Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What makes someone a veteran at this game?

(XBOX)The Neko Otaku

Question that's been bothering me the last few days. 

What makes me a veteran at this game?

I know I'm definitely a vet at this game but what is it that qualifies me? Is it my 7377 hours of play time? Me being the highest current MR? Owning 1 version of every weapon? Being around since whatever update brought mesa? 

What makes a person a vet?

According to some, its the amount of Mastery Rank.

Others, its the time played, this can range from 60 to 1000 hours, depends on who asks.

Others think its about how much you know the mechanics of the game.

I, in particular, think its based on how much paranoia, complains and general salty attitude they have on the forums.

Because I know that War Veterans are totally jaded, cynical and shellshocked based on their experiences, grumpy, paranoid (thinking someone from the other side is out to get them), dreaming of "better days", jump the gun at every error as if its a personal attack. Why wouldnt here be the same?

24 minutes ago, (XBOX)The Neko Otaku said:

I know I'm definitely a vet at this game but what is it that qualifies me? Is it my 7377 hours of play time? Me being the highest current MR? Owning 1 version of every weapon? Being around since whatever update brought mesa? 

When you dont pay attention to how much plat u can get from something but how much you will enjoy doing it and if u even want to

Just now, (XBOX)The Neko Otaku said:

Things like Steam/In-game time or MR dont make someone a Veteran, because i know a lot of people with lots of game time and/or high MR and still come asking me for some basics.

What makes someone a Veteran is their overall experience and knowledge in the game. Time with Knowledge is Experience, Time without Knowledge is just wasted Time.

52 minutes ago, (XBOX)The Neko Otaku said:

I think the bigger question is why does it matter?

This has been asked before and I'll give the same answer I gave back then. While the hours played is a fairly reliable indicator of a player likely being a veteran it's not a definitive thing. MR doesn't matter, how much plat you have, how many resources, how many weapons you grinded, forma'd etc doesn't matter, anyone can sit in Hydron, run Adaro, ESO, etc and copy a good players build. NO, what makes a person a veteran is simple. A veteran can adjust and adapt his arsenal to ANY content. Do you find yourself checking out youtube, asking other clan mates or searching on this forum or reddit to beat new content or some of the existing content? You're not a veteran. I don't care if you have 20K hours in game, you're not a veteran. If you require help to beat content, any content... you're not a veteran. A veteran is determined by a players knowledge of the games mechanics, their own available gear and their ability to interpret and theory craft to beat said obstacles. Just look at the amount of high MR players asking for advice to beat Steel Path bosses, there's a good example of a high hours player that simply isn't a veteran. Chances are those players are used to running 1, maybe 2 frames and a couple of meta weapons and when it stops working, they're all out of ideas. Kind've like the players with no clue once Khora's LoS was broken and no longer simply lets them afk doing endgame damage.

3 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

This has been asked before and I'll give the same answer I gave back then. While the hours played is a fairly reliable indicator of a player likely being a veteran it's not a definitive thing. MR doesn't matter, how much plat you have, how many resources, how many weapons you grinded, forma'd etc doesn't matter, anyone can sit in Hydron, run Adaro, ESO, etc and copy a good players build. NO, what makes a person a veteran is simple. A veteran can adjust and adapt his arsenal to ANY content. Do you find yourself checking out youtube, asking other clan mates or searching on this forum or reddit to beat new content or some of the existing content? You're not a veteran. I don't care if you have 20K hours in game, you're not a veteran. If you require help to beat content, any content... you're not a veteran. A veteran is determined by a players knowledge of the games mechanics, their own available gear and their ability to interpret and theory craft to beat said obstacles. Just look at the amount of high MR players asking for advice to beat Steel Path bosses, there's a good example of a high hours player that simply isn't a veteran. 

I think this is the best working definition. 

I think veteran has been one of the worst  and most sloppily defined things in the community over the years. A lot of people just define it as "someone who has been around a long time and played a lot", but I think "someone who can beat essentially anything in the game by adjusting their gear without outside advice" makes a lot more sense. 

4 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I think this is the best working definition. 

I think veteran has been one of the worst  and most sloppily defined things in the community over the years. A lot of people just define it as "someone who has been around a long time and played a lot", but I think "someone who can beat essentially anything in the game by adjusting their gear without outside advice" makes a lot more sense. 

Great sum up, I like that definition you made.

7 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

A veteran is determined by a players knowledge of the games mechanics, their own available gear and their ability to interpret and theory craft to beat said obstacles.

God damn, this, this is a great definition. 

5 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I think veteran has been one of the worst  and most sloppily defined things in the community over the years.

And it will continue to be unfortunately. 

21 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Great sum up, I like that definition you made.

Thank you. 

And for the record, I don't even consider myself there by my own definition. Not saying I can't do anything in the game if I applied myself, just there are certain things I haven't done yet. 

I am a returning veteran I guess, but too much was added while I was gone, and I am still playing catch up on too much. Maybe once I get around to doing tridolons and railjack I can call myself a proper veteran again, I came back to the game and plowed through all of Fortuna before completing the Quills lol (I'm like rank three and have just messed around with teralyst thus far). And I built my RJ, but still haven't gotten around to doing anything with it yet. 

4 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Thank you. 

And for the record, I don't even consider myself there by my own definition. Not saying I can't do anything in the game if I applied myself, just there are certain things I haven't done yet. 

I am a returning veteran I guess, but too much was added while I was gone, and I am still playing catch up on too much. Maybe once I get around to doing tridolons and railjack I can call myself a proper veteran again, I came back to the game and plowed through all of Fortuna before completing the Quills lol (I'm like rank three and have just messed around with teralyst thus far). And I built my RJ, but still haven't gotten around to doing anything with it yet. 

I mean it shouldn't impact how you play anyway, people play at their own pace and having to play catch up can impact a player's knowledge and gear. I'm a former super competitive player who's dialled it back a bit these days but I had a 2 year hiatus due to personal life right around when rivens were introduced and it took me a while to catch up and learn everything that I'd missed. I'm sure you'll do the same. 

This whole "veteran" thing is kinda stale.

You've been playing since beta cool. (ik plenty of ppl with the beta title but aint no nothin, or not everything)

You've got thousands of hours cool. (look around you, who does not have at least 1-3k hours)

You've got the highest rank in the game and spent 1-2k hours doing so, well it can be easily done with 500 or less.

If I am going to be honest here. I would say you would need something to reflect on why you should have the title of being a vet and also thought tbh there is not much to even do that in this game because legit nothing matters, MR, hours, gear, anyone can get that.

Knowledge would be the best way imo than saying "ive got 2k+ hours me a vet now" its... you got the whole squad laughin mate.

If you have knowledge of the game, about everything in the game or at least most of it, something that a new player and even players are are mr 20+ hundreds of hours maybe even a few thousands of hours then you can call yourself a vet. (bc there are ppl with high mr and even hours that cant seem to do some things and im like what fam)

Right now if you know how to do Profit Taker you just might have more knowledge in the game than anyone else who does not. Right now go load into a pub PT and try to do that, it is so god damn bad. 90% of the players do not have Chroma and if they do they most likely won't use their 4 ability at the end to gain 250k credits and not base 125k. If you see a Saryn in PT you know they know what they are doing, unless you realize in fact they do not. Saryn for PT is faster than chroma but you do not get extra credits because you do not have his 4.

Also you do not really need to know everything in the game, you do not to be a minmaxer or a meta player or sit here and know every formula that the game uses but if you know more than the basics and you know how things work and what they do and do not do then hey you could just be a vet who has played the game for a few years.

Sometimes you can be doing something for years but still be learning it or learn something knew.

Do I think I am a vet? Ah why worry about such a title when I could be farming more credits or ducats.

If i were to make a venn diagram with Knowledge of the game , time played and easy access to gear and resources a veteran would be an overlap between them.

1) Do you know how many forma and which mods you need to make the frame/weapon good (without external advice)?

2) Have you been around long enough to have multiple copies of dex weapons? 

3) Do you worry about the resource cost of crafting items?

4) Do you worry about not having the right gear for any content?

If answer to the first 2 is yes and the last 2 is no , you are most likely a veteran.

There will of course still be some exceptions, but i think its good enough.

Years plus enough playtime to match the years? I dunno.

Personally, I wish one of the two methods vet is used in Warframe would stop though. Entitlement vets are a major problem, equally as much as "Insta-vets". The entitled ones have overplayed the game to the point of it being a forced job instead of a game and no amount of content or breakthrough updates are going to change that. They need to knock it off with that BS.

On the other hand, the awesome vets are the ones that show new players the ropes, love jumping into and helping missions for fun, give constructive feedback while also understanding it is ultimately still DE's game and vision. Those are the vets I appreciate.

7 hours ago, (XBOX)The Neko Otaku said:

How long you’ve been playing for.

Archived