Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What do you do when someone messes up a spy mission in a public game? What do you do if you screw up?

Tesseract7777

I offer warm encouragement, and try to re-motivate squad for another attempt. I remember my very first Sortie Lua Rescue, that, whilst not a Spy, has an annoying mechanic, that involves Hacking, Alarms, Timing and can involve accidentally messing up a fail condition for other players. I messed up, because I wasn't really aware of its fail conditions, and basically failed the mission for the random squad I had been running with. Was also one of my first Sorties, so well, basically I felt horrible and avoided doing Sorties for a while. Now, personally, I tend to be harder on myself than other people, but I also know that I am not unique, and that many people are hard on themselves and feel guilt and pressure over such mistakes and issues... and well, I would rather people have fun, and participate and try to learn, even if that means failing sometimes. Would hate people to feel discouraged from joining Sorties etc 

Its been a long time since I struggled with any Spy (or Lua Hostage/Spy) because I went and did a bunch solo, mastered my hacking, and patterns etc and just general repetition and playing the game a lot, but I still have the memory of how bad it can feel, so I really wouldn't anyone else to feel that way. 

If I am short on time, if daily reset is near, or anything like that, then I'll just solo such missions (Sortie, Steel Path etc), more for convenience, I need to hurry etc Its easier, but sometimes not as fun. If I do it in a team, I hold no expectations, and just hope everyone has fun. If 3 people die, from Rad procs, someones Liches shows up to help, but blow our cover, Stalker shows up, someone marks an Ayatan Sculpture in other side of map, we fail two of the three vaults, well, we might have failed, but that sounds kinda funny. 

If I am the one who messes up? Thankfully its been a long long time since. I use to just apologise in chat, say that I am really drunk and tired, but not really drunk, just tired. Say that a spider fell from the roof, offer to give people fish, and then quickly leave. 

I pretty much always Solo spy, or if I'm with friends I take Ivara w/ Infiltrate, so screwing up is basically impossible. but on the very rare occasions it does happen:

if other people screw up, it depends on who it is and where we are. obviously I can't expect an MR2 to know what's goign on, even if they watched every Mission Impossible Film on loop and are usually good at dodging lasers, they still won't know the layout, and that's what you need: once you do these vaults enough and learn the setup of each room, eventually you reach the point where you can practically do it blindfolded. invis? use vents. lasers? timing is key. there's always a way to do every vault without needing invis, it's just quicker with invis. if it's not a newbie, I kind of facepalm, but only if it's the "regualr" vaults (I;ll give people a pass on Kuva Fortress/Jupiter/Lua because those vautls do require some semblance of skill.

on the very rare occasions I screw up with others, I'll usually mark the occasion with an expletive and then run to cipher the data vault. most of the time I'm closest tot he vault because I know the layouts, so if me or someone else screws up, I swoop in to extract the Data.

I know not everyone likes Spy missions, but please, at least TRY to learn the Vaults: you'll feel like such a bada$$ ninja when you extract the data undetected without relying on cloaking or Limbo's Rift. it'll make you feel good and you won't be ruining public Spy Sorties (if you're crazy enoguh to do them).

one last tip: learn the difference between visual (seeing) lasers and Physical ones. visual ones are the ones that drones have and will detect you if they see you, even in the rift, but they cannot detect you if you go invisible. physical lasers are the grids that move in corpus vaults, and Grineer energy doors are physiclaly triggered too: these lasers will knock you down when triggered and will go of even when invisible. you need to go around them (there's always a route) or use Limbo's Rift to bypass them. Ivara's Infiltrate gets through both types of lasers no matter what, but that's too easy :).

When they were new, i did them solo to learn and to not be a burden/avoid getting carried. After i knew what to do, i tried a few public games and, well, since it is what it is, i went back doing all spy missions exclusively solo. Never used any perma invisible frame anyway, which takes a little extra time, which most players in warframe hate, so it works for everybody.

What do you do when someone messes up a spy mission in a public game?

Generally nothing. It's no big deal. If it's a sortie for some reason (I don't do those on public anyway) then I'd use an Air Support Charge.

What do you do if you screw up?

I don't. Once you complete The War Within, you get something that trivializes Spy vaults.

3 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

When someone screws up do you:

E) Switch to Solo and do it myself before I catch r*****itis, and live happily ever after in that matchmaking state.

3 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

And if you screw up do you:

E) I have an adaptive immunity mod, and an efficiency mod as well, against "Screw up" status change that are always active and never expire. They're called "High Alert Instincts" and "Excessive Practical Knowledge", respectively so... I don't know, people should try those mods.

... Oh wait, those are my exclusive mods and they make a set with "+200%  Situational Awareness" and "+300% Precise Reflexes" effects.

Spoiler

...................................................................................................................................................

Spoiler

Oops

If it's the sortie I just go again in pub, if it's Kuva you only need two done anyway.

Hell I'm stricter with friends in the Clan I know, they can't do the sortie spy missions dunno why, but they leave them to me because I do them in no time and know the back ways into them, I did let one of them have a go and that resulted in a mission restart.

I must train my minions to do vaults and be in there with them if they stuff up.

7 hours ago, Merrcenary said:

people who knows how to do spy do it in solo

This.

So if you get butthurt by bad spy players who are more likely to appear in random matchmakings, just play it solo.

With that said, couple of days ago i accidentally started a sortie spy on public. As a wukong i intentionally pass the first console, miraculously as i retrieved the second console, a titania has flew and finished the third one, while two other players did the first one. So good spy players exist, just pretty rare.

==========

My answers btw:

If others screw up: Do nothing, finished the mission quick, and leave. Spy is a quick mission, no need to add lost time by arguing.

If i screw up: Quickly apologize with a short "my bad" and move on.

6 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

I never got mad, when I was new I joined public hoping to get carried, but now I do them no problem. I have no problem carrying people, because it's the rewards that the new players need. I really banked on getting those Anasas for endo and the 4k endo to rank up my mods.

Fun fact: for the Lua rescue, you actually have to hack a console, and listen for the voice of the NPC. He says "I'm in here!" And you go into the portal where he'll be then you can walk out. 

I play the game with music on a lot, so I used to just try to hack all the consoles and couldn't figure out why I failed lol.

I auto skip sorties with that rescue mission. I find it obnoxious that you have a minute to save the idiot but half the time is stolen because of that slow assed door opening to get into the complex.

Regarding spy in general. I just offer to hack all consoles. I have Ivara plus augment to skip all traps and I have no problems with manual hacking. I blast around in Spoiler mode between vaults because I can't get the hang of guiding Wukong in cloud mode.

I mostly do mine solo. I'd dare say I've probably done somewhere around 97% of my spies solo. Spies are some of my go-to for affinity farming for a frame that's a bit on the weak side as it starts fresh and when I just want to be solo and not deal with Hydron/Helene or SO. It might not be the fastest but it gives me a peace of mind so I enjoy it. So I've got a fair amount of Spy experience now days because of this and rarely fail opening vaults.

Having said that, spies are one of those weird missions where it's just flat out easier to solo unless you by chance have a solid team all experienced in spy vaults. It just opens too many points of failure doing it public, whereas doing it solo you only have yourself to blame. When I feel spicy for the day, I might do a public spy sortie. Depending on the type and the MR I either wonder to myself how the person made a mistake or I simply don't care and let it slide. If I caught the mistake first hand I might type out a tip, but that's pretty rare since doing them public is rare on my part to begin with. I'm never salty about it, however. Not that an MR is an indication of skill but at a certain point I kinda feel like one should get a handle of most of the vaults and have the gear setup to mitigate any errors along the way. However as we're all human, mistakes do occur.

I rarely do spy anymore , the few times it comes on sortie I usually solo it if it's first on the list. 

If for some reason I do join or start it on public I just say something like " don't rush if you aren't confident about it " in the beginning, most people do comply.

In scenarios where it still fails, the squad usually disbands before I can comment anything (whether it is my fault or not) 

In the rare cases they don't disband , I just say "don't worry S#&$ happens , let's go again " , and if it was my fault I say " my bad " followed by a brief reasoning.

7 hours ago, ZeroX4 said:

I dont play with friends and i dont make pre made squads and everything below will apply to sortie spy missions

If i fail i say why and i tell evry1 to stay in squad and offer to do all consoles
If someone fails i pretty much do the same
I tell them dont leave lets repeat just dont touch consoles

In 1st case i just want to say im not uber console hacker i just dont fail often +/- once per half year because of lag or something
I run spy missions with wukong and that let me learn how to be more careful efficient and fast (cloud walker)

I believe ppl should learn to spy without stealth frames and that would make them fail less

Wukong + percipacity (via helminth) and you don't need to solve the consoles. 

36 минут назад, Butterfly85 сказал:

I auto skip sorties with that rescue mission. I find it obnoxious that you have a minute to save the idiot but half the time is stolen because of that slow assed door opening to get into the complex.

Regarding spy in general. I just offer to hack all consoles. I have Ivara plus augment to skip all traps and I have no problems with manual hacking. I blast around in Spoiler mode between vaults because I can't get the hang of guiding Wukong in cloud mode.

you know you you can avoid opening the door by going through the tunnel that is on the opposite side of the door?

Been quite a while since I fed up a spy mission but I would always apologize, even if most people would probably not be interested in it.

If somebody else fails and apologizes, I have no grudge and would try it again, I usually have those few minutes.

An exception would be Lua and Kuva spy. When I had to farm those, I did it alone because I wanted to optimize my time management a little and was too bored to search for experienced people to do it with. It's not like they are that hard to do, I just think that the chance of failing is quite a bit higher than on the other spy missions.

One thing I want to mention, though: More often than not I could save a team from fail by deploying Ordis and I was always the only one doing it. Please, instead of insulting someone, just try to at least support in any way you can.

1 hour ago, ZeroX4 said:

WITCHCRAFT!!!!

i didnt know it even exists THX

In addition to percipacity, you want the mod on your parazon that makes you invisible. That makes missions like Lua Spy even easier b/c the thingies can't see you and you get an invisibility reset after each terminal.

Energy reduction still sucks though. Don't really have a good suggestion for that, though maybe limbo + percipacity + parazon invisibility for that one. 

I sometimes go pub in spy in premade relic runs, i usually propose it because people often choose a longer mission when spy is just the faster option. 

The only times i go pub in spy sorties is when i click on the mission, then i forget i'm not in solo mode and the matchmaking won't let me abort despite me mashing the esc button while my brain goes oh no oh no oh no.

But even then, you only need one other guy who knows how to do them to complete them before someone mess up and you can always ask for the others to stay outside the vaults if they re not familiar with the mission. It's just my ape brain has been conditioned for too long to spy = solo

As for how would i react if i mess up, i don't know, i've done so many spy that i can't see failing one but i would like to believe i'll apologie and go on, but i would probably disconnect. And if someone else mess up then i have no prob, i try to give some tips since i like those mission.

2 hours ago, Bingotough said:

In addition to percipacity, you want the mod on your parazon that makes you invisible. That makes missions like Lua Spy even easier b/c the thingies can't see you and you get an invisibility reset after each terminal.

Energy reduction still sucks though. Don't really have a good suggestion for that, though maybe limbo + percipacity + parazon invisibility for that one. 

Actually going into rift with Limbo u can walk like a elephant on Lua spy (including trough lasers)
Doing it all the time with Limbo for SP and no special/additional mods are needed

And its Perspicacity not PerCipacity

Archived