Jump to content
Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

Anthem Next cancelled


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Myscho said:

wi7hn1aasmj61.jpg

Never count your chickens before they hatch. Or your loot before you roll the mission?

I'm currently downloading the Demo, waiting to see what's what.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

A shame. It's never a good thing when a game comes out awful, but it seems to be a distressing norm for games trying to break into the "Live Service" market to launch incomplete with the devs/publishers claiming that they'll "finish it later" (Warframe's initial release gets a pass on this front in my eyes, considering that DE was on the verge of closing down when it came out. Can't really expect a finished product under those conditions). Bioware's extremely poor management of the project certainly didn't do Anthem's development any favours.

As for Outriders, the fact that it's apparently launching as a full product gives it a better chance than most, though I likely will not be playing it myself. Not really a fan of the aggressive gameplay style they seem to be pushing, as I prefer to use more defensive tactics (I disliked the new Doom games for the same reason).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Not really a fan of the aggressive gameplay style they seem to be pushing, as I prefer to use more defensive tactics (I disliked the new Doom games for the same reason).

I'm gonna be trying out the Technomancer, which seems to be at least able to facilitate that (turrets, crowd control, a degree of emphasis on sniper rifles), and unlike the other three classes, they can heal at long-range and without attacking.

If it works out, I'll let you know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I'm gonna be trying out the Technomancer, which seems to be at least able to facilitate that (turrets, crowd control, a degree of emphasis on sniper rifles), and unlike the other three classes, they can heal at long-range and without attacking.

If it works out, I'll let you know.

Cheers! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the game.

Bear in mind that I'm not saying that "Push Forward Gameplay" (the term I have heard used to describe this sort of combat loop) is bad, it's just not the kind of thing I enjoy. Either way, I'm hoping the game is good for those who do enjoy it.

Edited by Corvid
Link to post
Share on other sites

Others on this thread: remembering Anthem being hyped as a Warframe killer.
Me: Remembering the Mass Effect 3 debacle.

Also me:

Warner Bros Lol GIF by Joker Movie

13 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I'm gonna be trying out the Technomancer, which seems to be at least able to facilitate that (turrets, crowd control, a degree of emphasis on sniper rifles), and unlike the other three classes, they can heal at long-range and without attacking.

If it works out, I'll let you know.

 

12 hours ago, Corvid said:

Cheers! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the game.

Bear in mind that I'm not saying that "Push Forward Gameplay" (the term I have heard used to describe this sort of combat loop) is bad, it's just not the kind of thing I enjoy. Either way, I'm hoping the game is good for those who do enjoy it.

Have tried out the Technomancer and played through the demo as a Trickster. Game isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I am enjoying trying out the demo for what it's worth. Trickster seems to be about hit and run, while Technomancer can be played as a "let enemies come to you" type of way, granted you have the weapons for it of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

Which is gonna be a massive negative for a lot of people, just like in NFS 2015.

I mean, personally I don't mind online requirements, but I can see why many people hate it.

Yep indeed. It is also one of the things I question about the Outrider devs, they've said over and over "not a live service game" and then they require always online? I guess 1+1 = 55 to them. Aside from that oddity the game is pretty decent the little I've played it so far, gonna have to see if it feels the same further into the demo or if it is just the fresh car smell playing tricks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Yep indeed. It is also one of the things I question about the Outrider devs, they've said over and over "not a live service game" and then they require always online? I guess 1+1 = 55 to them. Aside from that oddity the game is pretty decent the little I've played it so far, gonna have to see if it feels the same further into the demo or if it is just the fresh car smell playing tricks.

Will it be SimCity all over again?

Also, I heard Dragon Age 4 will have its multiplayer removed and be a story driven game only. Some people are thinking "EA finally learned" and I have my skepticism at all high for those people. Didnt THEY learn yet? Android Wilson is only bidding its time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Corvid said:

A shame. It's never a good thing when a game comes out awful, but it seems to be a distressing norm for games trying to break into the "Live Service" market to launch incomplete with the devs/publishers claiming that they'll "finish it later" (Warframe's initial release gets a pass on this front in my eyes, considering that DE was on the verge of closing down when it came out. Can't really expect a finished product under those conditions). Bioware's extremely poor management of the project certainly didn't do Anthem's development any favours.

And i find it ludicrous to say thing like this, considering we are playing warframe where every update is as incomplete as it can get. Poor management indeed. There are no passes, DE just got lucky.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kaotyke said:

Will it be SimCity all over again?

Also, I heard Dragon Age 4 will have its multiplayer removed and be a story driven game only. Some people are thinking "EA finally learned" and I have my skepticism at all high for those people. Didnt THEY learn yet? Android Wilson is only bidding its time.

Could be. Atleast the devs for Outriders have no plans for future DLCs and expansions unless the game is well recieved, so it feels kinda like they just wanna break even and earn a bit for their work. The game really embodies the words generic and clunky atm. Not to mention that it is quite spectacularly ill-optimized with frame drops when not much is going on. In WF we slaughter through screens full of enemies at high speeds in all directions, in Outriders you face 10 or so enemies at once at a fairly low pace with barely any elevation or size to the maps and it still has issues to keep fps stable. Not to mention it is all about guns and pretty basic "ability" effects. Guess it is all the pointless background fluff like smoke and explotions etc. that the game has going. Marvel Heroes had the same issue and was also done on Unreal Engine, they added pointless fluff to building that you couldnt even enter, resulting in way to much rendering of things never experienced. Atleast they figured it out and revamped it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, (PSN)Yggranya said:

And i find it ludicrous to say thing like this, considering we are playing warframe where every update is as incomplete as it can get. Poor management indeed. There are no passes, DE just got lucky.

 

On 2021-02-25 at 8:44 PM, Corvid said:

Warframe's initial release

Y'know, the one back in 2013, when the studio was literally on the verge of bankruptcy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Corvid said:

 

Y'know, the one back in 2013, when the studio was literally on the verge of bankruptcy.

You know it's very strange because some people keep speaking about how Warframe gets a pass with the broken updates all that and we give s*** to those new games that come out.

The difference is that we are getting expansions, the base game is already done. 

Games like Anthem came out incomplete, it wasn't a complete product at base.

There is a difference. But some people ignore that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kaotyke said:

the base game is already done. 

I'd argue that this isn't the case, simply because we still have a few of the original placeholder bosses.

That said, I don't think the "incomplete updates" issue is nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2021-02-26 at 12:29 PM, SneakyErvin said:

Atleast the devs for Outriders have no plans for future DLCs and expansions unless the game is well recieved, so it feels kinda like they just wanna break even and earn a bit for their work

I would be willing to bet they have DLC in the works, its just after the crap fest that was the Avengers Square is not going to be so forth coming with "look, at all the great stuff we have coming". I would bet the horrid launch that was avengers is the reason for a free month long beta test for anyone that want to try it.

On 2021-02-26 at 12:29 PM, SneakyErvin said:

In WF we slaughter through screens full of enemies at high speeds in all directions, in Outriders you face 10 or so enemies at once at a fairly low pace

It has the feel of if the Division, Mass effect and Destiny had a baby. I will say though they need to figure the healing issues in the game out only one class that can heal with out killing enemies and solo boss's is sorta a bad decision in that respect.

Edited by minininja77
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, minininja77 said:

I would be willing to bet they have DLC in the works, its just after the crap fest that was the Avengers Square is not going to be so forth coming with "look, at all the great stuff we have coming". I would bet the horrid launch that was avengers is the reason for a free month long beta test for anyone that want to try it.

It has the feel of if the Division, Mass effect and Destiny had a baby. I will say though they need to figure the healing issues in the game out only one class that can heal with out killing enemies and solo boss's is sorta a bad decision in that respect.

???

Devastator: "As the Devastator, you will recover health from slain enemies that stood too close."

Pyromancer: "As the Pyromancer, you will recover health whenever enemies marked by your skills are killed."

Technomancer: "As the Technomancer, you will recover a portion of the damage you deal as health."

Trickster: "As the Trickster, each enemy killed in close range heals you and extends the duration of your shield."

I've tried Trickster, Technomancer and Devastator. I've had to kill with all 3 to recover health. Do you mean, when not playing solo, Trickster recovers health from enemies killed by teammates? Seems that's also the case for Pyromancer and Devastator. Can't comment on how the game operates when playing co-op as I've only played solo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, minininja77 said:

I would be willing to bet they have DLC in the works, its just after the crap fest that was the Avengers Square is not going to be so forth coming with "look, at all the great stuff we have coming". I would bet the horrid launch that was avengers is the reason for a free month long beta test for anyone that want to try it.

It has the feel of if the Division, Mass effect and Destiny had a baby. I will say though they need to figure the healing issues in the game out only one class that can heal with out killing enemies and solo boss's is sorta a bad decision in that respect.

SE has very little to do with the game. They arrived late to it, somewhere at the end of 2018 as publishers. Everything that is official comes from PCF since they arent bound by being under the roof of SE unlike crystal dynamics, eidos montreal and nixxes. They've been very firm with the no DLC info and why it is the case. They've repeated over and over, no live service, though that is a bit odd given it requires a constant internet connection much like WF. But I guess they refered to content releases. Though they have said that if the game is popular enough they'd consider future expansions, otherwise they'll just keep it as it is, a full game experience that works on its own.

I do wish they go a different path with healing, Technomancer passives (those you get directly when picking the class) are just insane compared to the others. Skill and weapon leech for free is just miles better than anything the others get. I did solve it though by visiting the vendor and picking up atleast 1 weapon with weapon leech on it. And this is before we even consider the massive ranged superiority the Techno has access to in the active skills, which makes it even more forgiving to play.

9 hours ago, (PSN)DoctorWho_90250 said:

???

Devastator: "As the Devastator, you will recover health from slain enemies that stood too close."

Pyromancer: "As the Pyromancer, you will recover health whenever enemies marked by your skills are killed."

Technomancer: "As the Technomancer, you will recover a portion of the damage you deal as health."

Trickster: "As the Trickster, each enemy killed in close range heals you and extends the duration of your shield."

I've tried Trickster, Technomancer and Devastator. I've had to kill with all 3 to recover health. Do you mean, when not playing solo, Trickster recovers health from enemies killed by teammates? Seems that's also the case for Pyromancer and Devastator. Can't comment on how the game operates when playing co-op as I've only played solo.

Only Pyro recovers HP when allies kill, if you've marked the target with one of your abilities. Pyro does however have the ash skill, which leeches life on hit equal to the damage it deals, it can also be upgraded though item mods to leech twice, though I doubt that works on bosses that have no adds.

For me it has felt like.

Techno = Walk in the park WMD with little worry.

Pyro = Good all around, slower than Techno since you need to watch out more due to far less healing. Still kicks the teeth in on enemies.

Trickster = Where did the hit and run go? I feel like I have to play heavily around the sphere skill to stop bullets and enemies while relying on my weapons fully since every skill is close ranged (in the beta atleast). This class could seriously use a large amount of extra movement that isnt tied to skills in order to get in there quicker. Honestly, they should make his melee a lightning dash thing or something to let him get around. Also, he could use other ways of building shields and not just rely on kills. I guess the game will rely alot on gear to actually enable some classes to make use of their kit. Like how there are guns that leech shields.

Devastator = Havent played him much, gonna try it today. Though there are mods that enable alot for him, like health return based on the damage your leap skill does and so on, which can be further improved by a second mod that give the skill a massive damage boost aswell.

Sadly the demo doesnt really let us experience all of it. Which makes it really really hard to judge the game. Something good with the demo is that you can clearly see the game will be less spongey the further you get since gear changes a crapton in how you can play the game and how you approach the maps. The more gear you get the less dependant on cover you get etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Devastator = Havent played him much, gonna try it today. Though there are mods that enable alot for him, like health return based on the damage your leap skill does and so on, which can be further improved by a second mod that give the skill a massive damage boost aswell.

I love this class as it really lets you move away from the "cover" aspect of the game but I did find that with out a solid leach weapon boss fights are out of the question with out a grp as the no self healing thing the game has in place. I would love to see their leap on a warframe as a ability

Link to post
Share on other sites

Outriders was enjoyable enough for a day playing with a friend (cross-play indeed works, random multiplayer seems broken).

The character creator is meh, the story/acting is funny/bad, the menus are clunky, and cover shooters aren't really my thing, but the powers made it fun enough and it did run nicely on the PS5.

Other than the initial story bits, the game is really lacking any sort of alien planet vibe, it's just rooms of humans in rubble leading to a human w/powers. The full game is going to need a lot more variety to get me to buy it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, (PSN)Elvenbane said:

Outriders was enjoyable enough for a day playing with a friend (cross-play indeed works, random multiplayer seems broken).

The character creator is meh, the story/acting is funny/bad, the menus are clunky, and cover shooters aren't really my thing, but the powers made it fun enough and it did run nicely on the PS5.

Other than the initial story bits, the game is really lacking any sort of alien planet vibe, it's just rooms of humans in rubble leading to a human w/powers. The full game is going to need a lot more variety to get me to buy it.

 

A lot of the trailers and promotional content indicate that there is gonna be a lot more alien planet stuff, which does make me wonder why they decided that the first half or so should be walking around beautiful landscapes doing... things, followed by 2.5 hours of brown muddy trenches.I mean, I know that the gameplay should speak for itself (would REALLY like for it to stop crashing so I can experiment without worry) but lets be real here, something looking good gets people hooked until the gameplay loop has them interested. Xenoblade Chronicles X has a very similar premise and its first area looks like 

Spoiler

Xenoblade Chronicles X' Review: The Savior Nintendo's WiiU Really Needs  [VIDEO]

 

I'm still pretty undecided about it so I can't give more in-depth thoughts on it (Sorry @Corvid ) but I can certainly see why somebody would like it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...