Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing) is BUGGED: Pixels shifting around

Erra

Update - November 27th, 2022

The severity of this bug appears to scale with your rendering resolution, which explains why it's more prevalent horizontally. Rounding error?

This is a 150x150 region capture at my normal resolution of 3440x1440.

vgm7yk.gif

This is another 150x150 region capture, except that I have:

1. Shrunken the game window to 800x600
  2. adjusted my FOV, so the subject took up roughly the same amount of space:

v5yffd.gif

Original thread:

There is a problem with TAA in Warframe that causes moving pixels to shift around on animated meshes from what I'm guessing is incorrect motion vectors/some bug in the shader. This can be observed by turning on TAA and watching your frame or in the Focus menu, your Operator's face closely. 

Unfortunately, this is also present in the new Octavia Prime trailer at the end. Look closely at Octavia and you'll see the pixels on her shift around as she animates.

Footage of Operator's shoulder exhibiting this issue:

The gif compression may make it less clear, which is why I recommend that you just see for yourself in-game.

K4UZgKY.gif

Affects every platform, mostly the latest-gen ones as the rendering resolution on those is higher.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

IIRC someone tweeted this to Steve and he took note quite some time ago. I wonder if he ever found out what to improve.

Hopefully he finds a way. I just noticed it last night playing the new quest with Gara with her deluxe skin and I was like oh no. To my knowledge the best way to fix it would be to use a different AA like FXAA but that's easier said than done and I do programing IRL but nothing compared to what Steve does. I would imagine on console its a lot different then just changing the AA in the in game settings like you can do on many different PC games. This is just my thoughts on the matter. 

Redownlaoded warframe after i think years of break. I was confused what was happening, maybe my hardware was too new for the game? Mope. Its as broken as it ever was. Having same issues here. I either would have to play the game on settings that make it look like an eyesore or use TAA that makes textures warp like this. Why doesnt warframe have an option to use msaa? or any other civilized aliasing trechnique? I would really like to get into the game once more but the rendering bugs with TAA make it really bad on my nerves.

44 minutes ago, (XBOX)SpudLord PhD said:

Hopefully he finds a way. I just noticed it last night playing the new quest with Gara with her deluxe skin and I was like oh no. To my knowledge the best way to fix it would be to use a different AA like FXAA but that's easier said than done and I do programing IRL but nothing compared to what Steve does. I would imagine on console its a lot different then just changing the AA in the in game settings like you can do on many different PC games. This is just my thoughts on the matter. 

I can't remember if the console version has a AA setting, but if it does using FXAA or SMAA will make the issue go away as you pointed out. On PC we have these two + the current TAA implementation.

21 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

I can't remember if the console version has a AA setting, but if it does using FXAA or SMAA will make the issue go away as you pointed out. On PC we have these two + the current TAA implementation.

We do not have an AA setting at all sadly. I wish we could have that setting. Hopefully we could get that setting just like we got an FOV slider. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh! I’m so glad I found this thread. This has been driving me nuts, especially on the orbiter. I’ve even seen a static doorway do it, and I wonder if it’s the same strange antialiasing behavior. I’ll have to play with the settings tonight to see if I can get rid of that weird horizontal shimmy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived