Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Protea users...

(PSN)AbBaNdOn_

Question

I've had a couple of inspirations lately.   The first was mixing Adaptation with Arcane Barrier for near infinite shields for the frames who dont have DR.  I cant really speak to how this turned out except pretty decent.  My first targets were my nekro and mag both of whom have high shields,  but the arcane part doesnt really come into play because they both use overshields and can refill their own shields at will.   

Second bit of inspiration came from watching Rebb do Profit Taker as protea lol.   I've been enjoying the hell out of my tank frames with adaptation, namely Garuda.

But I saw someone asking for a Protea build in chat and I had not applied Adapt+Barrier to her yet...  I didnt really see a way to make it fit at first.   I gave the person my old build with suggestions.   But then I continued to tinker with it,  I found a way to get adpat without sacrificing to much of my other stats.    First I tried her missing some stuff ust to fit adapt and get a feel for that.  It felt decent enough.  So then I added forma and worked on her while farming Octavia Prime.    

She holds up pretty well, but unlike my nekro and mag she seems to lose her shieds pretty fast and she CAN get them back by tossing grenades but she has a very tiny energy pool and I use it for her other abilities.   Namely spamming grenades or TRYING to use her turret.

So here is my question:

From people who actually use Protea alot....what stats do you use and why??(what abilities do you focus on)   

My Protea is 200+ duration/ 200+ strength / 130 efficiency  and range is around 90.    Duration on her turret and 4th is absolute garbage even at that high of a duration... (5-6s for turret, 15 for Temporal).   A huge negative range will give Protea a bad case of tiny balls.  Grenades are spammy and just something I do for fun not serious killing... im not sure I want tiny balls tho.   

But im not happy with her toughness yet....  I want to slap redirection and or augur shields on her but to do that I would have to seriously fubar her abilities.....

I never use temporal anchor and I dont really rely on grenades...soooo  my build could go either way....   I could give up on strength completely and still have tons of duration.  Or I could give up on Duration completely and keep my strength high for grenades and a very short turret blast lol.   This would free up 1-2 mod slots for more shields...    Hmmm high strength also affects my shield grenades dont it........  ok im definately leaning that direction now...  

Im using:

- Primed continuity, narrow minded, stretch, streamline

-Umbra Vit/Intensify, trans fortitude, adapt

So im thinking...

-Umbra x2, adapt, redirection, streamline..... that only leaves 3 slots for stat mods.....  

My Protea has like 5-6 polarized slots so experiementing is hard and at this point wasteful lol...   I think im using melee aura but I also having been sticking Mobility on everything,  I love the extra boost to bullet jump/glide...  

But anyways thanx for any feedback.  Look forward to hearing what abilities or stats people focus on..    Protea is an interesting frame and has nice visuals so I dont spend alot of time on her but she does stay in rotation alot more than others....  

13 answers to this question

actually players mostly use the same mods almost everywhere. only a few are adapted depending on the situation.

I wouldn't use streamline if you have arcane energize. primed flow usually performs much better here and you have more energy buffer.

I don't think much of adaptation either. or do you play arbitrations? with a pimped operator, hardly anyone can actually kill you.

38 minutes ago, (PSN)AbBaNdOn_ said:

My Protea is 200+ duration/ 200+ strength / 130 efficiency  and range is around 90. 

Roughly speaking i run : 150+ duration, 150+ Strength, 75% efficency and 250 range. 600 + energy too.

Basically i use 4, then spam any other ability till im dry. When 4 ends, i get almost all my energy back except 125. I really just use here to clear rooms and defend objectives, as theres better alternatives for tanking.

For some reason my mobile app doesn't work now so I can't give my exactly build but I made it for Strength and slightly Duration I think. I don't use her 4th but shields from 1st and full use of 2nd/3rd. The one mod I definitely have is Primed Flow, also my Arcanes are Energize and Fury

I know this is very late, but I focus heavily to her duration with a both of effeciency and range, leaving strength where it is. The reason for it is that it means you have default stats, which can be boosted both by her passive and the Hemlith strength ability. Duration is needed because 1) her dispensary spits more items out, so that's nice and 2) her 1 and 2 scale more. Effeciency is needed a bit for spam, but I don't care about it that much. Though it all depends on what abilities you focus on. I use her 2 and 3 a lot, and took off her 4 cause I find it useless. Just my thoughts 

The game-changer for me was Equilibrium and Synth Fiber on my Moa. The Moa Overshield mod makes them basically immortal. Synth Fiber makes it so you can always pick up a Health Orb. Equilibrium gives you energy when you pick up a Health Orb (and vice versa). And Dispensary's Health Orbs give 100 health. So you push 3 and a few seconds later you're up 110 Energy, then another pop of energy right after, and this goes on for a full minute. High Duration, good Strength, a little Range, and normal Efficiency. I've got my Arcanes totally freed up for some shield ones which keeps her more tanky. Her 4 is basically dead to me so I've replaced it and never looked back, and IMO that's a good place to start if you want to look for more survivability.

Unless you're doing bosses all you need is range and strength and a bit of duration. For damage reduction, use aerodynamic aura and learn how to grenade skip. You can slap on the other aero DR mod if you can't get the hang of it. Use flow and energize and you don't need efficiency. Dispenser solves all energy problems. If you seriously spam and stack grenades, you can easily solo any SP content, and high level SP. There's no need for umbra forma or major investment, it's a super cheap frame. 

If you want to do a turret build you want duration and range and a bit of strength, and helminth larva. Don't use ensnare because you really want the pixel pull from larva. One turret shot can gain huge counter numbers, if you have tons of adds it's easy to see 70x multipliers.

A simple build layout:
[Primed Continuity] [Adaptation] [Augur Secrets] [Primed Flow]
[Overextended] [Umbral Intensify] [Constitution] [Stretch]

The aura is flexible and pretty much anything goes, though I tend to stick to either Steel Charge or Growing Power.

Energize and Aegis for arcanes.

183% Dur, 100% Eff, 235% Ran, 108% Str

Protea can keep an almost permanent shieldgating through her Grenade Fan so she doesn't need anything past Adaptation as defensive mods, although if statuses/toxin procs are a concern and you want to create a small buffer, replacing Constitution with Rolling Guard should work. Replace her 4 with either Larva or Ensnare. Larva has a better synergy with her 2 due to pin point enemy bunching, while Ensnare has better range and can spawn multiple instances of it.

Hmmm very interesting guys thanx for all the replys.   I do not have my moa set up for shield tank frames..  The Synth mods and equilibrium think I have done for health conversion but not for energy per say.   That sounds interesting...   About the moa blast shield mod tho....  that thing doesnt trigger alot....  and it doesnt start with it on....   in terms of survival that seems like you have a very high chance of losing it in the gaps it doesnt have insane shields lol.... and with it your radar and energy....   hmmmmm    I will look at all of it when I get back in game next.....

No big changes in my build yet...  After I posted this last time and got in game to mess with her..

I dropped to 150 duration.  Bumped my strength to 220%.   

The massive strength makes her shields grenades have a higher cap and recharge rate...which is basically my focus I guess.   BUT...... the high strength is good for her grenades and turret also.   I only go 8-10 rounds in disruption and her turret can really light up demolysts.   I move around way to much for a stationary dispencer to help me that much but I do use it if and when I get the chance but not a priority for me especially for energy regen.  

I gave her redirection so she gets up to 2k+ shields which is what I like on my shield tanks hehehe.

Like I said I guess today I will focus on my moa.   Also processing the idea of losing her 4 for something else....  I do use it occasionally to carpet bomb areas lol.  

PS:  not liking all the S#&$ the damage grenades bump into and mess up the deployment.   

I like to play with 4th sometimes. I used to play her a lot but now it's Xaku. So take it with grain of salt.

Survivality:

I like Rolling guard + Adaptation combination. I have Amalgam mod that gives me +60% to rolls so it's even better.

I use her abilities a lot (especially 2nd) so I could put some augur set or brief respite to make shield gating builds with her Shield grenade. Maybe it would work but I have to balance efficiency and energy. Not really my think but you can try. And you can use Dragon key with -75% for easier effect.

Arcane Eruption would be nice to CC enemies (especially with Dispensary).

Things like this makes her pretty durable... but one thing I cannot find good & interesting solution for: long "sequence of death" when, in Temporal Anchor, you get knocked down, killed, rewinded... and killed again. Primed Sure footed would probably work but I'm again I'm not sure if I should put it on. I've tried Firewalker but, while interesting, it doesn't prevent statuses (hence knockdowns) so above still applies. Of course I could put more power or stun/sleep enemies... but that's not so nice.

Stats:

As fair I remember it doesn't need a lot of ranges. Unless I infused some abilities I don't think I used range mods.

Strength is probably must for her. It affects 3 of 4 abilities (joke) so it's nice to have.

You could put duration but in my opinion she is more "spammable", hence she doesn't need a lot of duration. I set her for, afair 150% (~12 second of Temporal Anchor). If you manage to get it "right" (for yourself) you can spam a lot her abilities (especially 2nd and sometimes 1st). If you really need to use abilities then you can use TA. I found 12 seconds to be "just fine" - I can spam abilities and use other things without "oh no, it's a time to rewind" thing.

Having duration "just fine" is good as you don't have to rewind manually that often.

I don't use TA that much but when I do it has to be a lot of abilities to spam or some "interesting" thing to do (spam azima 2nd).

Ok I worked on my moa a bit.  It has blast shield, guardian, recharge?     Im gonna have to decide between Loyal Companion for huge bleedout time or shield link...   

I dont think I got to use it with my Protea yet...  My Octavia finished building yesterday lol.  

----------

I tried prime flow instead of stream..  I dont know.  It is very nice seeing 600 energy lol but just tossing 3 grenades, 1 shield, 1 despencer  is like half that energy...  My moa was already using some synth mods including orbs...   in order to equip Equilibrium I would probably have to rip out Redirection and lower my max shields... =(.    I'll give it a try......

I was wrong my build is more 125% duration  244% strength.   I refuse to have tiny balls on my Protea lol.   Oh...range also affects turret dont it...   im usually trying to use it point blank anyways ....   if I had tiny balls I could have tons of shields and Equilib.

Archived