Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solution for nightwave release issue

Cerikus

21 hours ago, Cerikus said:

- the update is getting closer, so DE record Nora voicelines that would tease the lore of the update and they release it on all platforms a month before the update

Ok....and what about how console updates are generally staggered by a month to two months compared to PC updates?
Take for instance Orphix Venom.  On PC it ran December 18 to Jan 18.  On console it ran Jan 21 to Feb 21, mostly because of the extra time it took to port the update to consoles and get it certified, as well as wanting to collect a few more patches to fix everything they could from the PC run.

Basically with the schedule you gave out in your post here is how things would play out:
PC would get the nightwave, it would go for a month then the new update would hit.
On console they would get the nightwave and then nothing would happen on their end
On PC the nightwave would be wrapping up and the event would be ending and we get the next nightwave to get us hyped for the next content update.
On console they would finally get the event....and then get a nightwave that has literally nothing to do with the event that just hit, or in some cases a new nightwave hits and then they finally get the event/update the last nightwave was about.

I mean just take this into account:

Scarlet spear nightwave: February - March
Deadlock protocol nightwave: April - June

On PC Scarlet Spear launched on March 24 and went to April 28.
On consoles it launched April 9 and when to May 14.
With your idea they would recieve the deadlock protocol nightwave and after deadlock protocol nightwave launched then they would finally get scarlet spear.

Sure on PC it would make sense; but it would just be a complete and utter mess on console.....and for literally no reason other than "B-but I want everything connected for PC and screw consoles!"

there are no episodes, just a play button that can be pushed to listen to some creepypasta

So basically turn every single nightwave into the intermission with nothing unique or special happening.....yay for even less reason to care about it at all.

Further in a later post you claim:

19 hours ago, Cerikus said:

- the story flavor is not there, because the episodes take up like 10% of the nightwave run time

And your solution to this is basically "How about we remove the entire story and feeling from nightwave by making it a one-off lore dump exposition!"

- put in cool rewards up to the rank 30, while some of those rewards should tease the upcoming update (there are bound to be new resources and the new requiem mod, so put some in there)

Oh yeah, how amazing would it be to get 500 of a resource that you can't use for 1+ months! (especially if you're on console which may not even have the resources coded in yet)  Such a great nightwave reward!  I can't wait to see that clogging up pretty much every single rank up and making me "excited" for when the nightwave releases only for me to have to grind through the event or a new syndicate to max rank before I can use the resources I was just handed............

Snark aside that would just be cluttering the nightwave rewards with useless junk.  People already complain about getting potatoes or forma or even exilus adapters from nightwave....and this would be even more of a reason to complain.

This would just muddy up the reward tables and make them suck even more.

And please tell me: How much time should DE divert to create these "cool" rewards that tease the update?

It IS easy, it CAN work and it doesn't have to be devintensive.

And you don't know what is hard or easy for them to handle unless you work in their environment....so please don't make baseless claims.  Especially since anything sounds nice and easy and simple on paper when you don't know anything that could possibly go wrong and throw a wrench in things.

In closing:
I'm going to have to back up the people that say that nightwave shouldn't be tied to mainline content, both for the reasons I listed above as well as the simple reason that it makes it easier for DE to eventually recycle nightwave and the events that happen in them (as DE has actually mentioned bringing back the wolf nightwave a few times).  If it was tied to mainline updates then that wouldn't work from any perspective.

My question is why does nightwave still exist. It was meant to replace alerts, clearly it has failed. This is not the first post on "how to fix nightwave" and it will not be the last. If i had to guess probably because DE keeps releaseing new stuff and never looks back at old stuff, take syndicates, invasions, sorties, arbitrations, archwing missions, and all the free roam content islands as examples.

9 hours ago, (NSW)BalticBarbarian said:

Currently, DE's history suggests that unfinished content tends to stay unfinished for quite a long time (just look at the Valis's third Orb - it's still taking a bath in a coolant lake). So I would be very much against any sort of system that puts them in a situation where they are incentivised to release more unfinished content (they do it often enough already!)

I understand what you are saying, but making system more tightly intertwined with each other is simply a bad practice from the point of view of software engineering. Delay do occasionally happen, and the more systems are dependent on each other, the more easily a little delay turns int a large one.

Don't get me wrong: I am very much against content islands and I do agree that DE could do with tying Warframe's systems together a lot more. I just don't think lore delivery is what needs to be merged. The way I see it, side stories do not take away from the main plot line - instead, they enrich the in-game universe.

You are right about all of that. I guess I am a dreamer. :D 
Even tho, I still belive that the systems can be done robustly enough, so it works. If we are talking about software, you are 100% right that you have to think ahead and not create a spaghetti code, but my idea was more of a preplanning and organization thing, rather than software thing. I think we both agree, that DE leave much to be desired in that area.

1 hour ago, Tsukinoki said:

Ok....and what about how console updates are generally staggered by a month to two months compared to PC updates?
Take for instance Orphix Venom.  On PC it ran December 18 to Jan 18.  On console it ran Jan 21 to Feb 21, mostly because of the extra time it took to port the update to consoles and get it certified, as well as wanting to collect a few more patches to fix everything they could from the PC run.

Basically with the schedule you gave out in your post here is how things would play out:
PC would get the nightwave, it would go for a month then the new update would hit.
On console they would get the nightwave and then nothing would happen on their end
On PC the nightwave would be wrapping up and the event would be ending and we get the next nightwave to get us hyped for the next content update.
On console they would finally get the event....and then get a nightwave that has literally nothing to do with the event that just hit, or in some cases a new nightwave hits and then they finally get the event/update the last nightwave was about.

I mean just take this into account:

On PC Scarlet Spear launched on March 24 and went to April 28.
On consoles it launched April 9 and when to May 14.
With your idea they would recieve the deadlock protocol nightwave and after deadlock protocol nightwave launched then they would finally get scarlet spear.

Sure on PC it would make sense; but it would just be a complete and utter mess on console.....and for literally no reason other than "B-but I want everything connected for PC and screw consoles!"

So basically turn every single nightwave into the intermission with nothing unique or special happening.....yay for even less reason to care about it at all.

Further in a later post you claim:

And your solution to this is basically "How about we remove the entire story and feeling from nightwave by making it a one-off lore dump exposition!"

Oh yeah, how amazing would it be to get 500 of a resource that you can't use for 1+ months! (especially if you're on console which may not even have the resources coded in yet)  Such a great nightwave reward!  I can't wait to see that clogging up pretty much every single rank up and making me "excited" for when the nightwave releases only for me to have to grind through the event or a new syndicate to max rank before I can use the resources I was just handed............

Snark aside that would just be cluttering the nightwave rewards with useless junk.  People already complain about getting potatoes or forma or even exilus adapters from nightwave....and this would be even more of a reason to complain.

This would just muddy up the reward tables and make them suck even more.

And please tell me: How much time should DE divert to create these "cool" rewards that tease the update?

And you don't know what is hard or easy for them to handle unless you work in their environment....so please don't make baseless claims.  Especially since anything sounds nice and easy and simple on paper when you don't know anything that could possibly go wrong and throw a wrench in things.

In closing:
I'm going to have to back up the people that say that nightwave shouldn't be tied to mainline content, both for the reasons I listed above as well as the simple reason that it makes it easier for DE to eventually recycle nightwave and the events that happen in them (as DE has actually mentioned bringing back the wolf nightwave a few times).  If it was tied to mainline updates then that wouldn't work from any perspective.

Yes you are right. And I see the problem in my thinking now.

I still believe that DE can do much better. I presented the idea, because I thought that it would allow DE to release the nightwave more often and have it on a schedule.
I guess most people are more realistic than me and already accepted, that we will never get things on time and that there will never be schedule. 
As I said in the post above. I am a dreamer :D 

Archived