Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why the randomness of a Octavia Prime trailer all of a sudden? Will DE do others that don’t have one this way, Ballas narrated?

(XBOX)YoungGunn82

Completely random? I thought DE wasn’t doing them anymore? What changed?  Will DE do others this way? Loved the use of gameplay for the trailer. 

Prime frames missing Ballas narrated trailers-

Excalibur Prime, Loki Prime, Frost Prime, Trinity Prime, Mag Prime, Nyx Prime, Rhino Prime, Ember Prime, Nova Prime, Volt Prime, Ash Prime, Zephyr Prime, Limbo Prime, Atlas Prime, Chroma Prime, Inaros Prime, Titania Prime, Ivara Prime, Equinox Prime, Wukong Prime? 
and my best girl Mesa Prime? 

Yes? please? 
kevin hart lets GIF

5 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Completely random? I thought DE wasn’t doing them anymore? What changed? Discuss? Will DE do others this way? 

Excalibur Prime, Loki Prime, Frost Prime, Trinity Prime, Mag Prime, Nyx Prime, Rhino Prime, Ember Prime, Nova Prime, Volt Prime, Ash Prime, Zephyr Prime, Limbo Prime, Atlas Prime, Chroma Prime, Titania Prime, Ivara Prime, Equinox Prime, Wukong Prime? 
and my best girl Mesa Prime? 

Yes? please? 
kevin hart lets GIF

No, please... please, no. 

Just... no, no, no, no no. 

We don't need to waste a ton of development time going back and making umpteen cinematic trailers.

The fact they skimped on the cinematics a bit here is good as it didn't waste too much dev time. Please, just let the idea of prime trailers for past primes go away, and let us all move on... 

I doubt they'll do retroactive trailers, which I'm slightly sad about since that means my own faves get ignored, but I do appreciate the style they went with here, and I wouldn't say no to it continuing. Likewise, I wouldn't get upset if they went away again. They're icing, really, as far as I'm concerned.

Would be nice but I don't know how they could justify the time to make them for older frames. There just isn't any incentive for them to do so.

Personally I'd prefer that time went into Leverian entries for all of them instead. Those add more to the world building than the trailers do and would eat up less development time.

20 minutes ago, _R_o_g_u_e_ said:

I don’t want the new war to be delayed by another two years tbh 

Famously, the Valkyr Prime trailer was delayed significantly because the animation team was working on the War Within, not the other way around (ie, the War Within was not delayed because of the trailer). Then, of course, the Hydroid Prime trailer was delayed because of Plain of Eidolon and the Sacrifice. There was a not-insignificant quantity of animus (not so much these days) against DE's delayed prime trailers, but there has never been an indication that the dev team was tied up in the trailers and not working on the game. On the contrary, the trailers were the first projects to get pushed to the back burner.

6 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Will DE do others this way? 

Excalibur Prime, Loki Prime, Frost Prime, Trinity Prime, Mag Prime, Nyx Prime, Rhino Prime, Ember Prime, Nova Prime, Volt Prime, Ash Prime, Zephyr Prime, Limbo Prime, Atlas Prime, Chroma Prime, Titania Prime, Ivara Prime, Equinox Prime, Wukong Prime?

DE generally doesn't go back and do things retroactively, but there is a hint of promise: the Leverian entries (which have recently been filling the role of the prime trailers) have been accompanying not only new Prime warframes, but also warframes that received new deluxe skins, such as Nova and Ash. So it is possible that warframes that receive a cosmetic or mechanical rework in the future could also have trailers – although I doubt it, given the delta in effort between a Leverian display and a cinematic trailer.

39 minutes ago, trst said:

Personally I'd prefer that time went into Leverian entries for all of them instead. Those add more to the world building than the trailers do and would eat up less development time.

I would like the Leverian to be spruced up a little bit (it's so boring! just gray walls?), but I do very much prefer the lore-to-effort ratio they give DE and I'm very happy they realised that.

14 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

Famously, the Valkyr Prime trailer was delayed significantly because the animation team was working on the War Within, not the other way around (ie, the War Within was not delayed because of the trailer). Then, of course, the Hydroid Prime trailer was delayed because of Plain of Eidolon and the Sacrifice. There was a not-insignificant quantity of animus (not so much these days) against DE's delayed prime trailers, but there has never been an indication that the dev team was tied up in the trailers and not working on the game. On the contrary, the trailers were the first projects to get pushed to the back burner.

DE generally doesn't go back and do things retroactively, but there is a hint of promise: the Leverian entries (which have recently been filling the role of the prime trailers) have been accompanying not only new Prime warframes, but also warframes that received new deluxe skins, such as Nova and Ash. So it is possible that warframes that receive a cosmetic or mechanical rework in the future could also have trailers – although I doubt it, given the delta in effort between a Leverian display and a cinematic trailer.

I would like the Leverian to be spruced up a little bit (it's so boring! just gray walls?), but I do very much prefer the lore-to-effort ratio they give DE and I'm very happy they realised that.

Way to take what I said entirely out of context.

OP wants DE to go back and retroactively make primed trailers for every prime.

I wasn’t saying a single prime trailer would slow down main updates. But hey, it sure looks convincing when you get to make up arguments for other people and pretend to knock them down.

38 minutes ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

If they did more trailers this way it would have absolutely NO effect on future game updates. 

What’s your source?

What possible evidence do you have for how much work goes into these trailers?

That’s not all gameplay, some of it is very much still animated.

as someone who doesn't really care about Octavia, kinda bummed she got a trailer while about 20 other primes won't get to look bada$$, but I guess we still have the Leverian, when DE remembers it exists anyway.

10 hours ago, trst said:

Would be nice but I don't know how they could justify the time to make them for older frames. There just isn't any incentive for them to do so.

when they get unvaulted? newer players might not know what these older primes can do, the Trailer shows them and entertains them. it would help keep the hype going, and maybe result in more unvault access sales.

for me, the trailer is only really a Primed trailer as long as they've got Ballas narrating, I'd be fine with them using in-game footage if the cinematics are too time-consuming to put out consistently: the overall look of the game has improved so much over the years that DE don't need to "hide" behind fancy cinematics anymore. much as I'm sick of seeing the Deimos trailers pop up on my YouTube, they use in-game footage and it does look good IMO.

I very much doubt they'll do prime trailers for already sold frames that they have no reason to invest into marketing for right now.

Hydroid was for the meme value at tennocon, and Octavia I guess some of their staff don't have as much work as others with the things they're developping right now.

It's possible they'll do trailers for the next ones, but I wouldn't even take that as granted.

Why do people think game companies have all this extra time to do things that bring no ROI?

Do the posters that ask for these things have so much time where they work, they can just repaint the walls every time  a client says they want a different color?

Do these posters work somewhere that P&L has no meaning?

And what is with this constant refrain of "what I want cannot be hard" just because it sounds simple to them?

IMO, if it's 'so easy' to do, why don't these posters just go do it for fun?

I admit it, the trailer made me approximately 1.5% more interested in Octavia Prime.  But what got me genuinely excited was the thought that maybe, just maybe, Harrow Prime will get a cool bit of cinematic advertising fluff.

Revisiting old primes without trailers though?  Seems like a waste of time.  Sorry Ivara, you'll always have a custom cinematic Prime commercial in my heart. 💖

33 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

I admit it, the trailer made me approximately 1.5% more interested in Octavia Prime.  But what got me genuinely excited was the thought that maybe, just maybe, Harrow Prime will get a cool bit of cinematic advertising fluff.

Revisiting old primes without trailers though?  Seems like a waste of time.  Sorry Ivara, you'll always have a custom cinematic Prime commercial in my heart. 💖

Just play that Yondu scene from guardians 2, where he kills all those people with his whistle arrow, and edit a squid over him.

Tada, Ivara prime trailer.

I got a kick out of it. 

It was entirely unexpected and one of the better ones. Caught a bit of the wonder and cool factor that the original Saryn Prime trailer had. 

I wouldn't expect them to be a thing again going forward, but this one did hit the mark. 

"Why the randomness?"

Well... if they ever got back to doing them they had to start somewhere... you know?

They said they wouldnt do more because it took development time to make the cinematic and to pay the VA.

But this one had some Mocap... maybe? It had something the others didnt have: actual gameplay used in Captura instead of full cinematic. It might cut the development time and only have the VA as the biggest factor.

Who knows? Someone ask this at the Devstream.

Isn't these basically ads to market the prime packs? I mean just short trailer to showcase the goods they sell like other games do. DE didnt make these randomly, maybe it actually increase sales. If it does they will be doing it again for the next, if it didnt then they wont simple as. Short trailers for each primes is nice if they can manage ofc.

Archived