Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I hate everything Star Days represent, because it reminds me what Warframe used to be.

Roble_Viejo

22 hours ago, KittySkin said:

100% agree on FOMO strategy being S#&$. At least DE re release everything from time to time and usually on a stupidly easy to get way, but its attrocious. I stoped playing a lot of games because constant FOMO or constant need to keep up with the endgame, thats a thing I like about warframe actually. It has no endgame, no real challenge, so when Im tired as #*!%, I can just sit, take what im in the mood to use and go jam.

IDK if its a good or a bad thing, but I enjoy relaxed gameplay from time to time, and I also enjoy stupidly hard games too, guess its all about my mental state at the time.

One thing I hate from warframe was the "catch up" thing wjen they release S#&$loads of stuff and you want to be up to date again. Can seriously get why this is S#&$ty for people, specially those who lack any kind of self control or are prone to develop adictions.

Also, IDK if mario's strategy its less S#&$, I mean, release a game, let it die, release a game, let it die, etc. And make people buy again and again and again the same thing with brand new colors. Its not something that I can see as a good practice, even if its healthier than the actual GAS one.

Also, for AAA studios not chocking themselfs, they do GAS rotations. Its an industry technique, I actually studied it.

They release a "big new game", push for it to get as much users as they can, gradually start to milk them until they strike balance between S#&$ty tactics and people endurance and then release another big game to cather to audience not previously cathered.

In game design career we see this and get tasked to investigate and identify the addictive components of different games and see how that is linked to monetization, how said game belongs to a segmented market, etc.

Its pretty interesting although terrifying since you realize how absurdly easy its to cheat people and milk them away from every single penny they have.

Personally im developing my game as a non GAS one, with just regular DLCs (old school quality DLCs, not this S#&$ty skins and additional single mission for 10 usd).

The thing about games like Mario, compared to Warframe, is that they can't die. There is nothing there that needs to be kept alive in the first place. It doesn't matter if Nintendo goes out of business, there are no servers to shut down, no player profiles to get deleted. The game is completely stand alone, and therefore far more permanent than a "Live Service" ever will be.

Have you heard of the Ship of Theseus? If not, its an ancient Greek thought experiment that basically goes like this: If you have a ship, and over time replace each of its boards one by one, is it still the same ship? Now, apply this to Warframe: If you have a game, and over time, you update all its mechanics and systems, do you still have the same game?

With Warframe, the answer is far more obvious than the ship, since DE hasn't even tried to replace things with identical things in most cases. Warframe was once a nice simple and functional sailboat. But now they have replaced the sailboat with a tugboat, and also added parts of a train, car, and helicopter. Its clearly not the same thing it was when it started. Sure it can do a lot more things now, but that doesn't necessarily make it better.

This is why sequential games tend to work out better. Instead of having this crazy carboattraincopter mess, we could have had a car AND a boat AND a train AND a helicopter, all at the same time. So instead of being forced to deal with the mess, we could each choose to use whichever one works the best for us at the time.

This is why its so nice that they didn't just slowly update the original Doom over the past 25 years until it eventually turned into Doom Eternal. We now have multiple games in a series to choose from, instead of just being forced to play the newest iteration. If you like the simplicity of the original Doom, with its 7 guns and 9 different enemies, you can still play it just fine. If you like the change to the slower horror style of Doom 3, you can still play that. Or if you like the crazy speed and brutality of Doom '16 or Eternal, you can play those too. And your choice doesn't affect what anyone else has to play.

So there is no need to argue about which version is the best. There is no need to beg the Devs to reinstate some removed feature that you loved, or remove something that you hate. And, you probably never have to worry about any of them suddenly becoming completely unplayable for any reason.

And yeah, DLC is fine (As long as, as you said, its actually worth the money.) because DLC doesn't usually change anything about the main game, it just adds to it. Plus, it also actually gives players more choices as to how they play the game. Since if they don't want the DLC, they don't have to buy it.

1 hour ago, Teljaxx said:

The thing about games like Mario, compared to Warframe, is that they can't die. There is nothing there that needs to be kept alive in the first place. It doesn't matter if Nintendo goes out of business, there are no servers to shut down, no player profiles to get deleted. The game is completely stand alone, and therefore far more permanent than a "Live Service" ever will be.

Have you heard of the Ship of Theseus? If not, its an ancient Greek thought experiment that basically goes like this: If you have a ship, and over time replace each of its boards one by one, is it still the same ship? Now, apply this to Warframe: If you have a game, and over time, you update all its mechanics and systems, do you still have the same game?

With Warframe, the answer is far more obvious than the ship, since DE hasn't even tried to replace things with identical things in most cases. Warframe was once a nice simple and functional sailboat. But now they have replaced the sailboat with a tugboat, and also added parts of a train, car, and helicopter. Its clearly not the same thing it was when it started. Sure it can do a lot more things now, but that doesn't necessarily make it better.

This is why sequential games tend to work out better. Instead of having this crazy carboattraincopter mess, we could have had a car AND a boat AND a train AND a helicopter, all at the same time. So instead of being forced to deal with the mess, we could each choose to use whichever one works the best for us at the time.

This is why its so nice that they didn't just slowly update the original Doom over the past 25 years until it eventually turned into Doom Eternal. We now have multiple games in a series to choose from, instead of just being forced to play the newest iteration. If you like the simplicity of the original Doom, with its 7 guns and 9 different enemies, you can still play it just fine. If you like the change to the slower horror style of Doom 3, you can still play that. Or if you like the crazy speed and brutality of Doom '16 or Eternal, you can play those too. And your choice doesn't affect what anyone else has to play.

So there is no need to argue about which version is the best. There is no need to beg the Devs to reinstate some removed feature that you loved, or remove something that you hate. And, you probably never have to worry about any of them suddenly becoming completely unplayable for any reason.

And yeah, DLC is fine (As long as, as you said, its actually worth the money.) because DLC doesn't usually change anything about the main game, it just adds to it. Plus, it also actually gives players more choices as to how they play the game. Since if they don't want the DLC, they don't have to buy it.

While I get the point of fearing that the game one day will die, its also true that A LOT of games dyied with the console they where released, specially nintendo ones. From an accesibility standopint, the only really eternal games are PC ones with old school IP based co-op for the multiplayer part.

Also, some live service games release an offline update once they die, although I doubt DE will do the same, as I said earlier, I dont mind things turning into something I dislike, its part of life and I also enjoy the nice surprise, guess that live service games have that appeal on me. I love to be surprised, for good or bad, but surprised after all haha.

Last years in game industry where a mess TBH, and since a lot of single player offline games rely on online DRM checks to be played, lots of them will die eventually, just to name one, Code Vein.

Archived