Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When do we get "Build your own warframe"?

MageSkeleton

i'm hopeing no one else has this as a topic, i tried to search and i didn't see anything else up.

Deimos is the perfect situation to add/impliment "build your own warframe". No "retconning" required.

Through helping the family on Deimos through the Cambodian Drift, they sensed a disturbance and send you to investigate. After going a far ways out (new map area) you come across an almost infested orokin ship. You learn about the origin of the Corrupted Anceints, and you find out about "Umbra Nidus" (not meant to be obtainable). You learn about how the Orokin destroyed it and created the first 'non-active" warframe golem and how they can be controlled like the necromechs. Maybe how these are what they used to "fend off" the sentients, maybe throw in something about Gara Prime.

Attempting to provide DE with lore aside, it would be amazing to be able to build our own custom warframe (like kitguns and zaw's) where the warframe may or may not have any abilities and you can use the subsume system to give it all 4 or 3 abilities.

sorry, i had to say that, so people don't have to.

but now that i got that out of the way, i do think that we're one step closer from a custom Warframe, but i don't think they'll ever do it,  it's just that Warframes are supposed to be unique in their own way, so making an entire new system just for a "custom warframe" who would probably have all the same abilities but different stats/mechanics is kind of a waste in my opinion.

look man helminth doesnt break the game because the abilities u can extract have penalities like larva has reduced range.

If u can build ur own frame everything else will be useless and the game will be broken. even if U wont make a frame with saryn 1, chroma 3, trinity 4 and saryn 4 1million other people will. its a bad idea to be honest. no hard feelings.

53 minutes ago, protecttheplanet said:

look man helminth doesnt break the game because the abilities u can extract have penalities like larva has reduced range.

If u can build ur own frame everything else will be useless and the game will be broken. even if U wont make a frame with saryn 1, chroma 3, trinity 4 and saryn 4 1million other people will. its a bad idea to be honest. no hard feelings.

A modular warframe doesn't have to be built up out of the parts of other Warframes. It can be built out of entirely new ideas and concepts. 

For example, imagine you have to pick arms, legs, head and torso parts to compile a custom frame. 

The arms determine your first ability. You can choose arms that give you a lobbed bomb projectile, a beam, a ground target location, a self-carried AoE, etc.

Then perhaps the arms themselves are also built out of different components, so that you also have to choose the effect, such as making it strip armour or heal allies.

This wouldn't be using the most broken parts of other warframes, it would just allow modular skill design. And now that I've thought about, I'm really curious about how such a system could be crafted and constructed and I'm quite excited at the prospect of it.

On 2021-02-24 at 6:20 AM, MageSkeleton said:

i'm hopeing no one else has this as a topic

They have, the Forum search doesn't return a lot of results by and large, but if you Google the phrase in context of the actual forum site it comes up with hundreds.

This is a very, very long-discussed concept and would have been fine before DE released the lore of what Warframes are and how they're made. As it is, I think that actual mix-and-match Warframes from a pool of Powers that you build up and earn like Helminth is almost entirely off the table. DE have been very, very restrictive with the powers they've allowed frames to use, and strategically nerfed several of those powers into oblivion (like Larva) because of how strong they would be on other frames.

However...

There is another way to do this.

Think about what we have with Necramechs; a summonable gear item that is literally a whole new power set. The same with in-atmosphere Archwings, where they give you a full suite of new powers (even if all people use them for is the Blink).

What if we were able to build ourselves an Orokin tech-based Companion? One that we could choose powers for the same way we mod and choose Abilities for our other Companions, but using Transference we could then take control of the Companion as another set of Abilities in the mission.

While we're not controlling them, of course they would operate on Companion AI and the powers would be cut down, but if we were to then control them they would become function, tactical variants of those abilities and be something we could use to compliment or contrast with our Warframe's play style, maybe even use them to hold weapons that we wield while in control of the Companion.

This system would be great for a mix-and-match style of creation. Because you would have the abilities that would be fairly useless when AI controlled, but then functional when controlled by us, or vice-versa where the AI would do better with them. They would, by default, need to not be able to 'die' fully (just like the Vulpaphyla companions) so that we have access to them for the full duration of a game, and they would be mod-able almost like a Warframe. Even levelling them would be easier because we could directly take control and 'pilot' them for kills and activities.

So imagine building a stealth Companion with invisibility and CC functions for running with a high-damage Warframe. So the moment your high damage frame isn't useful, like in a Spy, you could jump out, grab the Companion, stealth through the Spy vault, and get out. Being able to retain both styles of play by building the variety in. Or likewise, what about taking a frame that's full of enemy Debuff and pseudo survival skills like Banshee, complimented by a tanky-as-heck companion that can then stay alive and deal out the damage that Banshee has primed everything for.

I mean, the possibility is there, right?

We get to keep base Warframe gameplay, but we also get the customisation of a build-your-own 'frame' that we can take with us as an optional function.

The potential skill combinations would make the modular frame far more broken than anything else in the game.

Imagine a frame with Saryn's Spores, Revenant's Mesmer Skin, Rhino's Roar, and Mesa's Peacemakers.

Let's please not open Pandora's Box. Helminth was already a peek inside.

2 hours ago, Pizzarugi said:

The potential skill combinations would make the modular frame far more broken than anything else in the game.

Just to keep you up to date (also hi, long time no see!) OP did add to this that they meant the 'build your own' wouldn't be from existing abilities.

They would be a pool of abilities that you would choose from that would be unique to the process, similar to the way that all parts for Kitguns/Zaws are independent of any of the main melee/gun parts you can get.

3 hours ago, Colyeses said:

That's a new ability, not just Helminth, and one Warframe being bumped up. But where's Helminth's impact now?

To be fair?

It's currently making every frame completely unkillable with Octavia's roller, using Mirage's Eclipse buff on frames that have already-good damage buffing functions (like Volt) for boss killing meta, or finding completely new Nukes like Ensnare Lightning Funnel Zephyr that literally explodes enemies with only a little setup, or the infinitely scaling Breach-Bleed Garuda combo that needs practically no setup.

The ridiculous nuke and cheese strats are genuinely going strong.

2 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

or finding completely new Nukes like Ensnare Lightning Funnel Zephyr that literally explodes enemies with only a little setup

'Only a little set-up' is still more than what we already have, though.

2 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

or the infinitely scaling Breach-Bleed Garuda combo that needs practically no setup.

I tried that one. It's a fun idea, and it does technically work, but the scale-up is so slow and it requires so much set-up that, if you're out there slapping breach on targets anyway, you might as well tap E a couple of times and deal upwards of 300x the damage.

The gun boosting I'll give you, though. 

On 2021-02-25 at 4:39 PM, Colyeses said:

How much impact did Helminth -really- have, though?

Somewhere between 50-100% overall power? 

Modular frame will never happen. Not due to balance issues (though that would definitely be a S#&$ show) but more due to lack of character. It hurts DEs sales too.

Build your own Warframe would essentially be the equivalent of 1 or 2 optimal Warframe configurations and all the rest mediocre or bad. This is how Kitguns and Zaws work already... who builds the mediocre and bad Kitgun and Zaw configurations? Nobody! You're completely fooling yourself if you think anything modular provides variety and choice. It doesn't! It's a puzzle for you to figure out the best 1 or 2 configurations that DE balances around (and every other configuration is a mediocre or bad afterthought).

14 hours ago, nslay said:

Build your own Warframe would essentially be the equivalent of 1 or 2 optimal Warframe configurations and all the rest mediocre or bad. This is how Kitguns and Zaws work already... who builds the mediocre and bad Kitgun and Zaw configurations? Nobody! You're completely fooling yourself if you think anything modular provides variety and choice. It doesn't! It's a puzzle for you to figure out the best 1 or 2 configurations that DE balances around (and every other configuration is a mediocre or bad afterthought).

Kitguns could be so much better if the components fundamentally changed how it functions. For example, all clips have the same capacity and reload speed, but each one causes the weapon to fire differently. One can cause shots to chain between enemies, another can cause punch-through, or another requires first shooting an obstacle which then bounces off to hit an enemy (or make it optional and have it deal extra damage to reward trick-shots).

However, all it turned out to become was DPS, DPS, and more DPS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-02-26 at 8:48 PM, nslay said:

i know what you mean and i feel this is the fear DE would have for allowing this type of system. Weapons though i can understand, but as far as a warframe goes i've figured out that there are certain powers DE could literally lock to being what you can have on your 3 and then retain "build your own warframe" diversity and you'll find yourself still having to go back to one of the main warframes. Powers such as setting up a form of wall, healing, stealth, and/or an ability allowing AOE CC might be abilities to carefully add to the system. Perhaps this would be something to make such a system work, locking certain abilities to a slot while allowing multiple choices for each slot. 

Archived