Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Having an issue with unveiling a riven mod

(PSN)firemedic623

Question

Riven challenge: Synthesize a Simaris target without taking damage AND without using traps or abilities while having a Hobbled Dragon Key equipped.

I have tried using Nehza, Limbo, and Ivara. I use the respective ability that can assist with the challenge as soon as I drop into the mission and 5 seconds later it fails me. From everything I have read, you can use abilities while you are not near the target, however I fail even before taking a step in. I have made sure that I have the right dragon key equipped, I went without a companion (just in case), and I even had a clan member scan the target for me. Nothing has worked. I do not have rhino, as he seems to be one of the major suggestions but I'm not sure that would matter if all of the others have failed almost immediately. 

Thanks for any feedback or assistance that is offered. 

1 hour ago, (NSW)IronElemental said:

I guess i misunderstood OP saying he immediately failed his challenge upon casting an ability at entry. Guess we'll never know the full truth of it.

(Edit)I think OP said he tried exactly that and still failed on the ability criteria. Gonna reread the whole thing now..

yeah....he doesnt state why hes failing, he probably doesnt know. as i said initially...my guess is hes taking some sort of damage. ANY damage from anything at any time will cause a failure. it could be something as silly as a barrel explosion near by or some aoe damage from an enemy. the thing is that hes actually failing it...not that hes not meeting some requirement or other. under the criteria of the challenge, the only reason to fail so soon after starting the mission would be damage. rhino would stop that...but rhino is a bad choice to scan the target, and he doesnt have rhino anyway.

ivara in prowl wont take any damage as long as you dont do anything. if you are solo...enemies wont shoot..so no stray aoe or explosions. but you still have to be careful not to do anything to cause self damage...that means avoiding traps, not fighting, and not trying to open breakable containers. the first 2 are easy enough...especially with the infiltrate augment...that last one is also easy...as long as you remember not to shoot at or melee anything. old habits and all.

On 2021-02-27 at 1:13 AM, (PSN)firemedic623 said:

Riven challenge: Synthesize a Simaris target without taking damage AND without using traps or abilities while having a Hobbled Dragon Key equipped.

I have tried using Nehza, Limbo, and Ivara. I use the respective ability that can assist with the challenge as soon as I drop into the mission and 5 seconds later it fails me. From everything I have read, you can use abilities while you are not near the target, however I fail even before taking a step in. I have made sure that I have the right dragon key equipped, I went without a companion (just in case), and I even had a clan member scan the target for me. Nothing has worked. I do not have rhino, as he seems to be one of the major suggestions but I'm not sure that would matter if all of the others have failed almost immediately. 

Thanks for any feedback or assistance that is offered. 

The challenges involved with a Riven are only restricted to you alone.

If you can't use abilities due to that Riven, have someone else CC the target's face to oblivion or trap it.

If damage is the problem, have someone else get shot at.

The only thing you'll have to focus on is to take the key with you and to avoid having a clear LoF (Line of Fire) between you and the target. Humping corners is fun during those challenges.

5 hours ago, (NSW)IronElemental said:

That would only work if a squadmate is ivara and shoots you a path of invisibility arrows to walk undetected. Otherwise he'd have to use an ability himself and fail on that criteria.

what?

no. not only are squadmates not required...but you kinda should do it solo anyway.

ive done this exact challenge like 6 times...and this is the easiest way ive found. why would ivara need other team mates to make her invisible?

oh...i see...youre misunderstanding the challenge. "without using abilities" only kicks in once the target has been found. thats why i said to immediately go invisible upon entering the mission. if you are already invisible once you locate the target (map marker appears) then it doesnt count...you just cant use an ability AFTER the target is located.

::edit for clarity::

the wording of the challenge is misleading. it should read "without casting abilities". abilities already in use when the target is located wont fail the challenge. 

On 2021-02-26 at 6:38 PM, (PSN)firemedic623 said:

I DO NOT have Rhino, I specified that in the post. I'll try the Kubrow approach, I don't have the sentinel that gives stealth.

Soo... maybe Get Rhino then?

don't expect to be able to do all content without getting the right tools first.

unlocking progression is the core of this game.

ivara makes this challenge trivial....and you have her so....

i imagine youre doing something to take some kind of damage and thats why youre failing, trying to open crates, shooting bad guys, i dont know....dont do anything at all. youre only here to scan the target...not do the mission.

ok.....

max duration and use continuity and flow. if you have a preparation mod...this is the time to use it. leave your companion home or make sure they wont try to kill anything.

find an exterminate mission with a target to scan so you have as much time as you need. you can do a capture....but i wouldnt as you have to go hunt them first and you might mess up. as soon as you enter the mission immediately go invisible and STAY INVISIBLE...seriously...do not run out of energy or accidentally run or anything....staying invisible the entire time is the key here.

do NOT shoot or hit any containers or enemies. you can get more energy by opening lockers or (more easier) just walking up to enemies and looting them.

a trick is to constantly jump while your walking...ivara is slow in prowl and you need the hobbled key...but jumping is not slowed down even with the key...so just jump everywhere.

then all you have to do is follow the trail to the target and scan them. once thats done you can do whatever you want to finish up and extract...you already unlocked it.

On 2021-02-27 at 1:13 AM, (PSN)firemedic623 said:

I even had a clan member scan the target for me

I think the best way to do this would be to go with clan mates, first stick you in a gara glass wall, then they go off and kill everything except the target. Most exterminate or capture missions stop spawning enemies after a while, so once theyr'e all dead, you can wander over and scan it pretty easily, especially if someone else traps or sleeps it.

And then you'll unveil it to find its for a Kreska :D

On 2021-02-27 at 2:39 AM, (XBOX)sinamanthediva said:

Nezha will work if you are able to keep the warding halo on before you encounter the target, that will prevent the take damage portion of the riven

No it won't - warding halo was nerfed to be a 90% damage reduction, not the old 100% one. I'm still upset at it.

Either get an invis frame and scan them or get an invis frame with a clanmate to snare them with their ability then scan them. Or bring an invis frame and a mesa, oh my bad, like a lot of ppl in this thread i missed a certain part, hm, maybe the Stalk mod on kubrow? I would definitely take it slow with a good one shot weapon, low level and try to stealth through most of the map, I'm not sure if infested can be synth targets but if so then def try that route

vor 15 Stunden schrieb (XBOX)Oussii:

use rhino, as soon as u land use iron skin and run like the wind and bypass all enemies.

use a cold weapon to shoot the simaris first as it will slow him down, then scan him

PS: if u use iron skin as soon as u land you will not fail

Good luck

yes, rhino was super easy back then. just max the skill and then you can scan for an extremely long time.

I missed the "no taking damage bit". Kinda important. Sorry. 🤪

So, okay... if it's just you who has to avoid taking damage, and you can get friends to help...

Maybe try picking a mission like Capture or Exterminate which won't continue spawning enemies beyond a certain stage. Stay at the mission start point, while your friends clear the map of all enemies except the Synthesis Target. Then you can join them without risking damage.

I'm not even sure if the Target ever attacks you, or just runs away. But if your friends stay closer to the target than you are they should draw any potential aggro. If it's a melee unit they could even potentially body-block it so it can't get near you.

EDIT: the wiki says "Synthesis Targets of melee units will simply charge at the player as normal, while Synthesis Targets of ranged units will run around the tile set aimlessly."

This is the best I can come up with if it really isn't possible to sneak an Ability in.

Trying to do this one solo, I can only imagine would need a silenced weapon and some painstaking stealth play. 😬

Good luck.

EDIT: I missed the "no taking damage bit". Kinda important. Sorry.

7 hours ago, (PSN)firemedic623 said:

I use the respective ability that can assist with the challenge as soon as I drop into the mission and 5 seconds later it fails me

It didn't do that in the past, but maybe they patched it. Doesn't matter:

You're focusing too much on trying to sneak an Ability in. It's not necessary.

Vector-Thread Widget is very helpful here, as it gives +45% scan rate. 50k Simaris standing one time, and your Scanner is faster forever. Well worth it, IMHO.

Do it on a low-level planet, so you can ignore any surrounding mobs safely and concentrate just on the Synthesis Target.

If when the target spawns you keep your distance and spot it from reasonably far off, you can usually get at least one scan in before it starts moving.

If the target spawns in a dead end, it's easy meat, 'cos it wants to escape, but also wants to keep away from you... so it just runs in a little circle. A bit fiddly to scan, but no danger of it escaping. 😃

The Dragon Key only nerfs your sprint speed. Parkour isn't affected. So it's quite realistic to give chase. Roll!

(You've probably spent more time and effort on trying to circumvent the restriction than if you'd just gone to the thing and scanned it.)

Since you don't have Rhino, your Nezha will work if you are able to keep the warding halo on before you encounter the target, that will prevent the take damage portion of the riven, then use ground slams around the target, to give you time to scan the target.  I would also recommend throwing out a specter of some sorts to take the focus off you if there happens to be any enemies around.  Ivara will work good too, as long as you are in Prowl before you encounter the target it will not count against you as using a power.  In addition the target won't run away if your are invisible, making it easier to scan.  The only problem would be if you get hit by a stray bullet, toxic damage from an Ancients aura, or any other AOE damage that will cause a fail unfortunately.  It's a frustrating challenge for sure but still doable.  Good luck!

Archived