Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

150 Riven mod max capacity limit

-Pandemic-

2 hours ago, -Pandemic- said:

I really think the max purchasable capacity needs to be at least enough to own 1 riven for every weapon type..... some of us are collectors!

thats so brilliant 
I wanna see you when they add 10 new weapons or 40
when you come back here to say it should be more which would still make no sense

vor 19 Minuten schrieb (PSN)robotwars7:

there will never be enough Riven slots for the people that love them, that's just a fact; even if we had 999 Riven Slots people would still try for at least 2 Rivens for every weapon, plus a joke riven for some. 

The limit is completely arbitrary. It can be so high that effectively there's no limit at all. It could be two billion.

1 minute ago, Krankbert said:

Yes it is.

lets say DE increased the riven cap by 1. that doesn't sound like a lot, but thats 1 for every, single, player. 50 million+ players would need to be accounted for. we have no idea how much server space a riven takes, but I doubt 50 million rivens takes up any small amount

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Miser_able:

lets say DE increased the riven cap by 1. that doesn't sound like a lot, but thats 1 for every, single, player. 50 million+ players would need to be accounted for. we have no idea how much server space a riven takes, but I doubt 50 million rivens takes up any small amount

Server storage is cents per gigabyte per month at any cloud provider, they're selling the slots for a dollar and we absolutely have some idea of how much server space a riven takes.

IIRC the issue is that the data isn't stored and accessed very efficiently, so increasing server space won't address what seems like a load time issue. Why does a load time issue matter? My guess is that it is a console standard for one platform, so they just apply the same limit universally because they may--one day--be able to implement cross-platform saves.

I dunno that anyone has tried it, but I bet if you have 500 zaws/kitguns/pets, there will be similar loading issues. 

Gerade eben schrieb Miser_able:

how much.

A riven is a name, what weapon it belongs to, the values of the four stats, what the four stats are, the number of rerolls, the MR requirement, the polarity, the rank, what player it belongs to and some kind of unique identifier so you can tie it to builds. That's not a lot. We're talking in the hundreds of bytes.

4 minutes ago, Krankbert said:

A riven is a name, what weapon it belongs to, the values of the four stats, what the four stats are, the number of rerolls, the MR requirement, the polarity, the rank, what player it belongs to and some kind of unique identifier so you can tie it to builds. That's not a lot. We're talking in the hundreds of bytes.

thats what we think it is. for all we know it more, like what the previous/next rolls will be, stat values at every single level (for current roll, past rolls, future rolls.
plus theres stuff like dispo and if it applies to multiple weapons (such as the karak which has 3 dispos) it would take up 3x as much space as a normal riven.

Gerade eben schrieb Miser_able:

thats what we think it is. for all we know it more, like what the previous/next rolls will be, stat values at every single level (for current roll, past rolls, future rolls.
plus theres stuff like dispo and if it applies to multiple weapons (such as the karak which has 3 dispos) it would take up 3x as much space as a normal riven.

That's what we assume it is based on the assumption that whoever implemented it isn't completely incompetent. The stats scale linearly based on rank and disposition, so why would you not store just a base value and the rank. Calculating the effective values in the client when the riven is viewed or equipped is trivial. Disposition is an attribute of the weapon and identical for every riven, so it doesn't make any sense to store an identical value a million times with each individual riven. I can't think of a single reason what you would possibly need stats for past and future rolls for, so why store them.

If the technical reason they give isn't just an excuse made to sidestep discussion of some secret design decision they made, there's something wrong with how they're doing their backend, but I doubt it's as simple as storing loads of inane information nobody needs.

For a non-technical illustration of why something is going wrong here, compare how Path of Exile (an action-RPG with a similar business model) handles inventory. Path of Exile items are significantly more complex than Rivens with a lot more stats to keep track of, and they're selling space by the stash tab. A basic PoE stash tab holds about as many items as the entire maxed out Riven inventory, costs as much as a single Riven slot bundle, and they're willing to sell you however many you want. I accept that it's probably really a technical issue. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb (XBOX)Rez090:

Servers themselves ain't cheap.

Edit: and the physical space to house them as well.

Don't just blindly tell me that computer parts are expensive. Look at what DE charges for a riven slot and how much data that obligates them to store. I can't imagine that cost of servers or the physical space to house them is what prevents DE from selling storage space at a million dollars per gig.

1 hour ago, PublikDomain said:

Yet DE doesn't seem to care about buying as many weapons and Warframe slots as you like, and those are significantly heavier data-wise than Rivens.

Not really, since weapons and frames have set statistics, rivens do not have set statistics, data wise they are heavier.

Archived