Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove/Reduce the Time Lock on Mastery Rank Tests

(PSN)KhaosWolf94

I've seen threads like this before in the past, but now I'm saying it again because with the involvement of MR30 and further Prestige Ranks in the works. This is a problem. Here's why. 

First let me acknowledge that I understand why this is in place. DE doesn't want people blowing through MR but at best you can get to MR16 in 16 Days. However DE has a pandemic of issues that look good on paper but fall flat on its face in practice and this is no exception.

Take my current situation for example, the reason I've been stricken with the need to create this forum post. You have grinded out weapons and warframe to get to MR28 the test has come around. You've had to wait for foundry item after foundry item. All real time waiting periods. Some for a minimum of 12 hours, others upwards of 84 hours to complete a Warframe. Days, Weeks, Months of grinding, and having practiced the test you're confident that the time has FINALLY come. You take the test, you get half way through it. 5 more kills..... Bam, the power cuts out. Because the wind and rain knocked over a tree a mile up the road. No problem I thought, it's a connection loss, right? 

"You can take this test again in 23h 55m."

😧

Words cannot describe to you the level of restraint it is taking not to go full Rant Mode on this thread, instead opting to attempt a productive conversation as to why this is a F*****g Problem. My heart truly goes out to everyone who has been locked in the kneeling position unable to move, clipped through the map after using transference, or any other bug you can think of. You DE, are punishing your players for something that is not only out of their control. But often times YOUR FAULT. Add this to the list of unacceptable standards and it needs to be revised. 

NOTES

-This is not a debate as to the importance of Mastery Rank, it's important enough to me and others.

-24 Hours may not seem like a long time in comparison to others, but when youre grown with a job and other priorities you may not be able to play again for a week. Which makes the wait even more sadistic and unnecessary. 

-This issue can be fixed by editing a single line of code, simpling reducing the timer value to 12 if not 0.

Hard disagree.

As someone who has failed plenty of mastery tests over the years I believe the 24 hour penalty is perfectly fine. If you are not consistently able to pass your MR test then you should continue practicing until you are. They added the ability to practice tests for a reason. 

Losing power or internet connection is too bad but your life won't end simply because you have to wait a day to take the test again.

1 minute ago, Leqesai said:

Exactly

the mastery rank 30 test were pretty damn fun. i tried some premade builds and failed and on the third try i made it and it feelt so rewarding. and part of that were that it were a multi day project with the wait and testing.

I think the waiting period creates real stakes on the challenge, so overall it's a good thing. It wouldn't feel as good to finally beat a challenge if you just ran it 10 times in a row, because there's no real consequences for failing. Even considering the fact that you can practice as much as you want until you can do the challenge blindfolded, it's a different feeling to win the real thing. We don't really have many exciting milestones in Warframe other than MR challenges, and maybe finishing Quests, so it's important to maintain what we have.

It sucks that your power went out, but if DE fixed all of the ways that a blackout can affect your game, then that's opening up just as many ways to exploit it. Challenge isn't going so well? Just yank your Ethernet plug, now you've got a free second try. Exploits like that aren't healthy for the game.

I forgot how full if masochists this community is. Basically if something bad happens to you, oh well. Tuff luck, kiddo. 

No connection error, no bug detection, no nothing, forget everyone who this has ever happened to over the years. 

Nobody seems to think it's a problem, Until it happens to you... 🤔 

56 minutes ago, (PSN)KhaosWolf94 said:

Bam, the power cuts out. Because the wind and rain knocked over a tree a mile up the road. No problem I thought, it's a connection loss, right? 

You DE, are punishing your players for something that is not only out of their control. But often times YOUR FAULT.

Are you suggesting DE are controlling the weather to intentionally interrupt your Rank up attempt?  🤔

58 minutes ago, (PSN)KhaosWolf94 said:

-24 Hours may not seem like a long time in comparison to others, but when youre grown with a job and other priorities you may not be able to play again for a week. Which makes the wait even more sadistic and unnecessary. 

-This issue can be fixed by editing a single line of code, simpling reducing the timer value to 12 if not 0.

If you are a grown up with a job etc. who only gets to play once a week, I doubt reducing it to 12 hours will help.  At that point any lock out more than an hour is likely as good as a 7 day lock out since you wont be playing again anyway.

46 minutes ago, Oggyswe said:

the mastery rank 30 test were pretty damn fun. i tried some premade builds and failed and on the third try i made it and it feelt so rewarding. and part of that were that it were a multi day project with the wait and testing.

Same.  I ran a few practices until I had a build I felt confident I'd be able to complete it with but even after that it took a few tries to do it and it felt great when I did.  If there was no lock out then the practice option would be pointless and you might as well just run the test and the first successful practice would be it done instead of just ready to move to the real thing.

32 minutes ago, (PSN)KhaosWolf94 said:

I forgot how full if masochists this community is. Basically if something bad happens to you, oh well. Tuff luck, kiddo.

People disagree so there must be something wrong with them, huh?  You're never going to win people over to your side of a discussion like that.

33 minutes ago, (PSN)KhaosWolf94 said:

Nobody seems to think it's a problem, Until it happens to you... 🤔 

Around the time I was doing the Rank 9 or 10 test there was a bug that meant that on trying to start the test the game would go from a loading screen to a black screen with over 6000fps and then straight to the mission failed screen and being locked out for 24 hours.  Back then there was no practice option either.  So I know crazy things can happen beyond my control and it can be frustrating but ultimately I will be able to try again later, unless something happens that prevents me from ever trying again but then I'd have more serious concerns than completing milestones in a game.

59 minutes ago, Katinka said:

Are you suggesting DE are controlling the weather to intentionally interrupt your Rank up attempt?  🤔

I definitely said "in most cases." If they can add a network error detection system to retrieve your items from a mission then they can implement the same system 2 any aspect of the game that would potentially punish you for something that's out of your control. You know what I meant and to suggest anything else is disingenuous and only shows either immaturity or lack of intelligence. 

I never said DE could control the weather. That's rediculous and you know full well that's not what I meant. I quoted multiple examples apart from. Mine that are under DE's full control. These forums are riddled with people who'll defend DE tooth and nail over even the most arbitrary topics as if they can't improve upon this already "Perfect" Game. So I mock them, yes. Like you are taking my quote out of context. I'm aware I have a minority opinion. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong either. If I could roll my eyes any further they'd fall from the back of my head. 

A 12 hour lockout wouldn't solve MY issue but i am not the only one it would affect. It would benifit others by making the wait less grueling. 

I would like a removal of the system entirely as I feel after waiting for all the items to finish building is long enough a wait as is. But a revision of the system would be a good compromise, even a reduction would be welcomed. But when you're punished for something out of your control it is immeasurably frustrating and the solution is entirely within DE's control. 

A better solution would be to complete some task before taking the test, like a tax, a mission, crafting a key, something that takes time but requires some effort. Everyone talks about the accomplishment they feel when they get to mr-30, but nobody ever said they felt accomplished because they had to wait a 24-hour. Or they were so excited to wait a full day before taking the test again. I don't see any of that. The sense of accomplishment comes from climbing to the top of the ranks mastering all of the weapons in the game a sense of completion. The 24-hour wait because of a disconnection or a bug is unfair. 

I'm not saying we should remove it for failing the test I haven't failed, but punishing those people for having something happen out of their control is unfair and infuriating. Yet leave it to the comment white nights to take my rent out of context take snippets of my post and twist them when I clearly meant something else. Is exactly what I expect and I will absolutely mock you for it. 

I once met a wise man in a mall escalator. He was directly behind me and my family, and I figured I'd step to the side, let him pass. People in malls can be busy. I gave him look and a smile, a motion to let him pass.

The man smiled back, didn't move an inch, and he told me a sentence I still remember every single day:

"Ever since I got kids, I had to learn to just... let my shoulders sink."

MR28 isn't going anywhere. Sink your shoulders, you'll feel less tension.

• 2 weeks later...

Just passed MR29...
Point being I have over 6,000 hrs of play time
I have had my share of bugs, computer probs etc.
24 hours is not unfair ..
I also have been peeved because I failed MR tests ..
I waited like everyone else. Practiced if I had time.
A few times I failed it again, crap happens.
Redo the test or stay at your current rank.
Complaining does not give affinity. 🤐

Good Hunting

On 2021-03-01 at 7:01 PM, Jealously_kills said:

Complaining does not give affinity. 🤐

Good Hunting

If a disconnection from mission can be detected to secure mission rewards. (like the ordis messages telling you he "found" lost mission items) 

They can implement a similar system for Mastery Tests. I didn't fail, if I did, I agree about having to wait as a penalty. But that's not to root of the issue. Which people are blatently seeming ignoring. 

Archived