Jump to content

Spear Melee Category


Recommended Posts

We are about to have a new weapon category of a giant buzzsaws but still no spears - the most basic, simple and commonly used weapon type of melee to ever be used by humanity.

No, polearms don't count. Not in this game... Even with Twirling Spire stance there's like 3 stab attacks for the entire stance, one per combo with the rest being slashes and... Slams?!

We have rapier subcategory yet still no spears. When there's some time available - i would really appreciate a proper spear for once. The one that stabs and stabs and stabs and maybe occasionally slashes.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stabbing is really not a very useful type of weapon attack, IMO. The rapier class of weapon, which utilizes a lot of fast stabs, is really ineffective compared with all other weapon types.

 

A true to form spear would have similar issues IMO. Stabbing is just not effective in Warframe due to the importance of AOE, with melee weapons. This is why +melee range is such a valuable stat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Artekkor said:

i would really appreciate a proper spear for once. The one that stabs and stabs and stabs and maybe occasionally slashes.

I'd definitely like spears too, but I'm pretty sure the  stances  in Warframe would inevitably be less stabby and more swinging them like baseball bats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

Stabbing is really not a very useful type of weapon attack, IMO. The rapier class of weapon, which utilizes a lot of fast stabs, is really ineffective compared with all other weapon types.

Haha, no.  😋 

 

38 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

A true to form spear would have similar issues IMO. Stabbing is just not effective in Warframe due to the importance of AOE, with melee weapons. This is why +melee range is such a valuable stat.

I think a mostly thrust stance could work for spears.   The weapon class itself could be the one long range and high follow through melee class (with good speed as well).  Stabs wouldn't be realistic by any means, but more like cones of effect that would be really good at killing stuff in those areas.  And it wouldn't be all stabs, I don't think, just much more emphasized.

It'd still be more of  niche weapon class--because anything that doesn't wield like a giant weightless lawnmower on a stick is a niche weapon in this game--but I think there's some rewarding design space to work with there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

.

.

.

.

.

Well, they're melee. gene wilder GIF

What?

I don't think you understand what I am saying. I am saying rapiers are not as good as other melee weapon types.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 часа назад, Leqesai сказал:

Care to elaborate on this? What examples do you have that put rapiers above any other weapon type?

He might've been thinking from a realistic PoV. Realistically, stabbings were always a superior form of attack in many ways.

I understand the concern that spears might suck due to lack of AoE, but i don't really care. I just need some graceful thrusting in my life.
Rapiers are pretty cool and i use them fairly occasionally, but i still would rather prefer a spear...
Giving them either conus of attack would definetely help at solving the AoE concern. That's what rapiers do.

It just seriously pisses me off that i can make a spear-like zaw that realistically speaking literally can't be used as anything else BUT the spear, because it ONLY has a sharp point, yet the goddamn polearm stances keep insisting on delivering wide-arc slashings, including Twirling Spire, which annoys me to no end.

I played around with the idea of making said zaw multiple times, but i just can't stand it in action because of how inappropriately it is being used. Its like watching bad movies where people with guns keep trying to close the distance on target instead of just shooting it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Artekkor said:

He might've been thinking from a realistic PoV. Realistically, stabbings were always a superior form of attack in many ways.

I understand the concern that spears might suck due to lack of AoE, but i don't really care. I just need some graceful thrusting in my life.
Rapiers are pretty cool and i use them fairly occasionally, but i still would rather prefer a spear...
Giving them either conus of attack would definetely help at solving the AoE concern. That's what rapiers do.

It just seriously pisses me off that i can make a spear-like zaw that realistically speaking literally can't be used as anything else BUT the spear, because it ONLY has a sharp point, yet the goddamn polearm stances keep insisting on delivering wide-arc slashings, including Twirling Spire, which annoys me to no end.

I played around with the idea of making said zaw multiple times, but i just can't stand it in action because of how inappropriately it is being used. Its like watching bad movies where people with guns keep trying to close the distance on target instead of just shooting it.

Unless the spear is something like this:

AG006S__88411.1503238651.1280.1280.jpg?c

Something with a spear+shield setup that utilizes a defense and attack state simutaneously.

Such a setup would offset the stabby restrictions in AOE utility.

Edited by Leqesai
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 часа назад, chaotea сказал:

Yes, something that benifits from stabbing, perhaps also a bonus for hitting enemies at just the right range, but doing less damage in enemies are closer.

Perfectly spacing out enemies in Souls games was always my favorite activity

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Leqesai said:

What?

I don't think you understand what I am saying. I am saying rapiers are not as good as other melee weapon types.... 

I'm just clowning...

 

10 hours ago, Leqesai said:

The rapier class of weapon, which utilizes a lot of fast stabs, is really ineffective compared with ALL other weapon types.

 

9 hours ago, Leqesai said:

What examples do you have that put rapiers above ANY other weapon type?

 

That being said, I feel more effective in most content using rapiers over fist or sparring weapons.  Probably daggers and staves too, but that's a tougher call.   However this is just me talking out my behind with plenty of bias, not based on any kind of testing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2021-02-23 at 5:49 PM, chaotea said:

Yes, something that benifits from stabbing, perhaps also a bonus for hitting enemies at just the right range, but doing less damage in enemies are closer.

yes, like making corpus kebabs on such a spear and then doing a swinging move to throw those poor sobs from the spear again as 'projectiles' against their friends ^^)

...i always wanted that kind of melee in warframe and was suprised the time when using a 'spear weapon'in the game that it wasn't even nearly used like a spear would: to stab something from afar and not to swing-slash like a naginata or polearm weapon.

it's a bit sad that DE grossly undertreated humankinds 2nd oldest weapon (at least i think that club-type melees were the 1st one we used - might be wrong there and we first stabed those annoying saberthooths with pointy sticks instead... anyone remember it correctly?)

anyway, it migh be used more easily with one or two new stances that incorporate the 'correct' spear behaviour for weapons that have this 'pointy-end' on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...