Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Low internet players destroy the game experiense.

johnolesen77

vor 10 Stunden schrieb _R_o_g_u_e_:

You can set your own ping limit.

If the ping limit actually solved this no one even with default settings would ever be matched to a host with over 300 ping, which is still very playable, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Sadly region and ping limit only goes so far. It wont solve your issues. I'm from europe and have europe as my region, with a ping limit of 150ms iirc, I still end up with hosts that have far higher ping aswell as americans in my groups from time to time. Region and ping only seems to act as your prefered search parameters, when those cant be met for whatever reason you end up with whatever the game decides.

I've had groups where I've hosted where one person in the group has complained about poor hosting while the other two have had a perfect experience, and in most of those cases, that single person has played from somewhere in the north or south american regions and the others have connected to me from europe. They've been shocked each time and wondered wtf the purpose is with region setting and ping limit when they keep ending up in regions far far of.

1 hour ago, Krankbert said:

If the ping limit actually solved this no one even with default settings would ever be matched to a host with over 300 ping, which is still very playable, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I have my ping limit set to 100 and I never have issues with ping 🤷 

I assumed we were having this conversation because OP wasn’t aware it existed.

worse I find strange people like now:
disrupt mission. mr27 doesn't even pick up the keys. i kill all 8 mini bosses solo ... (i'm wisp with kuva nukor (heat + viral + rad) and with finisher gunblade with corr and even operator with lockdown. ok ... everything dies in seconds). but at least you can play primitive mission? there was also a beginner mr12. he probably can't do enough damage. no problem!
in the end i also saw that i done 78% teamdamage.

epic fail with such people 🤦‍♂️

Can confirm that even with a low ping limit, I still get matched with extremely laggy hosts from time to time. It may be because there is only an initial check if the host is reachable fast enough.

That does not take into account that the host performance can vary greatly and a 20ms latency during the initial connection test can turn into permanent 4000ms latency while loading into the mission because the host uses mobile internet, shared medium cable internet, faulty host computer configuration or any other circumstance that can affect connection.

The Warframe client even reacts pretty allergic to these issues from time to time, already had lock-ups, or weird behaviour into the mission from potato internet of the host.

I would prefer being host most, if not all the time, but implementing a setting for that would introduce other problems with matchmaking in general.

Maybe DE can just harden the client a bit more or move away from p2p matchmaking in general in favor of a more stable and secure server-client architecture with true Warframe-servers for missions.

On 2021-02-14 at 9:25 PM, johnolesen77 said:

I myself have 300 / 300 mb

I have a 1gb fiber net and a pretty high setup, still people that are from the other side of the globe experience lag sometimes.
Or even some closer because of the connection between different isp's or something(someone tried to explain it to me once but I didn't get it clearlyl, ping different connections etc).
The point is in theory my net should be perfect for everyone, but in practice some complain that there is lag when I'm host.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb vegetosayajin:

I have a 1gb fiber net and a pretty high setup, still people that are from the other side of the globe experience lag sometimes.
Or even some closer because of the connection between different isp's or something(someone tried to explain it to me once but I didn't get it clearlyl, ping different connections etc).
The point is in theory my net should be perfect for everyone, but in practice some complain that there is lag when I'm host.

Maybe your ISP employs bad peering, as in routing its network traffic through overloaded or too many hubs.

Instead of your traffic going from A through B and C to destination D, it goes from A to B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J and finally to destination K.

The less direct the path, the worse the latency. Bandwith is not that important when hosting a Warframe match because not much has to reach other players, but it must reach them fast.

I have been using a small local ISP for a while and while I had guaranteed 100MBit/s, they routed all their traffic over 2 different countries before going back to our main hub which resulted in a huge detour when wanting to play on european servers located in my country.

Switching to the biggest ISP with only a 30MBit/s DSL connection in the same city cut my latency from ~80ms to ~12ms-20ms for most games with european servers.

On 2021-02-14 at 3:28 PM, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

Just want to point out, raw data rate isn't everything for a multiplayer game.  In fact, above about 1-5mbps it's largely irrelevant.  The far more important factor is latency or ping.  It doesn't matter for a game if you can upload 1gbps if it takes 3 seconds for a response.

Which is exactly why satellite internet isn't great for gaming even though it's bandwidth might be comparable to landlines. But if it's all you have, run with it. 

I'm old enough to remember gaming on a 56k dialup modem with everyone running latency in the 500 range. 

4 hours ago, Sace said:

Can confirm that even with a low ping limit, I still get matched with extremely laggy hosts from time to time. It may be because there is only an initial check if the host is reachable fast enough.

That does not take into account that the host performance can vary greatly and a 20ms latency during the initial connection test can turn into permanent 4000ms latency while loading into the mission because the host uses mobile internet, shared medium cable internet, faulty host computer configuration or any other circumstance that can affect connection.

The Warframe client even reacts pretty allergic to these issues from time to time, already had lock-ups, or weird behaviour into the mission from potato internet of the host.

I would prefer being host most, if not all the time, but implementing a setting for that would introduce other problems with matchmaking in general.

Maybe DE can just harden the client a bit more or move away from p2p matchmaking in general in favor of a more stable and secure server-client architecture with true Warframe-servers for missions.

VPNs also further builds to the issues of WF matchmaking, since they can give false regional variables and scewed ping results on initial checkup aswell. And the first checkup seems crucial to the WF matchmaker since we have no lobby. I mean, we go instantly from searching to ending up in a mission either as client or host.

Archived