Why Don't You Like Guns?

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

My only real  gripe was that, quite soon, it became apparent that there aren't actually a lot of handling or utility mods I'd actually want to use on most weapon builds, and in particular, and ultimately there isn't much utility as far as a weapon is concerned.

Yeah, that's one downside. There isn't a whole lot of immediate variety to be had with the existing mod pool since those kinds of mods don't tend to get developed. Like we still don't have a basic accuracy mod! And why would DE bother adding one with the current modding system when it would never be used? If it isn't damage it doesn't get attention. But while there would be gaps initially, it would give DE the freedom moving forward to make a whole slew of new and creative mods. Mods like accuracy, for example, or damage conversion (to help with building elemental combos). Or things like spread pattern mods for shotguns, exploding bullets, conditional mods like idk "faster reload when crouching", homing rounds, a mod that puts a shield in front of you when you aim, a mod that changes the trigger style from semi to burst. A mod for launchers that teleports your projectiles or adds cluster bombs or remote detonation. Go crazy, just look at Borderlands and steal some of those kinds of weapon ideas.

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

Corrupted mods

This gets into some of the little specifics, my thought was that most of these would be pretty easy to see and easy to iron out with some simple numbers tweaks. Some Corrupted mods are probably fine, like the fire rate ones, but others like Heavy Caliber would probably just need a damage buff. Maybe they could be set up like Split Chambers and Split Flights, where they can't be used alongside their related mod. Another example of a simple number tweak being crit and status chance. Right now there are some sort-of problems with how these mods scale since they rely heavily on base stats, and with them being limited in a build there wouldn't be much value in them compared to other options. So you'd change for example Point Strike from +150% CC to +50% flat CC. Any gun could equip it and become a crit weapon. Same for SC. These kinds of necessary changes would show up pretty quickly and, with a simpler modding economy, be a lot easier to just buff back into relevance.

ETA: And thanks for trying it out!

Edited by PublikDomain
  • Like 2
On 2021-02-23 at 11:19 PM, PublikDomain said:

Is this the right thread for that, though? Not really. But since you asked I will deliver. This concept is about a year old so it's a little dated in a few places, but it's still more or less my thoughts. ETA: After those changes individual weapons, mods, or abilities can be tweaked and balanced within a much simpler ecosystem.

Having looked through this proposal, I have to say it's probably the best I've seen so far for a mod rework. Having hard limitations on how many mods of a given type can go on your gear seems like the perfect way to have the player actually make choices with their build. Definitely going to be giving this a more thorough examination later.

• Like 1
On 2021-02-24 at 3:38 AM, Tesseract7777 said:

Because a certain segment of gamers naturally gravitate toward "the best" and designate everything else as total trash. 

The people who have this mindset are pretty much impossible to get out of that mindset, they are deadest on thinking that way and always will be. 

Doesn't matter if guns can do well enough to handle the pitfully scaling enemies even on Steel Path, if they aren't the best thing in the game, then it's beyblade to victory all day, every day. 

Unfortunately, such players are a big part of this game's player base. They don't want their brain dead tactic to be taken away. Don't believe me? Please count with your fingers how many players whined every time something gets nerfed.

• Like 1
On 2021-02-23 at 6:27 PM, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

DE has said the game will never be balanced around steel path. Steel path is just an extra mode for a few. The majority of all guns correctly modded per faction are perfectly viable for all star chart or sortie content. The mechanics of gun play are what’s needed to be updated; not damage.   

Since they intend for things to "never be balanced around SP" wouldnt that also mean that they should balance a whole lot more since currently we have balance nowhere? We are so far out of hand in power if the intent is to be balanced for the star chart. Everything there, including sorties, feels like you run earth mission the moment we have decent progress.

We also have Abritrations and Liches, which arent the same as Steel Path, so there is no excuse for them to not balance atleast those modes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Unfortunately, such players are a big part of this game's player base. They don't want their brain dead tactic to be taken away. Don't believe me? Please count with your fingers how many players whined every time something gets nerfed.

Yes, well, they also complain about enemies and bosses being immune to damage/powers/status/whatever, or when they simply can not use their WF abilities and/or weapons like against Nihil or in Orphix Venom. Of course, with the current state of WF this is the only possibility left.   

Or even better, complain about the grind. Makes sense of course that the only part that is left is the grind when the as-short-as-possible time between mission-start and mission-end is no longer a gaming experience as, beyond just insane damage-output, you are invulnerable (in whatever flavor your chosen WF provides) and between all the frames in your arsenal have an array of auto-win buttons for every conceivable situation at your disposal, no limits to using them. And there are potentially up to three other immortals who can clear or disable the map at the tap of a button running around.

Yes, I know, when we use these OP mods and powers, or end up in a group with people who do, it is our own fault, yadda, yadda. And no doubt someone will exaggerate how any change towards a more sane modding, energy and damage system will destroy the power fantasy and turn WF into Dark Souls.

No, it would not.  

Edited by Angwah
  • Like 3

I guess guns will be getting buffs then. If everything is OP, nothing is. Just don't forget to make enemies OP as well - if you did watch the videos you'll know that enemies were already not hard to kill at all. I wasn't even using Rivens, and those can easily double or tripple your damage.

1 hour ago, Traumtulpe said:

I guess guns will be getting buffs then. If everything is OP, nothing is. Just don't forget to make enemies OP as well - if you did watch the videos you'll know that enemies were already not hard to kill at all. I wasn't even using Rivens, and those can easily double or tripple your damage.

Once again, you used an Aoe weapon, not an actual gun. Take a Sybaris prime or Baza prime, ya know actual guns, and see where that goes.

21 minutes ago, (PSN)ErydisTheLucario said:

Once again, you used an Aoe weapon, not an actual gun.

Look again, I did use a gun. Killed the enemies just fine. Damage was not an issue.

3 hours ago, Traumtulpe said:

Look again, I did use a gun. Killed the enemies just fine. Damage was not an issue.

It's cool that you edited your post to include actual evidence, but the salt is still there in your description. Might wanna relax, at this point it seems your topic is lost among the salt mines you created. There's no reason whatsoever to be so pretentious.

Edited by (PSN)ErydisTheLucario