Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

New pc player, any Advice?

Question

Just got my first pc this month. Ive taken to getting every gun i can before ranking up my mastery. And im gonna get every warframe before i get primes. Any advice/ things to look out for to ease me into the game. Also how to use the market. Thatd be great to know too

• Like 1

getting any frame before you get primes isnt really advisable. some frames are currently out there to be farmed, while their "regular" versions may take a long time to get, potentially causing you to miss out on the prime version by that restriction. (Ivara, and tomorrow Octavia too, come to mind)

Otherwise, solid plan to get to try everything before moving on. Trying every different basic type of weapon makes you find your preferred way to play based on your own experience. That's much more useful than asking someone else what they like.

For example, i really dont like shotguns in Warframe. Im a machinegun guy. Got a clanmate who s the exact opposite. just a matter of taste. if something isnt "meta" but works for you, dont let anyone tell you to not use it.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

Ive taken to getting every gun i can before ranking up my mastery.

Yeah, you're gonna burn through a good bit of Mastery fodder,
but make sure that's not the only thing you focus on, because that's a good way to achieve burnout actually.

As your amount of choices grows / MR reaches a decent number,
you can afford to be a little more selective and mostly go for stuff that at least somewhat interests you.

18 minutes ago, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

im gonna get every warframe before i get primes.

Hm, not sure that's the best way to do it, TBH.

Certain Primes are easier to farm than the regular variant (e.g. Ivara / Equinox Prime),
plus there's the whole vaulting business (Equinox is in fact next), so making sure you've got all the parts at least may cause less regrets ultimately.

24 minutes ago, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

Any advice/ things to look out for to ease me into the game.

Use your starter Plat on 1x Warframe and 2x Weapon Slots, join a Clan, maybe look up some beginner guides on Youtube or w/e.

Ask whenever you have questions, be it here or in-game, also bookmark the Wiki:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

• Like 2

I had actually bought the nidus starter pack and another 300 plat. I just had money laying around from tf 2 and csgo. 

I used that to buy loki volt and mag. I started with excaliber. 

I bought another 10 slots and as of rn

I have 7 rank 30 primaries

5 rank 30 secondaries

4 rank 30 melees

5 rank 30 frames

2 sentinals and a dog

take your time is the best advise I can give. this is coming from me who will some times only login to see if my forma is done (if it is build another), check syndicates missions, sortie, etc. and then may do a few missions before logging off and only relogging for my daily reward. also will help with what will eventually happen, burn out.

Edit:

Some things that i just remembered. idk where your at atm but best early game credit farming will be dark sectors then later down index. also if plat starts becoming an issue the best and easiest way is to sell prime junk.

Edited by killerKronos23
  • Like 1
52 minutes ago, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

Just got my first pc this month. Ive taken to getting every gun i can before ranking up my mastery. And im gonna get every warframe before i get primes. Any advice/ things to look out for to ease me into the game. Also how to use the market. Thatd be great to know too

23 minutes ago, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

I had actually bought the nidus starter pack and another 300 plat. I just had money laying around from tf 2 and csgo. 

I used that to buy loki volt and mag. I started with excaliber. 

I bought another 10 slots and as of rn

I have 7 rank 30 primaries

5 rank 30 secondaries

4 rank 30 melees

5 rank 30 frames

2 sentinals and a dog

21 minutes ago, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

Oh also im actually farming prime stuff too, for later. I have half of ivara prime. Atlas. Mesa. Etc. 

Slow down? lol

Honestly, just focus on opening the star chart. The left side of Earth, to Venus, to Mercury, then back to Earth and complete a bounty for Cetus to open up the right half of Earth.

You'll get blueprints/mods/etc for completing the junctions, defeating the world bosses, and just doing each mission node.

Excalibur, skana, lato, and either the mk1 braton or mk1 paris will get you far. Switch out the mk1 training weapons for their base one as soon as you can. The braton can be bought for credits while the paris needs nano spores to build. 

There's no rush. Most story and side missions require you to be MR5, and the tests to level your MR can only be completed every 24 hours.

Enjoy the weapons and warframes that you gain, figure out your playstyle, uncover those mod builds, and let them carry you through the game.

Edited by GrazeZeroLow
  • Like 2

Sounds like you're overthinking it.  This game, for all the apparent complexity, boils down to 3 priorities: 1) unlock the map 2) do quests 3) collect stuff.  It sounds like you're coming up with a complex plan for how you want to collect stuff, and really that's pointless.  Sure you might want to prioritize time restricted collecting while you can (i.e. vaulting primes, and events) but really, I think you'll have more fun keeping things mostly spontaneous.  And be aware, most stuff you collect will be junk (well, it does have value in being easy to get, easy mastery, and showing you what kinds of things you like), rank it for the mastery and throw it away.  Personally at early levels I feel like prime and otherwise upgraded or hard to get stuff is great for keepers.  I don't throw those away, so I can invest catalysts and forma on them if I think they'll carry me very far.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, killerKronos23 said:

take your time is the best advise I can give. this is coming from me who will some times only login to see if my forma is done (if it is build another), check syndicates missions, sortie, etc. and then may do a few missions before logging off and only relogging for my daily reward. also will help with what will eventually happen, burn out.

Edit:

Some things that i just remembered. idk where your at atm but best early game credit farming will be dark sectors then later down index. also if plat starts becoming an issue the best and easiest way is to sell prime 

Rn im on ceres, mars venus earth are done, just started archwing

Do not buy recources for platinum.

Save your Orokin Reactors and Orokin Catalysts for frames and weapons you know you won't replace.
More or less the same for Forma.

Wiki is friend. https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

Try not to do the open worlds out of order, start with Plains of Eidolon at least up untill it gives you the archwing launcher segment.

One day, you will have millions of credits and little to spend them on, until that day get these (the sooner the better):
Synthesis Scanner and it's Sol-Battery Widget (infinite scans)
Nutrio Incubator Upgrade Segment
Never have to spend credits on Scanners or DNA Stabilizers again.

• Like 1
vor 1 Stunde schrieb TheMuseOfTime-Kyle:

I'd advise you to not do that. You're going to hamstring your syndicate standing gain for no benefit. It would be better to advance MR as you're able and just level stuff along the way. I'd strongly advise against getting every Warframe before getting Primes. Are you aware that a number of regular warframes are actually harder to get than their Prime?

The big non-obvious points would be:

Look up prices on warframe.market before you trade.
Get a Syndicate. https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Syndicate#Faction_Syndicates
Don't spend plat in the market if what you're buying can be built or farmed. Don't buy guns, pets, warframes, credits or ressources.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Krankbert said:

I'd advise you to not do that. You're going to hamstring your syndicate standing gain for no benefit. It would be better to advance MR as you're able and just level stuff along the way. I'd strongly advise against getting every Warframe before getting Primes. Are you aware that a number of regular warframes are actually harder to get than their Prime?

The big non-obvious points would be:

Look up prices on warframe.market before you trade.
Get a Syndicate. https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Syndicate#Faction_Syndicates
Don't spend plat in the market if what you're buying can be built or farmed. Don't buy guns, pets, warframes, credits or ressources.

Already settled on the syndicates im working on. Steel meridian, cephalon suda, arbiters, i dont plan on buying frames guns or resources. Only slots and catalysts/reactors. And ya i know alot of frames are harder to get then their primes. I intend to play the game for a long time. Hence why im playing this way. Each weapon takes a while to lvl. So do frames. I work then play abit when i get home. Im in no rush and im fine with missing some content. Unless theres something i really want. In which case i could probably power through the system in a week tops

1 hour ago, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

Already settled on the syndicates im working on. Steel meridian, cephalon suda, arbiters, i dont plan on buying frames guns or resources. Only slots and catalysts/reactors. And ya i know alot of frames are harder to get then their primes. I intend to play the game for a long time. Hence why im playing this way. Each weapon takes a while to lvl. So do frames. I work then play abit when i get home. Im in no rush and im fine with missing some content. Unless theres something i really want. In which case i could probably power through the system in a week tops

If you're going to target those 3 Syndicates, might as well do Red Veil as well.  When in doubt, wear Steel Meridian.  Wear Cephalon Suda only when Red Veil's current reputation is more than 50% of what Cephalon Suda needs for the next level.  Never wear Red Veil or Arbiters of Hexis as they counteract each other.

• Like 1
Just now, MqToasty said:

If you're going to target those 3 Syndicates, might as well do Red Veil as well.  When in doubt, wear Steel Meridian.  Wear Cephalon Suda only when Red Veil's current reputation is more than 50% of what Cephalon Suda needs for the next level.  Never wear Red Veil or Arbiters of Hexis as they counteract each other.

So, steel, red, arbiters, but wear sudas? How would this work?

Just now, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

So, steel, red, arbiters, but wear sudas? How would this work?

When you wear Steel Meridian, Red Veil will gain 50%.  When you wear Cephalon Suda, Red Veil will lose 50%.  But by keeping Red Veil's current rep at least 50% above what Cephalon Suda needs to rank up, you are guaranteed that Red Veil never goes into the negative and you lose a Rank with them.  So, Steel Meridian will level the fastest, followed by Red Veil, then Cephalon Suda, then Arbiters of Hexis.  But all 4 can be leveled safely.

Coincidentally, this is my current pick.  My Arbiters of Hexis is stuck on Rank 3 because I'm missing a Tipedo Prime Handle, but the other 3 are all at Rank 5.  Now you do not *have* to do this and it does require a little bit of juggling, but access to a 4th syndicate's wares is always nice.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MqToasty said:

When you wear Steel Meridian, Red Veil will gain 50%.  When you wear Cephalon Suda, Red Veil will lose 50%.  But by keeping Red Veil's current rep at least 50% above what Cephalon Suda needs to rank up, you are guaranteed that Red Veil never goes into the negative and you lose a Rank with them.  So, Steel Meridian will level the fastest, followed by Red Veil, then Cephalon Suda, then Arbiters of Hexis.  But all 4 can be leveled safely.

Coincidentally, this is my current pick.  My Arbiters of Hexis is stuck on Rank 3 because I'm missing a Tipedo Prime Handle, but the other 3 are all at Rank 5.  Now you do not *have* to do this and it does require a little bit of juggling, but access to a 4th syndicate's wares is always nice.

Sounds useful, so, no reason not to do it. Ty

How would i juggle it though? Like what pattern?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

Sounds useful, so, no reason not to do it. Ty

How would i juggle it though? Like what pattern?

Steel Meridian is always safe, so no problems there.  But if you accidentally wear Cephalon Suda when Red Veil's current standing is too low, then you might unintentionally drop a rank with Red Veil.  You can always pay your way out of a negative rank, but it is unnecessary if you are careful.

So *only* switch to Cephalon Suda when Red Veil's current standing is more than 50% of what Cephalon Suda needs for the next rank, and remember to switch back to Steel Meridian whenever Red Veil comes close to 0 (or in my case, when Arbiters of Hexis is stuck and it's pointless to keep pushing Cephalon Suda + Arbiters of Hexis).

Never wear Red Veil or Arbiters of Hexis directly because they directly counteract each other.

• Like 1

I'm sure a lot of what I say is already in this thread/has already been said/ you've probably heard by now. Anways, I'll try to help.

What you should be doing:

Follow the story quests and focus on unlocking new planets.

Finding what weapons you like and messing around with mods. 

Learn the different damages is and how they work, check out Ashisogi Tenno on youtube, he's funny and will help you for most questions you have.

Just some tips: 

On every planet is a Boss mission, every boss drops warframe parts except maybe 2 bosses, you can check what parts they drop from the wiki.

Following the previous tip, the wiki is your saviour in this game, hit it up for most of your needs and info.

Try joining a clan, but don't make it a priority, clans open up a lot of stuff and make up a good bit of content.

Don't rush and take your time, play your first two planets on 'Solo' mode from the privacy section so you can give yourself time to explore without experienced players rushing you through missions. 

!Important! 

MK-1 Weapons are 'free' weapons that don't have to be crafted. They only cost credits(the usual currency) and are your go to weapons and help rank you up.

Relics can be opened for prime parts, which you can sell for Platinum, platinum is veryyyy important.

Edited by (XBOX)Apoll0 666
MK1 Weapons
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, (NSW)IronElemental said:

getting any frame before you get primes isnt really advisable. some frames are currently out there to be farmed, while their "regular" versions may take a long time to get, potentially causing you to miss out on the prime version by that restriction. (Ivara, and tomorrow Octavia too, come to mind)

2 hours ago, Krankbert said:

I'd strongly advise against getting every Warframe before getting Primes. Are you aware that a number of regular warframes are actually harder to get than their Prime?

Remember that you need access to Sedna and Pluto to farm those "easy" Prime frames (both to get the relics and to run the relics). Ivara is actually an outlier, because her regular farm is also locked behind Pluto-level missions. People give Equinox a lot of grief, but grinding a Uranus boss mission 20 times is for some people more accessible and less tedious than Axi relics

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

Any advice/ things to look out for to ease me into the game.

yep, get mods, rank mods, learn how to mod
that's it, that's the whole game
oh ye also there is fashion frame ye

2 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Remember that you need access to Sedna and Pluto to farm those "easy" Prime frames (both to get the relics and to run the relics).

You can get Axi Relics as soon as Jupiter (Disruption), and there can be Axi Fissures in the earlier (T1 / T2) branches of the Void.

32 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

You can get Axi Relics as soon as Jupiter (Disruption), and there can be Axi Fissures in the earlier (T1 / T2) branches of the Void.

Technically true, but genuine newbies who don't have gear to clear Pluto isn't going to be able to kill Demolysts without a taxi

• Like 1
9 hours ago, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

Ive taken to getting every gun i can before ranking up my mastery.

Just be aware of the fact that some story stuff has mastery rank requirements, try not to get to a point where you need to rank up to progress but refuse to because there are still unmastered weapons from your current rank.

And im gonna get every warframe before i get primes.

If you are *not* planning on getting a ton of warframe slots and ending up with "the collection" then i would recommend you cool your jets on this one. Later in the game you get access to a system that allows you to dispose of your old warframes in a way that then allows you to unlock a predetermined one of their abilities to then add that to any other warframe.
Just make sure that before you get to this point you are not building and disposing of any frames that are a pain to farm (harrow, for example), some frames you really don't want to farm twice.

Any advice/ things to look out for to ease me into the game. Also how to use the market. Thatd be great to know too

Mods will be your keys to success, don't neglect them! It's the difference between being a god and being a wet paper bag. There is a "tutorial" that will introduce modding to you, but it does not really go any further than that. For the early game i suggest you prioritise modding in this order:

• Base damage
    • Serration (rifles), Point Blank (shotguns), Hornet Strike (pistols), Pressure Point (melee)
  • Multishot if you are lucky enough to get it early
    • Split Chamber (rifles), Hells Chamber (shotguns), Barrel Diffusion (pistols)
  • Critical mods (if the weapon has a decent critical chance, if not, skip this)
  • Elemental mods (Heat, Electric, Toxin, Cold)

Different elements have different strengths and weaknesses, and can proc special effects, refer to this page on the wiki for a handy table of enemy weaknesses/resistances:
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Damage

If you are planning on using the market early on as a means for income, your best option will probably be prime parts/blueprints. It's not exactly a quick means of acquiring platinum, but in the early game you wont have many other options.

• Like 1
On 2021-02-22 at 2:45 PM, TheMuseOfTime-Kyle said:

no reason not to do it

check the wiki for multiple faction ranking.  Be advised, ranking more than 2 will be a loss of efficiency.  As in some standings gained will also be lost before you can even spend it.  3 is about the max that would still be worth it, 4 or 5 and you end up wasting so much standings you might as well not bother.  Worst case scenario, you trade for the augments and weapons of other factions if it's urgent.