Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What makes someone a veteran at this game?

(XBOX)The Neko Otaku

19 hours ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

This has been asked before and I'll give the same answer I gave back then. While the hours played is a fairly reliable indicator of a player likely being a veteran it's not a definitive thing. MR doesn't matter, how much plat you have, how many resources, how many weapons you grinded, forma'd etc doesn't matter, anyone can sit in Hydron, run Adaro, ESO, etc and copy a good players build. NO, what makes a person a veteran is simple. A veteran can adjust and adapt his arsenal to ANY content. Do you find yourself checking out youtube, asking other clan mates or searching on this forum or reddit to beat new content or some of the existing content? You're not a veteran. I don't care if you have 20K hours in game, you're not a veteran. If you require help to beat content, any content... you're not a veteran. A veteran is determined by a players knowledge of the games mechanics, their own available gear and their ability to interpret and theory craft to beat said obstacles. Just look at the amount of high MR players asking for advice to beat Steel Path bosses, there's a good example of a high hours player that simply isn't a veteran. Chances are those players are used to running 1, maybe 2 frames and a couple of meta weapons and when it stops working, they're all out of ideas. Kind've like the players with no clue once Khora's LoS was broken and no longer simply lets them afk doing endgame damage.

This is pretty much spot on. Unfortunately though, the vast majority of the game is now about not requiring any real depth of knowledge, and usage stats just showcase how reinforced this is. I was not surprised, but very disappointed when I saw Inaros and Wukong very high up on Warframe usage.

Great definition regardless @-CdG-Zilchy

5 hours ago, Voltage said:

This is pretty much spot on. Unfortunately though, the vast majority of the game is now about not requiring any real depth of knowledge, and usage stats just showcase how reinforced this is. I was not surprised, but very disappointed when I saw Inaros and Wukong very high up on Warframe usage.

Great definition regardless @-CdG-Zilchy

Cheers mate and I agree, hell even the last event was hardly ground breaking for tactics. A sad thing really, I always enjoyed the theory crafting side of the game back in the day.

Does smashing your face into something until you win and being a suboptimal bulldozer anyway count as being a veteran?

Cause that's pretty much what I do, if it doesn't work then do it till it does has been my MO for a long time in this and other games.

I'd suggest it's something like, having a deep understanding, and application of the math that underpin the meta strategies. And, perhaps most importantly, being able to communicate in a respectful manner. Also, being able to play as part of a squad.

Knowing what the meta is, why it's the meta, knowing when it's important, and when it's not. Being able to teach other people is the sign of a true professional. 

Honestly...(and many will probably disagree with me)

It's going to be your knowledge and natural skill at the game.

Do you know how to mod? How do control an Archwing? How to K-Drive through an army? How to solo Railjack without any stress? How to farm any item without pulling your teeth out?

But most importantly....how to deal with literally any situation?

I considered myself a Veteran once I realized that no matter what my loadout was. I could complete the mission/task.

MR? Means nothing.

Playtime? Nothing.

Rare items? Nothing.

The real truth is......you'll know when you truly are a veteran.

15 hours ago, Drachnyn said:

I think that's a little bit too restrictive, with new things being added to the game and new combinations being discovered it's not very likely that any single person is discovering them all by themselves. Like with most things the more you learn, the more you realize there is still so much more left to learn. The important part to me understanding why something works or doesnt work. It would be very silly to be completely deaf to any outside ideas.

Outside ideas are fine but I think he's correct that a vet shouldn't have to reference anything anymore, new or old. If new content has you stomped, then congrats, there's a challenge. Game time!!

In my opinion veteran that player who plays for long time, know the mechanics of the game also played other games from a long time. For example my brother plays video games roughly 27-29 year by now he is 38. He can be called veteran I am also plays games from long time and I started this game almost at the beginning. Still no have so much hour because I do play other games, doing life thingies also make breaks time to time. I mostly know the game mechanics but there is stuffs in game what never touched or just read on wiki. It is usually measured with the time investment. A veteran can be anyone who played long but not know fully the game but because started long ago it can be called veteran.

In my opinion a veteran is someone with a well-rounded arsenal, but most importantly also has the knowledge on how to wield said arsenal efficiently. I might also point out that well-rounded doesn't necessarily require having a high MR. This is someone that knows that there is a time and place for certain frames, abilities, and weapons while at the same time be able to finish a mission anyway regardless of what they brought into the mission.

For example, just because you can use all your abilities doesn't necessarily mean you should use them all under certain circumstances. Like using an ability that slows all the adds down unnecessarily in an easy defense mission and making the mission take much longer for no real reason. Or, vice versa, speed buffing the adds when you notice your team doesn't have survival mods equipped on fresh warframes and keep needing to be rezzed back up - I feel like a veteran would know and understand this. The truth to the matter is MR is not indicative of veteran status and in fact I've been noticing a startling number of high MR players doing rookie mistakes lately.

Basically, it's the knowledge of how the game functions through their time of playing the game that defines a veteran. In the context of Warframe, anyway.

Serious answer: Sadly, nothing. People here will attempt to invalidate any possible metric or milestone on the grounds that it can be cheesed.

You reached MR25 (Not even 30)? That's just a Hydron grind. It means nothing.

You have played 2000 hours? That's just survival and Hydron. It means nothing.

You have completed the Steel Path? You can be taxied. It means nothing.

You have played for so long that you unlocked the Lodestar Armor? You can just log in for the daily tribute and do nothing. It means nothing.

For me, personally, anyone who has consistently played for at last 2 years and have devoted at least 1000 hours are veterans even if they are not that skilled or know that much about the ins and outs, because in general terms, being a veteran is a measurement of participation and seniority.

On 2021-02-19 at 10:28 AM, _R_o_g_u_e_ said:

QFT?

quote for truth... man old chat abbreviations are dead apparently XD

On 2021-02-19 at 9:24 PM, TomCruisesSon said:

Being able to carry a group of noobs through any level on the star chart with no issues.

or carry them trough any sp mission with only excal ;p

The way I see it, the best way to tell is through actions. It's not a case of any statistics or variables, because those are at best indicators. If you have everything, you've probably played through most of the content. But you could have purchased a bunch of it, or maybe you don't understand why the things you do work.

Having a founders pack? They could have put the game down for years and be totally unfamiliar with the current landscape.

Having a high playtime? Possibly the closest, but even then, the points for point 1 do apply still. Or maybe you primarily used Warframe as a social platform, which I'm certainly not going to complain about (unless you're a region chat troll.)

Ultimately, in most cases, if somebody's using their 'Veteran' Status to wave around their importance, chances are they don't actually know what they're doing. It's the same way that people who trash talk tend to suck at games. If somebody in game is using their 'veteran' status to back up why you should play a certain way, then they're probably little more than a playground bully who never grew up. If they're using it to justify their opinion online, chances are they can't justify it based on evidence. Simply put, the best way to identify a Veteran is to not look for people who'd call themselves a Veteran.

Of course, if you pressed the question, I'd probably consider myself a Veteran, so by my own logic, I'm probably not the person to ask about it.

This is a long way to say "being a Veteran doesn't matter".

Archived