Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need tips for trading as an only-solo player.

ShepBlox

Question

(This is has probably been asked 10+ times, but I couldn't get the hang of it. Also, first post on the forum, so please tell me if I missed anything.)

Hey everybody.

So I just finished 'The War Within', and was thinking to myself that I had probably reached around mid-game. Since I only have 2 frames, Excali and Valk (yes 2, when I returned to Warframe I realized that I had spent my plat on rushing stuff, so there's that..), I was thinking of getting into trading in Warframe, mainly because I have a lot of Warframe parts sitting in my foundry (I never made them because I knew I wouldn't use / get to use them) I rarely ever play multiplayer (probably 5-7 missions total), so I am currently really nervous (I don't like messing stuff up and being the culprit) because the only 'trading' I have done was in other games in Steam which had bots which would automatically trade with me. I also haven't joined a clan yet which is probably really bad when starting to trade.

TL;DR I almost never play multiplayer and need tips for trading, or whether I should even trade at the point where I'm at.

Off the boring stuff, here are the questions :-

What type of mindset should I have when trading?

How should I approach trading without plat?

Should I talk first or the buyer?

Should I feel uncomfortable near other people who are selling better stuff (Rivens, etc.)?

How long does it take, and how should I talk to an impatient person if there ever was one?

Should I set my pricing average from 2 different prices? (For ex. if the prices on warframe.market are 2 and 7, should I average and choose 5 as my final pricing?)

Should I rush trading or take my time and try maximizing my profit by not quickselling?

All done! Thanks to TheAvidoZ, Soy77 and acevezwing for helping me!

14 answers to this question

What type of mindset should I have when trading? "Most warframe players are honest. But scammers always exist". So be polite but be careful.

What is a 'trade to trade' and how should I approach it? Never heard of it

Should I talk first or the buyer? Depends. if you sell on wfmarket, buyer normally contact you first. But if you happen to stumble "WTB posts" on trade chat and have the item that guy wants, then you contact the buyer first.

Should I feel uncomfortable near other people who are selling better stuff (Rivens, etc.)? No. Never. Which reminds me, scammers sometimes try to make you feel uncomfortable so you'll fall into their trap. Such as saying that multiple trades are normal, or all the veterans trade this way, etc.

How long does it take, and how should I talk to an impatient person if there ever was one? 0 seconds? If one of you don't like the first offer, they have full permission to not replying at all and avoid some useless price bargaining. Although i would appreciate a polite "sorry mate that won't work" before immediately close chat.

Should I set my pricing average from 2 different prices? (For ex. if the prices on warframe.market are 2 and 7, should I average and choose 5 as my final pricing?) If you want to buy an item that are priced 2 and 7 in wfmarket, which seller would you chose, the 2 or the 7? If you want your stuff to sell, you have no other option but to go for 2.

Should I rush trading or take my time and try maximizing my profit by not quickselling? Up to you.

I have one rule for trading: only agree to the items that are on the trade window. If you sell 6 arcanes for 10p each, then the trade window need to have 6 arcanes traded for 60p. No multiple trade session, no paying upfront, only believe in that one trade window.

Trade process can be as simple as it should. Buyer copy msg from wfmarket, seller receive msg and say "sure man. Inv me". Both go to dojo and trade happens. Both says thanks and be on their ways. Literally only two lines was exchanged to make the trade happen.

16 minutes ago, ShepBlox said:
  1. What type of mindset should I have when trading?
  2. What is a 'trade to trade' and how should I approach it?
  3. Should I talk first or the buyer?
  4. Should I feel uncomfortable near other people who are selling better stuff (Rivens, etc.)?
  5. How long does it take, and how should I talk to an impatient person if there ever was one?
  6. Should I set my pricing average from 2 different prices? (For ex. if the prices on warframe.market are 2 and 7, should I average and choose 5 as my final pricing?)
  7. Should I rush trading or take my time and try maximizing my profit by not quickselling?

1.) Just keep in mind your price target and wiggle room. 

2.) Im not sure I understand this question

3.) Depends if you're buying or selling but in general it doesn't really matter. See #7 below.

4.) You're talking about Maroos Bazaar?  imo, its a waste of time to trade there. See #7 below.

5.) The longest part of trading should be loading into/out of the dojo. This is why people trade of WF marketplace. Set the price, let the buyer come to you and execute the trade with the already agreed upon terms quickly. 

6.) Set prices where you want them based on how quickly you want to sell and adjust down if too much time has elapsed.

7.) Passive trading is the way to go. List your items on WF marketplace and let the buyers come to you. The majority of your time in game as a trader should be spent obtaining items to sell with minimal time spent executing trades. Sitting in Maroos Bazaar is time wasted that could have been spent increasing inventory.  This relates to #6 also, remember to balance profit vs time. Time is money and making 5 smaller sales can turn a higher net profit than waiting for the one big fish

1 minute ago, TheAvidoZ said:

1.) Just keep in mind your price target and wiggle room

2.) Im not sure I understand this question

3.) Depends if you're buying or selling but in general it doesn't really matter. See #7 below.

4.) You're talking about Maroos Bazaar?  imo, its a waste of time to trade there 

5.) The longest part of trading should be loading into/out of the dojo

6.) Set prices where you want them based on how quickly you want to sell and adjust down if too much time has elapsed.

7.) Passive trading is the way to go. List your items on WF marketplace and let the buyers come to you. Your time in game as a trader should be spent obtaining items to sell. Sitting in Maroos Bazaar is time wasted that could have been spent increasing inventory.  This relates to #6 also, remember to balance profit vs time. Time is money and making 5 smaller sales can turn a higher profit than waiting for the one big fish

Thanks for the reply this is definitely helpful. About the second question, I heard something about trade for trade instead of using plat. About the dojo loading times, does anything other than the hard disk affect load time?

2 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

What type of mindset should I have when trading? "Most warframe players are honest. But scammers always exist". So be polite be be careful.

What is a 'trade to trade' and how should I approach it? Never heard of it

Should I talk first or the buyer? Depends. if you sell on wfmarket, buyer normally contact you first. But if you happen to stumble "WTB posts" on trade chat and have the item that guy wants, then you contact the buyer first.

Should I feel uncomfortable near other people who are selling better stuff (Rivens, etc.)? No. Never. Which reminds me, scammers sometimes try to make you feel uncomfortable so you'll fall into their trap. Such as saying that multiple trades are normal, or all the veterans trade this way, etc.

How long does it take, and how should I talk to an impatient person if there ever was one? 0 seconds? If one of you don't like the first offer, they have full permission to not replying at all and avoid some useless price bargaining. Although i would appreciate a polite "sorry mate that won't work" before immediately close chat.

Should I set my pricing average from 2 different prices? (For ex. if the prices on warframe.market are 2 and 7, should I average and choose 5 as my final pricing?) If you want to buy an item that are priced 2 and 7 in wfmarket, which seller would you chose, the 2 or the 7? If you want your stuff to sell, you have no other option but to go for 2.

Should I rush trading or take my time and try maximizing my profit by not quickselling? Up to you.

I have one rule for trading: only agree to the items that are on the trade window. If you sell 6 arcanes for 10p each, then the trade window need to have 6 arcanes traded for 60p. No multiple trade session, no paying upfront, only believe in that one trade window.

Trade process can be as simple as it should. Buyer copy msg from wfmarket, seller receive msg and say "sure man. Inv me". Both go to dojo and trade happens. Both says thanks and be on their ways. Literally only two lines was exchanged to make the trade happen.

Thanks for the info regarding scammers, never really faced one of them, but don't want to be caught off guard. I might also reword 'trade to trade', I meant of it as trading without plat.

3 minutes ago, ShepBlox said:

Thanks for the info regarding scammers, never really faced one of them, but don't want to be caught off guard. I might also reword 'trade to trade', I meant of it as trading without plat.

You mean WTT {want to trade)? Trading item for item?

I guess people rarely do this because finding the right person who happen to need to exact item you're willing to trade will be like finding a needle in haystack. You both gotta be really lucky. But if you managed to find each other then good for you guys.

If rookies struggling to sell their items through wfmarket, an advice that i always give them to just open trade chat and play warframe like usual, but keep an eye out for "WTB" posts. If you see a person looking to buy items that you happen to have, msg them with an offer (check wfmarket for price), and transaction can happen immediately. 

Just now, Soy77 said:

You mean WTT {want to trade)? Trading item for item?

I guess people rarely do this because finding the right person who happen to need to exact item you're willing to trade will be like finding a needle in haystack. You both gotta be really lucky. But if you managed to find each other then good for you guys.

If rookies struggling to sell their items through wfmarket, an advice that i always give them to just open trade chat and play warframe like usual, but keep an eye out for "WTB" posts. If you see a person looking to buy items that you happen to have, msg them with an offer (check wfmarket for price), and transaction can happen immediately. 

Oh, that's what they call it! I thought WTT was common so I was really confused how it is possible to find a good offer. Since I'm not in a clan yet, I will take around 3 days to warm up to the dojo then start trading. All my questions are answered so I will mark this as the answer.

9 minutes ago, ShepBlox said:

I might also reword 'trade to trade', I meant of it as trading without plat.

Barter? As in WTT or WTTF? It's handy if you don't want to waste plat and can even cut the time needed to farm stuff (like weapon sets). The prime time for bartering is on launch week of said set (e.g. Shedu). I completed my multiple Shedu sets (I got a lot of dupes of one of its parts) by bartering.

Also, it's easier to find a trade if you trade stuff in the same "category/group" (corrupted mods for corrupted mods, syndicate offering for syndicate offering, shedu parts for shedu parts, etc) and always specify the stuff you have to offer. Otherwise you are just wasting time by going back and forth with what you have and what the other player wants.

Just now, acevezwing said:

Barter? As in WTT or WTTF? It's handy if you don't want to waste plat and can even cut the time needed to farm stuff (like weapon sets). The prime time for bartering is on launch week of said set (e.g. Shedu). I completed my multiple Shedu sets (I got a lot of dupes of one of its parts) by bartering.

Also, it's easier to find a trade if you trade stuff in the same "category/group" (corrupted mods for corrupted mods, syndicate offering for syndicate offering, shedu parts for shedu parts, etc) and always specify the stuff you have to offer. Otherwise you are just wasting time by going back and forth with what you have and what the other player wants.

So, for example prime sets?

3 minutes ago, acevezwing said:

2 minutes ago, ShepBlox said:

Gotcha, thanks for the info!

1 minute ago, ShepBlox said:

IF it has the same value/rarity. Stuff with different rarity is a bit hard to trade. It isn't impossible but it's hard/unlikely. For example, I remember got a rare Tekko Prime part by trading it with a rare Atlas part.

Warframe.market in your browser.

You can get a good idea of prices, contact players to trade with, and list items for sale there. For a solo player especially, this requires the absolute least amount of interfacing between players, and rules out much of the variables and guess work.

Archived