Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"You have been playing for an hour" should be removed

Spycoal

I'm not here to have a political discussion about this, but spamming my chat doesn't get me to take a break.

To repeat what previous threads already said, most things you do in Warframe don't happen in under a hour unless you're lucky.
At the same time, Warframe is rated 18 PEGI and Mature by ESBR, the target audience is in the EU the age of majority.

Probably all EU players would love to have this message removed or have a longer interval (3 hours for example), it clutters chat while having no measurable effect.
I'm aware that Rebecca said in 2018 that it's to comply with a law but I wasn't able to find law or mumbles about it on the web outside of Warframe communities.
I have to say though that I don't play that many games. It would be great to know for which law it was specifically made.

I find the message highly annoying tbh. I play the game for 45minutes, go afk to do laundry or get food, come back and get greeted by "Take a break". Umm, I was just taking a break ty very much. And the whole "it is a law" claim; why is this the only online game I play that sends this message every hour? All I've seen are random loading screen tips about taking a break in WoW and some other MMO, but no ingame messages.

I only had a couple minutes to look it up but the requirement to remind you how long you've been playing seems to be part of the EU's AntiTrust laws that govern various aspects of gaming, including geo-locking games and loot boxes.

While it's annoying to you, DE is apparently legally obligated to put it in, they can't just remove it because it annoys someone.  At best, you could ask for a setting in options to turn it off.  At worst, just change regions if it's really that bothersome.  North America doesn't deal with that.

Can't you disable it by hiding all chat channels?

Even if you get yourself chatbanned, you still have the Clan chat which still spams these messages iirc., not entirely sure though.

You could try to downsize the chat window to the point you don't see the text anymore.

20 minutes ago, Leyvonne said:

why is this the only online game I play that sends this message every hour?

If I had to guess, it may have something to do with the style of game.. seeing as it's got mechanics akin to 'loot-crates', and encourages or offers endurance type runs where a player can be in a mission longer than an hour to complete a 'single objective.'

My line of thinking there is that, a game of Tetris has a reasonable expectation that a player will finish a game within a number of minutes, where as playing warframe likely has a far longer average expected player engagement time. I'm surprised WoW doesn't have this, though WoW's current average player engagement time may be shorter, or have a different way of logging player activity that shows shorter play times.

Not sure, but I have wondered about this.

35 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

. I'm surprised WoW doesn't have this, though WoW's current average player engagement time may be shorter, or have a different way of logging player activity that shows shorter play times.

I heard that WoW decrease your exp gain if you play too much.

36 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

My line of thinking there is that, a game of Tetris has a reasonable expectation that a player will finish a game within a number of minutes, where as playing warframe likely has a far longer average expected player engagement time.

I think it's matter if it's "finishable".

Games like Warframe you can probably play for hours or even days without any major interruption. Open worlds make even less interruptions.

Single player games have some kind of "time limits" so it's "harder" to play for longer period of time. Games like Mario have few lives and some other life-like things. After you lose all "lives" you have to start from the start. Other games don't limit you by "lifes" but sessions are short. So you repeat them till you get better or get bored very soon, hence less playtime.

Just now, quxier said:

I heard that WoW decrease your exp gain if you play too much.

I think it's matter if it's "finishable".

Games like Warframe you can probably play for hours or even days without any major interruption. Open worlds make even less interruptions.

Single player games have some kind of "time limits" so it's "harder" to play for longer period of time. Games like Mario have few lives and some other life-like things. After you lose all "lives" you have to start from the start. Other games don't limit you by "lifes" but sessions are short. So you repeat them till you get better or get bored very soon, hence less playtime.

Yep. Didn't know this about WoW's exp, but this is very much along the lines of what I was thinking.

1 hour ago, MagPrime said:

I only had a couple minutes to look it up but the requirement to remind you how long you've been playing seems to be part of the EU's AntiTrust laws that govern various aspects of gaming, including geo-locking games and loot boxes.

While it's annoying to you, DE is apparently legally obligated to put it in, they can't just remove it because it annoys someone.  At best, you could ask for a setting in options to turn it off.  At worst, just change regions if it's really that bothersome.  North America doesn't deal with that.

Are you sure it's under Anti-Trust laws for the EU? I still wasn't able to find much besides the fiasco with the Valve Geo-Locking case.
Otherwise, I think loot boxes are only restricted / properly regulated by individual states, not the whole EU (?).
It would be wonderful if there was a snippet where exactly.

Just now, Spycoal said:

Are you sure it's under Anti-Trust laws for the EU? I still wasn't able to find much besides the fiasco with the Valve Geo-Locking case.
Otherwise, I think loot boxes are only restricted / properly regulated by individual states, not the whole EU (?).
It would be wonderful if there was a snippet where exactly.

All searches led to anti trust stuff, and it's not exclusive to the EU.  The US has their own anti trust laws that are similar to the EU's.  As to specific mention; I don't have a dog in this fight.  

1 hour ago, Hobie-wan said:

When does this pop up? I can't say I've ever noticed it. I'm in the US FWIW.

You will get the message periodically if you switch your ingame region to Europe. US region doesn't trigger this message. I just sit in US anyways because I personally feel that trade chat is better there.

14 hours ago, Volkeris said:

Is it really so intrusive that it interrupts your gameplay?

Can speak for myselof only, but even though it's not intrusive, every hour it reminds me that devs MADE the content artifically longer by filling it to brimm with bad RNG. This message only lacks the sentence "maybe visit our shop to skip nasty grind TEEE-HEEE"

2 minutes ago, Travis05 said:

Europe laws. Nothing DE can do about it

i disagree, you can always comply with the law in a less annoying manner, example: make it so it disappears after you read it/changed tab or alternatively make it so it only appears in squad chat.

hace 7 minutos, Xikto dijo:

i disagree, you can always comply with the law in a less annoying manner, example: make it so it disappears after you read it/changed tab or alternatively make it so it only appears in squad chat.

In my opinion now its perfect. Annoying enough to comply with the law but not too annoying that it disrupts your game. I mean whats the use if the message can be easily ignored or forgot. If they get an inspection and find the message is useless, they will force them to do it more annoying. Then you will have a message with big font or a window that you have to close, appearing in the middle of the screen every hour.

But knowing DE they arent worried about an inspection. Their policy is if it is not broken, dont fix it. Someone made the warning system and it will stay that way unless they get a very big amount of negative feedback.

8 minutes ago, Travis05 said:

Then you will have a message with big font or a window that you have to close

a much better tactic, since after you close the said message it will not be in ur face every single time you look at ur chat, but with the current system everytime i go afk and come back i must see a few of "you have been playing for an hour" messages until i go ahead and manually remove them from my view by typing stuff in chat.

Archived