Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Show Peculiar Content" Option

PublikDomain

Now the problem is what is peculiar, some people agree that some ephemera are fine some agree that all of them are bad, some say some sesonial are bad some good, some say that some tennogen are also bad.

There is no good anwser and that's the problem, only arbitrary anwser.

Is a pink rhino with butterfly wing immersion break and should be in this option ? well no one complain about them before (and wings will go away with time since it's a new thing).

Same for candy melee weapons.....
You say yourself that Ephemeral Bloom, Ephemeral Growth, Norg Mask are fine... But why ? they are as silly as the other items ... so that the problem.

That why that if implemented, this thing will be a pain in the ass because half of the community will say some item are missing in it and others will say that some item should not be in.

Edited by Wind_Blade
  • Like 21

Sorry! Wasn't actually getting notifications of new comments so I missed some.

On 2021-02-13 at 6:02 PM, Jem991 said:

I want show my wing if this option is come I can't show my wing my fashion frame completely breaks

You'd continue to see your frame with whatever items you have equipped regardless of the setting, it's only other players who wouldn't see your wings/candy cane/pumpkin/etc if they've opted out or if it's out of season. Players who have opted in would continue to see all of your cosmetics as they are. As it stands players who don't wish to see your fashion are forced to, and that's not fair to them.

5 hours ago, Wind_Blade said:

Now the problem is what is peculiar, some people agree that some ephemera are fine some agree that all of them are bad, some say some sesonial are bad some good, some say that some tennogen are also bad.

DE would have the final say on what would or would not be considered Peculiar. It's ultimately up to them and their creative team, but the idea is that anything distracting, goofy, or outlandish would count. On the subject of TennoGen, I don't think TennoGen would ever fall under this category since the submission guidelines should keep all of that content kosher, but again that's on DE. If anything it might give TennoGen creators a new category to create content for.

Is a pink rhino with butterfly wing immersion break and should be in this option ? well no one complain about them before (and wings will go away with time since it's a new thing).

Plenty of people complain about this, and it's the typical example given when people campaign for permanent silly cosmetics. If we can be a pink butterfly Rhino, why not a pink butterfly Rhino with bunny ears*? But while it's impossible to determine which combination of colors are too much and might be immersion-breaking, it's not impossible to determine that floppy bunny ears or a pumpkin head definitely are. A "vanilla-only" option might help with this, but that's beyond the scope of this setting.

You say yourself that Ephemeral Bloom, Ephemeral Growth, Norg Mask are fine... But why ? they are as silly as the other items ... so that the problem.

Sorry, I'll update the formatting to make it more clear. Ephemeral Bloom and Ephemeral Growth would definitely be Peculiar, but the Norg mask... I guess an argument could be made that it fits the game's aesthetic? That's why it's ultimately up to DE. I would think wearing a fish on your head would be included, but who knows what DE thinks?

That why that if implemented, this thing will be a pain in the ass because half of the community will say some item are missing in it and others will say that some item should not be in.

If someone has a good argument for why a specific item should or shouldn't be Peculiar then they're free to make it, but it's ultimately a decision for DE's creative team. And I would hope that they err on the side of caution since a non-holiday Peculiar item, like say hypothetically the butterfly wings, would only be hidden for the players who have fully opted out of seeing them. That's a decision for those players to make.

Edited by PublikDomain
  • Like 11

Personally, I hope a feature like this isn't implemented.  While part of self-expression is certainly the ability to express yourself to yourself, it's often just as much about - if not more about - expressing yourself to others.

I would guess that DE isn't likely to implement a system like this, though.  Not only have they already made a decision that they're okay with this type of visual in the game, but any items that were labeled as "peculiar" would innately have their desirability diminished because many players want to be seen, and it's not in DE or Warframe's best interest to have rewards or shop items be less desirable.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

While part of self-expression is certainly the ability to express yourself to yourself, it's often just as much about - if not more about - expressing yourself to others.

And IMO your self-expression to others doesn't outweigh their enjoyment of the game. DE seems to agree with this notion because they allow you to mute other Octavia players or reduce ally visual effects for the same reason.

Mye79ku.png

nOe3qZU.png

7 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

any items that were labeled as "peculiar" would innately have their desirability diminished because many players want to be seen

The default option would allow these items to remain seen just as they are now, with the exception of the few items that are already permanent. Only players who fully opt out wouldn't see them, and that should be their choice and no one else's. Besides that, any potential decrease in desirability by some players opting out should be offset by the increase in desirability from these cosmetics all becoming permanent so you and like-minded players can view them year-round.

Edited by PublikDomain
  • Like 19

On 2021-02-18 at 4:04 AM, (PSN)Unstar said:

Personally, I hope a feature like this isn't implemented.  While part of self-expression is certainly the ability to express yourself to yourself, it's often just as much about - if not more about - expressing yourself to others.

It has to be implemented sooner or later. Players are already upset seeing these “peculiar” cosmetics. If DE let it grow a new “Remove Peculiar Items” group will rise and invade the forums with their “Remove Peculiars” threads with a splash of toxicity.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, taiiat said:

note that "when appropriate" is obscure - better described as say... 'Seasonal', or something that's atleast a bit more descriptive.

It is a little generic, but that's the intention. Years ago the idea was just "Show Festive Cosmetics", but it turns out not all silly things are festive nor cosmetics. There are a lot of little in-betweens that can fall under the same umbrella, hence the gradual change of focus. Calling the option "when in season" would work for most things, but what about silly items without a corresponding season like Peculiar Bloom? By default you should see this year-round, because that's when it's appropriate to be seen. The only time you shouldn't see it is if you've fully opted out. That's the thinking, anyways. If there's a better term I'm all for it, but "seasonal" might not be it.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, taiiat said:

if it's that level of generic, then the user doesn't know what the setting represents. that's not a good setting.

I mean I think it speaks for itself? Peculiar content - that is content prefixed with the AH1Wq7a.png Peculiar icon - would be shown (or hidden) by the setting. By default this content is shown only when it is appropriate to be shown. You could also choose to always show this content or never show this content.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...