT: Aight so I checked the launcher settings and made sure that it was set to Dx11 along with classic setting (not the Enhanced beta one). Once I loaded into the game, I still got severe frame drops, so that didn't solve my problem. For now, I guess I'll just set all my graphics stuff to low and hope for the best until they fix the issue. Also, I checked and made sure my game is on my SSD and not my local disk, so to the person who was asking about that, that appears to be in order.

25 answers to this question

21 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

I see... You might want to share your specs (CPU, GPU, OS), otherwise we'll just keep shooting at random.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six Core Processor

OS - Windows 10 x64 based PC

GPU - Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super

16 gigs of memory

I haven't changed anything since the past update, so I don't know what's causing the issue

10 minutes ago, Lodicrous said:

Wasn't able to follow these directions completely, but I was able to figure out how to essentially do the same thing through this website https://billwaltersonline.com/qa/is-it-safe-to-delete-directx-shader-cache.html#:~:text=DirectX%20Shader%20Cache%20contains%20the,large%2C%20you%20can%20delete%20it.

I'll keep yall updated on if it solves my issues or if it remains a problem.

Update: doing all of this did nothing to help me personally. Hopefully it helps someone else. 

On 2021-02-19 at 1:59 AM, Soy77 said:

Ok, something finally works. At least for me.

I go to disk cleanup, then find directX shader cache inside my windows drive (usually C:), and just clear that one.

Then i manually delete everything in my nvidia cache folder. If you have a hard time finding it, press windows button + r. Type %programdata% on run prompt. You should find nvidia corporation -> nv_cache.

=======

Performance seems to go back to the way they are before the updates. I tested doing consecutive profit taker farm and framerates are a-ok, laptop didn't aggressively heat up like they did.

I'm surprised it took me this long and had to dig pretty deep to find this solution. Putting this here so more people could see it, and hopefully could also work for them.

Wasn't able to follow these directions completely, but I was able to figure out how to essentially do the same thing through this website https://billwaltersonline.com/qa/is-it-safe-to-delete-directx-shader-cache.html#:~:text=DirectX%20Shader%20Cache%20contains%20the,large%2C%20you%20can%20delete%20it.

I'll keep yall updated on if it solves my issues or if it remains a problem.

I have similar issue.... It went away in the last update (before 29.9.0) but unfortunately its back after the Octavia Prime update (yesterday's update)

Now not only FPS dropped, i am even getting screen freeze for couple of secs whenever i jump into a new game, or going into a menu.... Screen would freeze, then slowly back to normal with frame rate gradually back to looking normal...

The game is now slightly frustrating because everytime i jump into a game, either at the start of mid way i am either significantly damage or dead because of the delay....

Annoying to say the least.....

I am running threadripper 2990WX, 2080 Super with 64GB of Ram......

On 2021-02-11 at 8:56 AM, Lodicrous said:

So there's nothing I can really do about all this? Just wait for some bug fixes that will hopefully make everything work once more?

Ok, something finally works. At least for me.

I go to disk cleanup, then find directX shader cache inside my windows drive (usually C:), and just clear that one.

Then i manually delete everything in my nvidia cache folder. If you have a hard time finding it, press windows button + r. Type %programdata% on run prompt. You should find nvidia corporation -> nv_cache.

=======

Performance seems to go back to the way they are before the updates. I tested doing consecutive profit taker farm and framerates are a-ok, laptop didn't aggressively heat up like they did.

I'm surprised it took me this long and had to dig pretty deep to find this solution. Putting this here so more people could see it, and hopefully could also work for them.

On 2021-02-11 at 6:58 AM, Uhkretor said:

Most likely, if you're already running Warframe with DX11 setting, your OS is to blame.

... Before people start dissing out about it, I'm going to name why its at fault - Windows Trusted Installer Module, excluding all the obvious OS software limitations that Microsoft doesn't want people finding out about. This particular module is known to be the biggest, heaviest, resource hogger of Win10 because despite being used to install OS modules (obviously), it also does everything else it isn't intended to do, like collecting and delivering telemetry, using your disk as a terminal for Windows Updates to be spread to other computers in your vicinity faster, etc, etc, etc. Basically, Microsoft's "Black Magic". Crazy stuff, I know....

Now, if you're trying to run it with DX12, shaders are compiled JIT (Just In Time) way, and DE already said they're still working those out... And you can add all the stuff I said on top of it, to aggravate your situation... Again, Microsoft's "Black Magic"! Crazy stuff, I know, and its not about your hardware physical limitations. Its the OS software limitations so... You're probably being affected by multiple factors, at the same time.

Sounds like something that ms would do.

However, warframe must be doing something wrong as well. Since like i said, we have tested other games and at least i can happily report that even one of the notoriously most demanding game in 2019: ac odyssey can run smoothly on my laptop.

so yeah, if it's indeed the problem, then warframe must be contributing something pretty huge to the "multiple factors" you said.

After the last update it improved A LOT for me, but I still see after some playtime (like 2 hours) that the game starts to stutter and after some time the stutters are that frequent that a full game restart its needed.

Im checking and the ram usage indeed was reduced A LOT from previous update (7gb on average at orbiter after a mot 20 minutes survival mission to 4.2gb at the same scenario), so they indeed fixed something, but the game its still stuttering even when there are free ram avaiable.

Already did a full check for any component failure (6 hours long tests, from ram to gpu and cpu) to discard a faulty component, and it seems to either be caused by the game itself or the OS.

Trying to debloat the gpu drivers installation (removing geforce experience) to see if that helps, but im at a loss.

Lowering graphics does reduce ram usage and the game still stutter like crazy after a few diferent missions loads, so its not related to ram usage :/

I am having the same issue with a similar PC rig while two of my friends are running the game perfectly fine with older GPUs/CPUs. I have been trying to tweak my graphic settings for nearly two weeks now but it does not change anything. I got similar frame drops with high OR low graphic settings. 

If you are indeed being affected by several factors at the same time, that are out of your control, then unfortunately yeah.

A hardware issue, if it was the case, it would be a factor well within your control. Either Warframe, or the OS itself (especially Win10), are factors outside your control.

1 hour ago, Uhkretor said:

Most likely, if you're already running Warframe with DX11 setting, your OS is to blame.

... Before people start dissing out about it, I'm going to name why its at fault - Windows Trusted Installer Module, excluding all the obvious OS software limitations that Microsoft doesn't want people finding out about. This particular module is known to be the biggest, heaviest, resource hogger of Win10 because despite being used to install OS modules (obviously), it also does everything else it isn't intended to do, like collecting and delivering telemetry, using your disk as a terminal for Windows Updates to be spread to other computers in your vicinity faster, etc, etc, etc. Basically, Microsoft's "Black Magic". Crazy stuff, I know....

Now, if you're trying to run it with DX12, shaders are compiled JIT (Just In Time) way, and DE already said they're still working those out... And you can add all the stuff I said on top of it, to aggravate your situation... Again, Microsoft's "Black Magic"! Crazy stuff, I know, and its not about your hardware physical limitations. Its the OS software limitations so... You're probably being affected by multiple factors, at the same time.

So there's nothing I can really do about all this? Just wait for some bug fixes that will hopefully make everything work once more?

2 hours ago, Lodicrous said:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six Core Processor

OS - Windows 10 x64 based PC

GPU - Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super

19 hours ago, MqToasty said:

With Win10, you really need to reboot instead of just shutting down.  In order to speed up the bootup process, MS cut corners and does not actually dump memory and unload/reload everything on shutting down:

https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shutting-down-doesnt-fully-shut-down-windows-10-but-restarting-it-does/

Alrighty, I'll try this out. I don't think it will work because it honestly seems like something is wrong with the game itself, but it can't hurt to try.

3 hours ago, Lodicrous said:

Yeah I fully turn off my computer each night once I'm done with it for the day, so it shouldn't be an issue. And WF is installed on my SSD, so its not that either, at least I don't think

With Win10, you really need to reboot instead of just shutting down.  In order to speed up the bootup process, MS cut corners and does not actually dump memory and unload/reload everything on shutting down:

https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shutting-down-doesnt-fully-shut-down-windows-10-but-restarting-it-does/

14 hours ago, MqToasty said:

Might be obvious, but just in case:

1. Have you tried rebooting your machine?  Win10 seems to require a reboot every few days or its performance starts degrading.
2. If WF is not installed on an SSD, have you tried defragmenting that drive?

Yeah I fully turn off my computer each night once I'm done with it for the day, so it shouldn't be an issue. And WF is installed on my SSD, so its not that either, at least I don't think

20 hours ago, vanaukas said:

You are using Dx11 or Dx12?

7 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

Switch to DX11 in the Launcher and switch the game renderer in the options menu from Enhanced to Classic.

... You're welcome.

Unfortunately, that didn't seem to resolve the issue. Any other tips?

Like Aadi880 said, the DX12 beta driver was accidentally set as default with this update. If you switch back to the DX11 driver, the hitching at the start of missions should disappear.

DX12 loads and compiles shaders radically differently from prior DX versions, and the devs at DE are still optimizing their code and working out the kinks to get WF running more smoothly in DX12.

13 hours ago, Lodicrous said:

Hey yall, as the title says, Ive been experiencing a lot of frame drops as of late with the recent update to the game, 29.7.0. I used to have a stable 120 fps with barely any drop in frames when loading into missions or coming back to my orbiter, but now I drop to around 12 fps for about 30 seconds after I load into a mission. After those 30 seconds it generally clears up but by god is it annoying. My computer itself has fantastic specs, so i know for a fact that those arent the problem, and I checked my graphics card drivers and theyre all to date, so i think its something wrong with the game itself. Anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to try to fix this? As a note about when i updated my game, I did have the launcher optimize the cache thing.

Thanks,

Lodicrous

Switch to DX11 in the Launcher and switch the game renderer in the options menu from Enhanced to Classic.

... You're welcome.

it's warframe, not the players.

(Edit: yes most of us have tried switching to dx11, classic engine, and all those good troubleshooting stuff such as doing pc maintenance & cross checking performance with other videogames -even heavier games)

I'll leave the same reply i left in every threads like these: 

Me and plenty others also experiencing abnormal framerate drops on start of missions. Especially open world ones.

I also noticed that laptop runs significantly hotter during crowded missions like profit taker, and although the framedrops will go away during the mission itself, performance in general would just tanks after doing such missions. even simple tasks such as returning to orbiter would take longer. Restarting warframe seems to work as a quick temporary fix.

Was playing on high settings last year with great performances, but since the ensmallening and texture updates I'm forced to switch everything to low to at least minimize the problems. Fyi they're still happening, i just feel better knowing I have done what i could.

Can't offer any advices for your problem, just want to bring more attention to this issue. If enough people are talking about it, DE might notice and do something.

Go to your launcher settings (gear-wheel on the top right corner) in warframe's launcher.

Check if Dx12 (beta) accidentally became your default graphics driver. If so, change it to Dx11.

Dx12 us currently undergoing beta tests, so it might not be stable in all computers.

Archived