New Player Crafting Experiment

10 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

. I'm not saying it should be dumbed down

I personally wouldn't mind if it was 😝.... Just sayin... 

8 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

Learning gameplay mechanics trough pop-ups is bad design. Look at Souls series and how it teaches you mechanics through gameplay.

No it doesn't... It teaches you the Mechanics through Messages written on the Ground....

And you know what I don't even think they're worth Reading mostly because The Way the game thinks we play and the way we actually play are completely Different.

It thinks we carefully time our Attacks and Dodges hoping for the Right time to Strike... What we really do is Chain Back Stab for big Damage and Invincibility...

8 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

Wiki/patchnotes.

And yes, one can hoover mouse over every icon available on UI and read tooltips and then maybe click and see what it does.

If one does not actively look for new information (curiousity) there is no point in forcefeeding it to someone.

You know... Your Opinion is pretty extreme....

I mean mine are Extreme to but usually in the Opposite Direction compared to yours 😮 !!!

3 hours ago, topgunLT1 said:

I believe teasing the weapons that the resources can build into alone can teach players to collect the said resource and find the blue print thats needed to make the teased weapon. Again , only show the weapon that is easily acquirable from the player's explorable regions in short time, and not to show the player the weapons that would require more time investment. 

Speaking of Which... Why does Gauss... Who drops on Sedna need Resources from Both Cetus and Fortuna to Craft ? 🤔

11 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

Learning gameplay mechanics trough pop-ups is bad design. Look at Souls series and how it teaches you mechanics through gameplay.

teaching through gameplay is great, but it only works for stuff that has, well... gameplay. and for the topic at hand, resource management and crafting, there isn't really any. one of my friends started playing warframe a while ago, and they find navigating the UI to be a nightmare. having a few popups at the right times for guiding players through basic functionality menus like the Market, the Foundry, the Mods segment, while admittedly something of a bandaid fix, would reduce some of the friction there. 

the hover-for-more-info is actually one of those basic functionalities that my friend didn't realize existed at first, and they still think it's terrible UI design. the problem with asking players to "search for more information" is that they need to know what they don't know first, and popups can help with that. they're neither mutually exclusive nor redundant with codex/hover/wiki

Edited by continue
  • Like 4
11 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

Overloaded with information that is completely accessible in one place: official wiki.

The AAA gaming has become extremly hand-holding already. You get map waypoints, icons, pop-ups, tooltips and much more UI clutter. This kinda made the playerbase ignore/skip most of them including voiceover during begining of missions that tells you what to do. In those games they can still manage, but in WF you wont. 

Thats not the game fault, thats their own fault for ignoring what game tells them.

I for example knew I can mod my weapons right away but had no idea I can put any mod in any slot, thought it must be polarity match.

I didint know I can sell weapons and buy new ones for credits (still have my starting MK-1 weapons in top 10 used on MR30), which is much more accesible for neww player than crafting them. 

However after I discovered wiki all my problems went poof. 

If someone hates reading wiki wont help him. If someone got used to the new AAA system, the popups, tooltips and voiceovers wont help him either. If someone is lazy this is clearly not the game for them.

I get your point but they are making the game for casuals and avaragejoes. They give no crap about veterans or who spends time in the game.

DE done this time and time again. Show a "complex" content and than backpedal on it as hard as they can and make it as accesable as they can so an Mr 5 can play all the content without effort. Perfect example is Railjack. The original concept was much better but much more complex... now it's as complex as opening a door. >_>

There is no reason to hide information from new players who you would want to stay, not get frustrated becouse they can't figure out what is where or what to do with what and don't spend money on your game. DE at this point have an identity crisis...

If DE realy wanted to fix Warframe they should just make the start easier and the "end game" harder.

Fresh blood brings more money could be the motto of the game at this point.... no point of sticking around tbh.

It's not an Escape from Tarkov or Dark Souls. Again no reason to make it harder by hiding information. It's not that kind of game. No point in telling new players "Just go to Warframe wiki". They won't. They will ask for help ING on chats or just leave and go back to what they were playing. Read some Steam game evaluations.

You could come up with the excuse "They didn't envision the game like that" but than DE should not complain about not having players.

Smashing the new players in the face with the lack of information and kicking veterans in the dongs with lack of content and simplifying what comes out after half a year becouse it's broken and it's a simpler bandaid to butcher it than properly develop it.

Nothing shows it better than Steam Charts. In the old times Warframe used to hang out around 5th ish place. Now it's 12 or lower in the middle of the pandemic when everyone is sitting home playing games and right after "new" content drop.

I'm not a doomsayer. Warframe will live this off but it's a real question if it can ever stand up again.

DE just lost motivation. So did the players.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Speaking of Which... Why does Gauss... Who drops on Sedna need Resources from Both Cetus and Fortuna to Craft ? 🤔

Have no Idea, I have yet to collect all the warframes, Some of them I gave up because I had backlog of other stuff to farm and was tired of just farming frames. I have 500hrs of playtime so basically I'm new and prefer solo play. But yeah, some of the frames have weird resource requirements. 
Thankfully Railjack reduced a lot of the load in farming credits 120k-200k per mission, until Railjack 3.0 came in and reduced that rate a bit. 

Edited by topgunLT1
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, topgunLT1 said:

Have no Idea, I have yet to collect all the warframes, Some of them I gave up because I had backlog of other stuff to farm and was tired of just farming frames. I have 500hrs of playtime so basically I'm new and prefer solo play. But yeah, some of the frames have weird resource requirements. 
Thankfully Railjack reduced a lot of the load in farming credits 120k-200k per mission, until Railjack 3.0 came in and reduced that rate a bit. 

The Reason why im bothered by Gauss Specifically is because he's one the few Self Sustaining Warframe's... And not only that... His gimmick allows him Free Mod Slots to do with whatever the player likes....

It would be nice if he was available earlier so players can get into a proper Rhythm.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Speaking of Which... Why does Gauss... Who drops on Sedna need Resources from Both Cetus and Fortuna to Craft ?

My guess would be that there's two factors involved.  The first is that they were looking through the junk we carry around and said "O hay, these resources are mostly collecting dust right now."  The other one is flavor, in that Gauss can make use of the big open spaces to rush around, combined with the way he can actually run across the surface of the water when he's in GO FAST mode. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, garbenzine said:

My guess would be that there's two factors involved.  The first is that they were looking through the junk we carry around and said "O hay, these resources are mostly collecting dust right now."  The other one is flavor, in that Gauss can make use of the big open spaces to rush around, combined with the way he can actually run across the surface of the water when he's in GO FAST mode. 

This is Something I actually did do... On the plains it's fine because it's not that large but on the Valli's its a problem because even Gauss isn't Fast enough to make the gaps in between Bounty Stages as short as I would like.... 

BTW... Did the same thing with Loki and Nova.... And Spoiler Mode (Naramon Waybounds).... They're Roughly equally effective....

On 2021-02-13 at 5:18 AM, [DE]CoreyOnline said:

When it comes to reviewing our New Player Experience, there’s a lot of clear work to be done in terms of directing players to key story progression. However, when it comes to systems progression, we want to run some proper tests on what the true best way to teach a player the value of Crafting and Resources is.

We want to explore what happens when players are introduced to weapon crafting earlier on and how this impacts the new player experience, an exercise more commonly known as A/B testing. Our goal is to give players a suggestion on what next to pursue in Warframe after finishing their first Quest.

After completing the Vor’s Prize Quest, some new players will receive an Inbox message from Darvo that contains the Burston Blueprint along with one of three different Resources packages. For more experienced players, these small Resource bundles may not have an impact, but for new Tenno it may help them learn about the deeper crafting system in Warframe!

Overall there will be four possible outcomes for new players after completing Vor’s Prize for the first time:

1. Player completes Vor’s Prize and there is no new Inbox message.
  2. Player completes Vor’s Prize and gets an Inbox message with the Burston Blueprint and all the required Resources to build it.
  3. Player completes Vor’s Prize and gets an Inbox message with the Burston Blueprint and all required Resources to build it, except for Ferrite.
  4. Player completes Vor’s Prize and gets an Inbox message with the Burston Blueprint and no Resource package.

We’ll closely monitor whether one of these four versions leads to a better play experience and understanding of the crafting system. This test will run for four weeks before the version that appears to provide the most positive New Player Experience becomes the standard for all new players.

Understandably you may be wondering why this post is necessary if we’re looking for genuine results from this experiment. Our goal here is to be transparent and not hide the fact that we’re trying some new things in an effort to better the New Player Experience.

3/15/2021 Update:

Hello! The first 4 weeks of this experiment is nearing it's end and we're analyzing the results. We'll be leaving this experiment live while we analyze to make a permanent game plan moving forward. 

There's still not a good way to find where resources come from in game. 

Maybe within the foundry make the resource section significantly more clear as well as labels on each resource that tell you the planet its on. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Arniox said:

There's still not a good way to find where resources come from in game. 

Maybe within the foundry make the resource section significantly more clear as well as labels on each resource that tell you the planet its on. 

if you hover the mouse cursor over the resources from the inventory menu, it shows you the planets/locations where they are found from. 

6 hours ago, Troutwards said:

I guess there's a reason to them, but it's lost on me for the time being

IIRC the "flawed" mods have a lower drain requirement, so you as a player without many mod points to spend can fit them and get some involvement with the mod system. Once you start to level up you'll stop using the flawed mod that starts at a 2 point drain in favour of the ones that start at 4 points.

I responded to a plea for help from a new player. He had just completed the prologue quest and was in the orbiter for the first time. The option to activate his arsenal was not present and he was not able to progress. Restarting the app did not help. Could it be a bug?

On 2021-03-27 at 3:00 AM, Zakkhar said:

Wiki/patchnotes.

And yes, one can hoover mouse over every icon available on UI and read tooltips and then maybe click and see what it does.

If one does not actively look for new information (curiousity) there is no point in forcefeeding it to someone.

That's one of the dumbest things I've read in a while here. You know where the wiki info comes from right? It didn't magically pop out of thin air so you can have a fun time reading on a game with terrible pacing and information. I'm one of the people writing in the wiki! So maybe you should thank ME if you're so happy with it rather than trying to put me down with nonsense.

• Like 2
On 2021-04-02 at 10:17 AM, gbjbaanb said:

IIRC the "flawed" mods have a lower drain requirement, so you as a player without many mod points to spend can fit them and get some involvement with the mod system. Once you start to level up you'll stop using the flawed mod that starts at a 2 point drain in favour of the ones that start at 4 points.

My issue with this Approach is this a Waste of a very Difficult to Obtain Resource for new players...

On 2021-02-12 at 5:02 PM, bad4youLT said:

Some of the key materials are locked away behind planet progression like neural sensors or argon crystals , I think early obtainable weapons and warframes should have their material requirments changed to early planets resource .

Agree, but i wouldn't make much of a change there. Including sensors in the Phobos drop table would do so much good. Argon, might be the best if some early mission/quest drops a few, but with the warning that it will decay if not used on time.

On 2021-04-03 at 12:47 AM, RazerXPrime said:

That's one of the dumbest things I've read in a while here. You know where the wiki info comes from right? It didn't magically pop out of thin air so you can have a fun time reading on a game with terrible pacing and information. I'm one of the people writing in the wiki! So maybe you should thank ME if you're so happy with it rather than trying to put me down with nonsense.

Nobody is putting your work down, mate. He's just making a good point about curiosity not being overly present in new player's mindset. Simple, if one doesn't explore, he can't find anything, be it inside or outside the game.

I myself didn't needed wiki until i got the Furax Amalgam mod from Ropy, and was wondering wth are specialized launchers. No weapon has that kinda thing pointed out in the description, as it should have. That tho goes on the heads of DE.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...