Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Weapon Mechanics Thoughtout] Separate Combo Counter System for Guns - Could it work and How? [ENDING PRIOR INACTIVITY]

FoxFX

2 hours ago, FoxFX said:

I believe the sniper weapons Komorex and Sporothrix has some explanation on how AOE attacks count for the combo system. In both weapons' example, the AOE does NOT register the combo counters for the sniper.

We could do the same for the guns but also make some exceptions as well.

Huh, so there is precedent. Good to know, that opens up your options a little.

8 hours ago, Teoarrk said:

Will any of your ideas here change with the Dev Workshop itinerary from Friday?

Your On Hit suggestion stands out quite well compared to most of the Workshopped items.

I don't think most of the ideas will change; it would be a matter of seeing the community's reception to DE's Workshop plans once it is released in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow draws the opening of the gun changes. I will take a few weeks closely observing the reception before making another comment on the subject.

However, I do hope to have some more thoughts and discussions about this particular idea from more.

The first impressions I have been seeing recently criticizes that the gun changes haven't really been doing much for the lesser used guns and considering the work needed to get the new Galvanized Mods and the Arcanes to make them a bit more powerful along with the fact that the changes favor guns that can already kill higher level content.

Some are also saying that melee weapons still have a strong enough presence though Glaives have taken a significant hit.

I will work out my own personal thoughts on the matter. However, my opinion on a Gun Combo Counter system still holds strong for now.

• 2 weeks later...

The Gun Combo Counter suggestion was solely to reward skillful use of guns for players using what the Sniper's Combo Counter system offers to other guns. I felt it would've been the most natural choice and solution to help guns meet up with the capabilities melee weapons had so far.

Right now, the gun changes seems to reward guns when they kill an enemy. I don't feel that comfortable with it since there are a large library of guns and the majority of them will require a much longer time to kill them than the more popular ones [a majority of them which are AOE-based]. Understandably, we have Rivens which could give some lower-used weapons an edge, but consider that the Riven System and their bonuses are all stuck with RNG.

Melee still has some presence especially since they have their access to Heavy Attack builds to offset some of their lost power from a few mod changes.

I still feel the topic of the gun balancing is going to persist in the near future [especially with the development of Cross-Play/Cross-Save], and I still feel that a Gun Combo Counter system is perhaps the better option to consider. I still kinda wish more would share their thoughts on the matter.

This article may close soon.

A forethought of mine was that this particular thread should have been introduced to the General Feedback Threads, but considering the main focus of the topic I decided to put it into the Weapon category. While I do feel this particular topic should be talked a bit more, I feel it maybe time to put and end to it.

I may repost this in the far future when posts about this general problem ever reoccur again.

For now, thank you for those that took time to share your thoughts on the idea but overall on the weapon balancing as a whole.

Archived