Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Problem with the New Year Bundles

General_Durandal

3 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

There's some truth in that...

That said, I'm as hard pressed to understand why DE wouldn't want to sell those bundle items a la carte' given that there would definitely be players who would purchase multiples of those kitties for plat as I am hard-pressed to understand why players in SC fork over the insane amounts they are frequently prone to with a straight face on what is truly only a half-finished game with no actual sustainable revenue path at launch.

I guess it takes all kinds...

I have no direct experience, personally, how the money works in game development.

However, there is always, always a 'price point' at which the entire act of selling something, even a virtual item or set of virtual items, becomes an actual monetary loss. Think of things like the price they have to give the CC company per transaction, etc. Sure, the virtual item is 'finished' and we are replicating it, but even the act of replication, no matter how small, and the dataset to hold who has what, etc., all have a price tag. More transaction per person costs the company more money and means less profit per transaction. It adds up at scale.

As for the whales of the world, IME/IMO, it's all about how one values entertainment. The rich have always been patrons of the arts, or we would not have much Art.

I play games with the basic formula of entertainment per hour. if it costs less than it costs to rent a movie per hour, then it's reasonable to me. GaaS games blow that out of the water, the price per hour of entertainment makes them almost free from my POV for entertainment dollars. So yeah, I'll but a game, fiddle with if for a few hours and if I never play it again, I don't feel cheated provided I got my $2-$4/per hour...but I also research games before buying as well.

I give more to game companies I like because I know there are people involved that made those cools things and I want them to be able to pay the bills and have some left over for their own fun. They fulfill many of my childhood dreams for me to play in their virtual worlds. I am happy to pay them over taking them to task as if they are my child.

1 hour ago, Padre_Akais said:

There's some truth in that...

That said, I'm as hard pressed to understand why DE wouldn't want to sell those bundle items a la carte' given that there would definitely be players who would purchase multiples of those kitties for plat as I am hard-pressed to understand why players in SC fork over the insane amounts they are frequently prone to with a straight face on what is truly only a half-finished game with no actual sustainable revenue path at launch.

I guess it takes all kinds...

Bringing up Star citizen further illustrates how much WF players take DE for granted. 

SC had every right to sell ships for 100s of dollars in an unfinished game, yet DE is "scummy" for selling a gold reskin of a ship decoration for 400p? A currency you can earn through trading? 

Get some perspective people. If this is a slippery slope, then DE so has a looooooong away to slide before you can genuinely consider them scummy in any way. 

Just now, Hypernaut1 said:

Spoon... Has anyone here bought the bundle???

I wasn't going to, but maybe I will just to flex🤣

I bought all three of the limited ones if that's what you are talking about...the little cats are already adorning my ship.

This is the first OP on the subject that highlights the actual issue, that the decorations arent sold seperately. They could have had the bundles and the decoration sold seperately at the same time since the decos arent things that hurt to have plenty off, that would have solved the whole issue.

1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Bringing up Star citizen further illustrates how much WF players take DE for granted. 

SC had every right to sell ships for 100s of dollars in an unfinished game, yet DE is "scummy" for selling a gold reskin of a ship decoration for 400p? A currency you can earn through trading? 

Get some perspective people. If this is a slippery slope, then DE so has a looooooong away to slide before you can genuinely consider them scummy in any way. 

It's like popcorn... Some kernels pop and some just don't.

I plugged money into both groups early on and Warframe and DE definitely panned out.

SC? It might eventually— It's a beautiful game that's alot like playing in the most elaborate Rube Goldberg machine... But unless the game figures out how to fully launch and turn a profit when the fear of losing ships you worked for despite the odds is gone then it won't turn a profit long-term.

Both offered a promise and I credit DE for working to make good on the one they made at the highest possible speed.

But for every Warframe there's always going to be 2 or 3 Star Citizen's imo.

I will say though that DE creating an environment where their premium currency is tradeable was ingenious long-term even if it did embolden the more entitled as well.

this is usually about as close as DE ever get to doing something that could be taken as "questionable": make no mistake, like any company they always like to test the waters occasionally to see what they can and can't get away with. if they've seen any of the feedback regarding these bundles they'll likely back off and not push for bundles like these again.

13 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

this is usually about as close as DE ever get to doing something that could be taken as "questionable": make no mistake, like any company they always like to test the waters occasionally to see what they can and can't get away with. if they've seen any of the feedback regarding these bundles they'll likely back off and not push for bundles like these again.

The false assumption is that we're going to strong-arm them to offer the same for cheaper. No. We just get less. We just don't get that bonus riven to go along with our purchases. We just don't get effort put into certain things if they fear that they can't monetize it without backlash. 

Clearly they created the kat as a plat sink. If people are that much against a simple plat sink, then they're just not going to waste time 3d modeling a figure. 

Conversely, if this is overwhelmingly successful, then maybe there's motivation for more cool holiday collectibles with gold skin premium versions. 

7 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Lol. now you're a financial consultant? DE is losing money because they don't want to give away a gold reskin of a luck Kavat? 

Give away? I want to *buy* them. With *money*. Many others people want to *buy* a bunch of them. With *money*.

But I'm not going to waste my money on bundles full of filler, and others couldn't buy multiple even if they wanted to because you can't buy them multiple times. idk why that's so hard to understand?

13 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

We just have to hope that instead of opting for just bundles they offer something a la carte' as well without the need for a Jim Sterling to call them out in public on the matter.

We just have to hope that instead of opting for just bundles they offer something a la carte' as well without the need for a Jim Sterling to call them out in public on the matter.

It would be nice for it to be a la carté, but maybe the entire point of putting the item in a bundle is for it to be a big enough plat sink to be worth the effort. 

On 2021-02-20 at 4:29 AM, Zimzala said:

And I think the idea you present reeks of corporation phobia.

If you don't like what a game company does, that's fine, don't give them any money.

If you cannot afford to play a game? How is that the game makers fault? They have a profit margin their investors expect, that's how companies that produce things work. If you cannot afford full retail, wait for a sale that's how it works.

We are not talking about utilities, life-services, food, etc., we are talking about Entertainment. Nothing more. I cannot afford to play golf at a private club, but I don't go bashing their prices, for example. I cannot afford to rent out an entire theatre like some people have done during the pandemic, but I have not asked for them to make it cheaper for me.

The 'goodwill' you speak of goes both ways, IMO/IME as well. Why should any of these companies make anything for the ranting gamers of the world, who, IME, at scale, are terrible customers?

It has nothing to do with poverty, I totally agree, it has to do with the entitled attitudes of gamers that think they deserver to be given these things.

This has gamers mad because they think a game company 'makes too much money' and then they call the game company greedy, when their own greed to acquire things they cannot is driving the bus.

Well today's  $30 cat bundle is tomorrows $ 200 weapon skin. 

Warframe  brands it self as been fare free to play and better then the greedy companys trying to milk their players. .   

Even mocking them in devstreams. .   Just saying if you don't like it don't buy it , you greedy cry baby's, now shut up  is missing the point   ... .Warframe is serpose to be ""  ninjas play free"" not " if you can't pay, you can't complain "

7 hours ago, (PSN)SolarPhantom82 said:

Well today's  $30 cat bundle is tomorrows $ 200 weapon skin. 

Warframe  brands it self as been fare free to play and better then the greedy companys trying to milk their players. .   

Even mocking them in devstreams. .   Just saying if you don't like it don't buy it , you greedy cry baby's, now shut up  is missing the point   ... .Warframe is serpose to be ""  ninjas play free"" not " if you can't pay, you can't complain "

And none of these things prevent you from playing for free.

None of them.

If you think the company is milking consumers, then don't support them.

That's on you as a consumer.

Really. If you thin a company is doing something nefarious, then why are you supporting them by playing the game?

If you think this, why have you not reported them to government authorities?

Hm?

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Zimzala:

If you think this, why have you not reported them to government authorities?

Hm?

If you think you can only criticize people when they do something illegal, why are you criticizing people here? Do you think it's illegal to criticize a company?

1 minute ago, Krankbert said:

If you think you can only criticize people when they do something illegal, why are you criticizing people here? Do you think it's illegal to criticize a company?

Not at all.

But if you think a company is doing something anti-consumer, then you should report that company to the proper authorities, right?

It takes only a little more time to fill out a web form than it does to respond on a forum thread, IME.

This is someone unhappy about a price tag conflating that into the company acting anti-consumer.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Zimzala:

Not at all.

But if you think a company is doing something anti-consumer, then you should report that company to the proper authorities, right?

If you don't think that you can only criticize people when they do something illegal, why do you keep bringing up that people should report the company to the proper authorities? Surely you understand that there's no point in reporting someone to the authorities if what they did isn't illegal.

14 hours ago, (PSN)SolarPhantom82 said:

Just saying if you don't like it don't buy it , you greedy cry baby's, now shut up  is missing the point   ... .Warframe is serpose to be ""  ninjas play free"" not " if you can't pay, you can't complain "

You speak of these sentiments like they are mutually exclusive of each other...

Ninja's can certainly "play free" and players have no excuse to "complain if they can't pay (plat) for something" at the same time.

Or are these Kitties are giving some type of buff in-game we don't know about?

Ninja's can certainly "play free" and players have no excuse to "complain if they can't pay (plat) for something" at the same time.

Its a buff to E-peen.

2 hours ago, Padre_Akais said:

People should paid for these bundles. They should paid for Prime Access to support the game. 

The argument is the price is to hight for what you are given..  

It's about value for your dollar. .

Thats all I'm saying. ..

14 hours ago, Zimzala said:

Really. If you thin a company is doing something nefarious, then why are you supporting them by playing the game?

Its not ether or, I do think the price of these bundles are nefarious so I’m speaking out as a customer...  I play the game because I love it...  I speak up because I love the game,    I also put my money where my months is ,, by buying every Prime Access when they come…  so I will call greed what it is... when I see it...   I dont think Prime Access is greedy . as its Paid to skip and training on the good will of the player....   

12 hours ago, (PSN)SolarPhantom82 said:

Its not ether or, I do think the price of these bundles are nefarious so I’m speaking out as a customer...  I play the game because I love it...  I speak up because I love the game,    I also put my money where my months is ,, by buying every Prime Access when they come…  so I will call greed what it is... when I see it...   I dont think Prime Access is greedy . as its Paid to skip and training on the good will of the player....   

Not implying it's 'either or'.

I am saying that not liking a price is fine, but accusing the game company of gouging consumers is not, that's an actual 'thing' in many places.

The force and attitudes gamers throw at game companies over price is as unbalanced as the combat in this game.

These constant refrains about the 'big old evil game companies stealing gamers lunches' is just odd to me, when I again, I don't see Honda buys trying to make Lamborghini change prices.

Just because one does not like a price, does not mean the game company is gouging players, it's just that simple.

IME, personally, in talking to and knowing gamers for about 40 years now, gamers make assumptions about prices that often have little to do with reality, like most consumers.

It's an old, tired refrain, IME. Sometimes, the recycled, endless hyperbole is just tiresome.

Archived