What makes someone a veteran at this game?

I thougt you're a veteran if you whine about everything in this game... Insults DE for each of their decisions, and have a hardcore stance on every single thing, ready to crush every noobs who even dare to question your opinion.

Edited by Soy77
  • Like 2

I consider a veteran a person who has played long enough to have a solid understanding of how the game works ie know: how to complete missions, how to acquire the necessary parts to build frames and weapons and above all else a solid understanding that not everyone is going to be as good as you THINK you are. 

13 hours ago, (XBOX)The Neko Otaku said:

Question that's been bothering me the last few days. 

What makes me a veteran at this game?

I know I'm definitely a vet at this game but what is it that qualifies me? Is it my 7377 hours of play time? Me being the highest current MR? Owning 1 version of every weapon? Being around since whatever update brought mesa? 

What makes a person a vet?

As someone with over 2K hours since 2014 (back when we still had a Stamina system and everyone was 'coptering), I'd say what makes a veteran isn't the amount of hours, or the MR (I'm on MR21), or the size of one's inventory.

It's when you stop asking questions about the now-obvious like "how do you get X" or "how does Y work". When you can play the game without checking the wiki every 5 minutes.

When you have completed the regular starchart. When you've carried an entire squad all by yourself. When you can actually answer a newbie's questions.

That's when I'd say you're a veteran.

Edited by o0Despair0o
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

This has been asked before and I'll give the same answer I gave back then. While the hours played is a fairly reliable indicator of a player likely being a veteran it's not a definitive thing. MR doesn't matter, how much plat you have, how many resources, how many weapons you grinded, forma'd etc doesn't matter, anyone can sit in Hydron, run Adaro, ESO, etc and copy a good players build. NO, what makes a person a veteran is simple. A veteran can adjust and adapt his arsenal to ANY content. Do you find yourself checking out youtube, asking other clan mates or searching on this forum or reddit to beat new content or some of the existing content? You're not a veteran. I don't care if you have 20K hours in game, you're not a veteran. If you require help to beat content, any content... you're not a veteran. A veteran is determined by a players knowledge of the games mechanics, their own available gear and their ability to interpret and theory craft to beat said obstacles.

Yeah, this is a really great answer. I do not consider myself a vet for these exact reasons.

And that is also one of the reasons I love this game so much. After a year of playing and over 500 hours logged in missions, there is still so much more for me to do and learn. The WF journey is awesome, IMO.

• Like 3

Someone who has been playing for 1.5 years (with breaks allowed during that time), every day for a minimum of 2 hours, is alright at the game, knows the mechanics, bugs, exploits AND knows and experienced the development history of WF (that means you've been reading the patch notes for 1.5 years and you formed your own opinions on the changes). That's what means to be a veteran imo.

• Like 1
vor 13 Stunden schrieb -CdG-Zilchy:

This has been asked before and I'll give the same answer I gave back then. While the hours played is a fairly reliable indicator of a player likely being a veteran it's not a definitive thing. MR doesn't matter, how much plat you have, how many resources, how many weapons you grinded, forma'd etc doesn't matter, anyone can sit in Hydron, run Adaro, ESO, etc and copy a good players build. NO, what makes a person a veteran is simple. A veteran can adjust and adapt his arsenal to ANY content. Do you find yourself checking out youtube, asking other clan mates or searching on this forum or reddit to beat new content or some of the existing content? You're not a veteran. I don't care if you have 20K hours in game, you're not a veteran. If you require help to beat content, any content... you're not a veteran. A veteran is determined by a players knowledge of the games mechanics, their own available gear and their ability to interpret and theory craft to beat said obstacles. Just look at the amount of high MR players asking for advice to beat Steel Path bosses, there's a good example of a high hours player that simply isn't a veteran. Chances are those players are used to running 1, maybe 2 frames and a couple of meta weapons and when it stops working, they're all out of ideas. Kind've like the players with no clue once Khora's LoS was broken and no longer simply lets them afk doing endgame damage.

I think that's a little bit too restrictive, with new things being added to the game and new combinations being discovered it's not very likely that any single person is discovering them all by themselves. Like with most things the more you learn, the more you realize there is still so much more left to learn. The important part to me understanding why something works or doesnt work. It would be very silly to be completely deaf to any outside ideas.

• Like 2

I suppose the simplest answer is:

when you're no longer surprised at anything;

update turned out buggy? no surprise. everyone using broken weapons? no surprise. introduce new enemies only to steamroll them with ease? no surprise. seeing people on the forum pedantically pi$$ and moan about the slightest of things? about as far away from a surprise as you can possibly get. you don't have to be one of the "hur dur everything sucks" crowd, you just need to be around for long enough, regardless of how many hours played or how much gear you have, and eventually you've seen and understand everything, and then I'd say you're a veteran.

that said, being a veteran is not necessarily a good thing, since DE prefers to cater to newer players instead. veterans are also the ones who tend to get thrown under the bus when changes occur that people don't like.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Drachnyn said:

I think that's a little bit too restrictive, with new things being added to the game and new combinations being discovered it's not very likely that any single person is discovering them all by themselves. Like with most things the more you learn, the more you realize there is still so much more left to learn. The important part to me understanding why something works or doesnt work. It would be very silly to be completely deaf to any outside ideas.

Disagree because new things being added does not impact on one's ability to use the current tools available to them to beat any new or existing content. On my clan discord as an example, any new mods, weapons or frames are examined and theorised on how they can be best used. Whenever new content comes out the best method of farming it is discussed and tested etc. Yes you can learn new things all the time but a solid knowledge of the mechanics of the game and the various synergies, interactions etc goes a very long way towards making sure you can breeze new content. Players who only know how to use a few frames and weapons will occassionally run into brick walls. This is the difference between a vet and a meta slave or average player googling his victory.

16 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

Because I know that War Veterans are totally jaded, cynical and shellshocked based on their experiences, grumpy, paranoid (thinking someone from the other side is out to get them), dreaming of "better days", jump the gun at every error as if its a personal attack. Why wouldnt here be the same?

Ugh, i hate those types of people the most in forums, Grand Central Stations of Positivity XD
If you wanna say or do something, at least make it be positive, especially criticism.

• Like 1

Being good makes you a veteran.  I just watched an MR28 Frost player drop their frost shield around the elevator on the Hydron/Helene defense map for a sortie.  The Defense target NEVER ONCE was in the shield the entire match.  In addition, they constantly slowed down EVERYTHING when I was trying to Speedva us through it.  In addition, he was using the Ignis Wraith, one of my most hated weapons to see someone use because it's a flashing red warning sign that the person using it has zero skill at actually killing anything and only knows how to wave their mouse around while holding a button down.  Being efficient, not dying, knowing how NOT to slow things down, that's how you become a veteran.  Some people are veterans after only a year, and some people never will be.

For the record, here's my short list of S#&$ter frames/weapons:
Frost (just bad in general, no one ever really needs the shield, and it's always more of a hindrance because the people using him don't understand how.  I have seen ONE good Frost player before, never again since.)
Saryn (Obviously for people who want to show off and have no real skill outside of pressing 4)
Mirage (Mostly Legerdemain users, same as Saryn players basically)
Ignis
Amprex (luckily I don't see this one much anymore)

Now sure, can a lot of frames be abused by bad players to 'seem' good?  Of course, any bad player can be annoying spamming 4's with mag or ember. Or holding up a defense by making it harder to kill enemies like wedging them in corners with Vauban's 4.  But a good player knows not to do this nonsense.
Personally, I love Vauban, but I know to place his 4 in higher spots so the enemies are drawn up and not down to into floor corners.  I also regularly toss his 3 over to places I know that enemies are likely to get stuck on to clear them out so it doesn't hinder other players.  Sadly, I NEVER see other Vauban players do this, they either spam their 4 and nothing else or likely don't use it much because they get yelled at.

Feel free to call me an A****** for expecting everyone to be at my level of awareness in a match, but by saying things like 'It's just a game' 'Don't take it so seriously' etc... you're just making excuses.  We all have brains, there's no reason yours shouldn't be able to work at the same level of awareness as mine. I'm as good as I am because I constantly challenge myself, I look at the easy path and realize that that way lies only indolence.  I avoid using frames and weapons that trivialize the gameplay because I know I'll quickly tire of it, I force myself to be good, and I AM good because of that.

Meanwhile an MR28 player doesn't even know how to play a defense sortie, or even use their frame properly.  And when I called them out their only defense was 'hurr, 45% damage' as they pointlessly walked around waving their flamethrower around.

Now cue all the Saryn and Ignis users getting all bent out of shape because they can't stand the truth.

Being a veteran of Warframe is best defined by your lived experience of the game. A WF vet has played the game across its many changes and retains memory of playing the game in its many updated forms. Age of account? Nah, you could've played the beta* once and come back two weeks ago. Hours played? Nah, coulda binged this game in a couple months. MR? Nah, coulda grinded on Hydron for a few weeks. As a veteran you have experience of the game over its many-year transformation.

As to what being a veteran actually implies... meh. Very often players will throw around "I'm a vet" to inflate their backseat-developer opinions or to flex on other players. And that is generally bunk. I recognize the perspective that long-haul experience in this game provides to players (having regularly played this game for 6 years myself), but imo veteranship doesn't make anyone a better WF player or design guru by default. So don't pay a "veteran" much mind if they're trying to elevate themselves with the self-given title.

Edited by SenorClipClop
*Edit: the closed beta
  • Like 3

If you understand the mechanics, that's what makes the player a Veteran.

Obviously the game has many, trading, eidolons, many different objectives, profit taker,.....

Understanding all of those is rare, some players call themselves veterans but still strugle with modding (ask which riven is better for them, how to build,....), some struggle with trading (don't know the free market, engage in lectures with other traders), may confuse primary objectives with secondary ones (aka trading a fight with stalker and negleting the primary objective, potentially resulting in a fail, in an actual fail or the mission becomes as if it failed, because the player/team failed, regardless of the mission complete screen.)

6 hours ago, Genitive said:

You're a veteran when you learn to post feedback threads in the feedback section.

Also, you're a veteran when you fix this damn door.

• Like 1