Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hold ___ to melee repeatedly

Scheifen

Hello, 

I am getting older and stuff is starting to ache.

When using high speed weapons with a high power wisp mote, and god forbid Volt's speed or the like stacked on, I am incapable of pressing E fast enough for long periods of time, or I start to feel my age in my hand.  I want to avoid any more repetitive strain than is necessary for someone who works at their desk all day, gets up to eat, then goes back to their desk to relax with Warframe. 

For weapons that don't have a special mechanic involving hold E (Here's to you, Glaives) can we have:

• Holding E repeatedly attack?

OR

• Middle mouse becomes repeated attack and Heavy attack stays on hold E?

OR

• Make a "repeated attack button" become key bindable by preference?

Am I alone in this? Thoughts or unforeseen considerations?

15 minutes ago, Scheifen said:

Hello, 

When using high speed weapons with a high power wisp mote, and god forbid Volt's speed or the like stacked on, I am incapable of pressing E fast enough for long periods of time, or I start to feel my age in my hand.  I want to avoid any more repetitive strain than is necessary for someone who works at their desk all day, gets up to eat, then goes back to their desk to relax with Warframe. 

For weapons that don't have a special mechanic involving hold E (Here's to you, Glaives) can we have:

OR

OR

Really not a bad idea to help accommodate those with physical pain. I also get pretty sore while playing largely because of repeatedly pushing melee. Something like this would be pretty helpful.

For the time being you can use a third party workaround (macro editor) to set a macro to your melee button, having it repeat inputs while held. DE's rules for third party applications are pretty specific and if you're using it for physical accommodation I don't think it would be an issue (please someone correct me if I'm wrong).

39 minutes ago, Scheifen said:

Hello, 

OR

OR

Since Steel Path i bound melee attack to mouse wheel scrolling (with clicky spin). Spamming melee by rolling the wheel requires much less finger effort, and the clicky spin still allows you to execute precise/timed single swings (as pressing E once). I hope this can help

Macros can solve this issue and are allowed by DE, though a built-in set of options would be much better. You wouldn't need to know how to build a macro and it'd work on consoles/gamepads. I already use an auto-melee macro and it really changes things for the better; there's no reason for this accessibility option to not be in the base game.

I wouldn't stop with just melee, though. Add options for auto-shoot for semi-automatic/burst weapons and auto-cast for abilities that don't otherwise have a hold functionality too. For example I also have an auto-1 macro to help with frames that have spammy 1st abilities like Khora or Atlas, and like my melee macro it makes playing those frames so much less painful.

16 hours ago, PublikDomain said:

Macros can solve this issue and are allowed by DE, though a built-in set of options would be much better. You wouldn't need to know how to build a macro and it'd work on consoles/gamepads. I already use an auto-melee macro and it really changes things for the better; there's no reason for this accessibility option to not be in the base game.

I wouldn't stop with just melee, though. Add options for auto-shoot for semi-automatic/burst weapons and auto-cast for abilities that don't otherwise have a hold functionality too. For example I also have an auto-1 macro to help with frames that have spammy 1st abilities like Khora or Atlas, and like my melee macro it makes playing those frames so much less painful.

Auto Melee, Auto Fire

Some other fun ones I also use:

1-button Bullet Jump

Auto Bullet Jump (as long as you're currently pushing forward)

Inverted Trigger - very nice for holding a Bow Charge at ready, tap to release

Auto Charge Trigger - holds charge then releases in a cycle, I use this for fast spammy bows, tombfinger primary, opticor vandal

Glaive Throw - tap to auto hold+release the Exact Timing to throw a Glaive (as opposed to hold down and just Auto Melee)

I agree. Especially now that Melee Heavy Attack got moved to its own button, holding Melee does nothing. There no longer exist combos with a "wait" component to them, either. There's no downside to simply allowing us to hold Melee to attack at the weapon's native attack speed. It saves our fingers, it saves our hardware, it's a quality of life thing.

While we're at it, I'd recommend doing the same to semi-auto ranged weapons. Holding the button would simply cause the weapon to re-fire as soon as its shot delay has expired. This would help with some particularly fast-firing semi-autos, but would also be nice to have across the board. I'd also extend this to charge-up weapons, as well. If a weapon auto-fires on full charge (like the Opticor), then simply let the player keep holding the button in order to initiate a follow-up charge as soon as shot delay has expired.

And of course, all of this ought to be optional, with a toggle each in options - just to ensure that people who don't want accidental multishots don't need to be affected.

I'm getting old as well. Macros helped my hands from hurting like hell for Path of Exile. But I don't wanna get banned from Warframe for using macros to save my hands. 

Good to know that DE allows some form of macro that's not abusable at least. Would like more information on the macros that people use for hand saving purposes.

Am 23.2.2021 um 16:47 schrieb Scheifen:

Hello, 

OR

OR

certainly not. i also have a wife and child and warframe is not a second job for me. therefore i only use stropha with heavy attack.
the same is true not only for mele. who presses the left button for HOURS several times per second? of course i can solve all of this with macros in less than a minute. but for me that has nothing to do with playing.

for masochists devs can leave the option for hammering in there. then they can also keep all 4 skills on cd, etc. (if they "enjoy" it so much)

@Scheifen
i have started using these shortcuts since i started playing with octavia during ISO early days, it made my left hand flare up  
(hijacking a bit of your post to comment)

i have posted before but: its their design choice to make you repeat some actions every 30s(skills) for long, really long sessions. in my case octavia and covid just made it worse adding crouch to the rotation - and lots of free time

which is a problem if you lack self control and wants to refresh skills earlier: 

any random video you see nocturne working, its about 5-8 crouches to refresh - every 40~42s >>> in a 30 minute session its a repetition of at least 250 rebuffing hand movements. 2h a day, in a week you have made around 7000 actions for a daily 2h session with just using nocturne. with 3 buffs up, thats 21000 repetitions. considering the other two are not as important, the risk only exists if the player wants to main octavia and wants to refresh skills earlier than intended.   

just try to go to an arbitration with a not-so-boring frame and check after a 30-minute run: you will be around 1000 abilities used, while inaros, wukong and nezha that entered with you, will log out with under 100

(also, since white knights will pop out: its a game design choice, just like how some RNGs are designed to fail your mission or give you a really bad chance at RNG. in this case, its acceptable/common stance in the industry if they just add a line with a warning to avoid playing extended sessions or something similar - wont prevent injury, but at least they warned you)

now back to the main topic:  

for the OP, a good workaround solution is: any basic logitech gaming mouse with extra thumb buttons , since the software already supports simple macros that you can just drag and drop to change settings(also supports game detection)

in my case, i have some simple melee repetition OR 2-3 repetitive actions which i alt+tab and switch on demand, bound to my thumb button - also switched MMB to scroll down, because mine is kinda hard to press making me put some extra force into the action(which is bad for my hand - scrolling a lot at work)

so far i have not found a solution to enable octavia gameplay again since you need to: set up a song >> 3 different refreshes for the buffs matching the timing of the said song

another option if you still want to play during the resting period: inaros and nezha are super safe, mostly your left hand action will be just keeping W pressed. (maybe some operator mode, but you can safely ignore and just use a pizza) 

They need to put laws in place at some point that stops companies from putting repetitive potentially harmful actions into game controls. The worst offender in Warframe semiautomatic weapons and then fast melee. People are going to have carpal tunnel from this kind of thing.

Yes pls. In-game macros can automatically adapt to in-game circumstances, like what kind of weapon we have equipped, whether we are in a vehicle, or whether we are typing in chat. Macros can only 'adapt' when we manually change macros on the fly which (IMO) is far too clunky for a game with Warframe's pace.

just some constructive feedback, but a review for buffs could be nice.

i mean, they could look at the data, a good number of players probably keep buffs up most of the time, so there's no need to refresh it every 30-40s(average) - i mean, its a bloated action that makes you feel you are doing something, but in reality is just a filler. (e.g. like recharge mechanic in No Man's Sky. )

no refreshing the duration(if you need to press something) or active drain of energy could be a better limiter.  

i mean, its not like you need to nuke every room with lavos 4, but if you dont play like a pianist, it feels like you are using it wrong.   

another point on this aspect is the sponges that you are forced to deal with when you need to hunt for your 16(32 in the future) weapons. a few hours each lich, you either run a tanky frame and balance your gameplay or you will use 1-2 skills each group of enemies you find on your way. >>> if the enemy gets too close because your primary/secondary is not enough, there you go, spamming your melee again.

that leaves you with either:

-spam melee

-use your nuke/CC skill

now, add the insult that you are a min-maxer, there is no way you will leave your weapon at 55%. if RNG is not on your side, its an average of 8 bad rng element weapons to valence. (kuva liches leave your game in a state that once you are mid-way, you have to clear the rest just because it will annoy your gameplay.)

Archived