Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New War & the Increasing Irrelevance of Faction Syndicates

(PSN)IndianChiefJeff

The New War has been quite the messy spectacle to sort through. Starting all the way back with the Chimera prologue up until now, with the conclusion of Orphix Venom. Throughout the experience, multiple quests & events have brought together a mutual disdain for the invading denizens of Tau, though it hasn't entirely unified every ablebodied fighting force. The Corpus have remained on guard since the forced creation of Amalgams, and Granum's presence seems to indicate a potential alliance in the future. The Grineer foolishly combat both Tenno & Sentient forces in an attempt to acquire potentially potent resources. Vox Solaris, undoubtedly with assistance from the Quills, managed to collaborate alongside us in the Scarlet Spear Operation. Lastly, the Entrati family provided us with enough fire power in the form of Necramechs during the Orphix Venom Operation. As one could assume by the title of this post, I question the significance of all 6 Faction Syndicates, organizations that should, in theory, have a vested interest in protecting the Origin System. There's serious implications revolving around the lack of contributions from these organizations.

Starting with Steel Meridian, they're the self-proclaimed defenders of the Colonies. One could conclude that they'd have close ties to the people of Cetus, given their involvement with Ghouls. We know that, due to being comprised of Grineer defectors, they possess a variety of weapons & vehicles, Galleons included (As seen in The Chains of Harrow). Why they haven't been seen actively trying to form a defensive blockade around Earth during the events of Scarlet Spear is completely beyond my understanding. New Loka is absolutely dedicated to the preservation & potential revitalization of Earth. As previously pointed out with the likes of Steel Meridian, they should vehemently protect Earth from a hostile force, but we've never once seen any agents of this syndicate prove their commitment during the Earthbound portion of Scarlet Spear. The Perrin Sequence, much like their Grineer counterparts, should also possess a fleet comprised of Obelisks, Pillars & Stanchions, as well as  a decent supply of robotic proxies to throw at the Sentients, but haven't even lifted a finger. The Red Veil & Arbiters of Hexis, having close ties to the Tenno, understand the dangers that the Sentients represent, but they too sit on the sidelines. As for Cephalon Suda, she was almost completely overtaken by Hunhow. For her to do nothing is absolute insanity, considering the fact that she should have an axe to grind with them.

All of this inaction seems to demonstrate a severe amount of negligence when it comes to fleshing out the lore of Warframe. Am I the only person concerned with something like this? Am I overreacting? Aside from the depressing lack of new ingame content pertaining to the "Original 6", they also contribute nothing to what is considered a major event in the lifecycle of Warframe. When will they finally be relevant to the game? All the attention seems to go to Open World Syndicates these days, with no room for ancient content like the "Original 6".

23 minutes ago, (PSN)IndianChiefJeff said:

Am I the only person concerned with something like this? Am I overreacting?

I think that we have a disagreement with how powerful these syndicates really are.

Take Steel Meridian. Sure, they have a couple of Galleons and stuff like that. But... blockading the Earth? Do you know how many ships that would require? And Earth is under Grineer control - do you think that the Grineer will be happy for one of their planets to be put in a "defensive" blockade by someone whomst they consider to be genetic aberrations?

You say that "why they didn't form a blockade is beyond your understanding", but... what if Steel Meridian are just not that big of a deal in the Warframe universe? Sure, they can sell a couple of weapons to the Tenno, they have a dozen people in the relays, they have a couple of Galleons, and as soon as the Grineer or the Corpus or the Sentient merely breathe in their direction they run hiding and call their favourite Tenno for help.

Same goes for all the other Syndicates. The Perrin Sequence are nerds who sit in a room and buy stocks on RobinHood, New Loka waxes poetically while standing in a pond, Cephalon Suda doesn't even have a physical body. Red Veil had one asset - a Tenno - who is dead, leaving them now completely devoid of purpose. The Arbiters live just to teach philosophy to any Tenno who'll listen. What do you expect them to do during Scarlet Spear? Suda bombards them with fun facts and confusing thoughts while the Perrins try to sink the monetary value of the Sentient stock assets by selling them toxic financiary products?

I don't know, man. I mean, I always found that the six syndicates were institutions on the brink of destruction, who survive by begging the Tenno to help them out of a tight spot - because, let's face it, each time we meet them it's a "OMG Tenno one of our operatives has been captured, if you don't save them we are DOOMED" sort of situation. These aren't institutions that can blockade the Earth when they want to - these are small groups of people who come to us and beg us to do something.

And you can easily see why, with the pre-existent idea I had of the Syndicates, I wasn't at all surprised by their absence during Scarlet Spear. To me they were always barely irrelevant, and their absence proves their irrelevance. You were convinced that the Syndicates would be very relevant, and are puzzled by their absence: and this is fine, but... you know... I suggest you should reassess their importance.

So...

39 minutes ago, (PSN)IndianChiefJeff said:

When will they finally be relevant to the game?

In my opinion, they never will. They were always thought to be very secondary entities in the Warframe universe, and they will stay very secondary, and that's fine. Not every faction/group/gathering of people needs to be able to blockade a Grineer planet.

I mean...

The syndicates have always been pretty irrelevant. There have been speckles of content related to the various factions over the years but they've always just sort of been in the background doing nothing. I don't really see future content as further invalidating an already invalidated type of content. Syndicates are just there for you to get specific loot. Nothing more nothing less.

1 hour ago, (PSN)IndianChiefJeff said:

All the attention seems to go to Open World Syndicates these days, with no room for ancient content like the "Original 6".

to be fair, they don't really understand the gravity of the situation with regards to the impending war with the Sentients. I believe the narrative will focus on each of the syndicates - major enemy syndicates and the smaller ones we work for - all gradually coming to realize "oh damn... if we don't put our differences aside for a moment, these stick-bois will actually kill us all". if I were a Sentient leader, that's what I'd be banking on: right now everyone else is at war with each other, and it would be much easier to take over the system, even with some Tenno interference, but if all the factions unite, and work with the tenno, that would make things much more problematic for Sentient forces, who would now be seen as a common enemy by everyone else (except the Infested I guess, but they don't really matter here). 

my predictions to the big 6's reaction to The New War:

- Steel Meridian's response would likely just be to start reinforcing the colonies to protect civilians and they would fight alongside us on the frontlines. exactly how much military power they possess is up for debate; they may have to rely on the larger factions to some degree, and that means potentially having to work with the grineer, who they defected from.

- Arbiters of Hexis are still so underdeveloped that we don't really know anything about them, if they really do just exist as a movement that supports the Tenno, then they would just be OK with us doing what we have to do against the Sentients.

- Cephalon Suda, and perhaps also Simaris, would probably be more concerned with studying the Sentients than getting them killed, though Suda having been attacked and nearly killed by Hunhow in the past might encourage her to be more aggressive towards the sentients. Simaris would still just want you to synthesize Sentients to add them to his precious Sanctuary, and he would only go to war with the Sentients if they were somehow able to directly threaten Sanctuary (but given that Hunhow could get inside The Weave, that should be possible, no?)

- Perrin Sequence would probably be more concerned with what the corpus have been doing with regards their experiments with Sentient Tech, in the forms of both Nef's research, and the partnership between the Sentients and Alad V. 

- Red Veil (my guys), will likely just see Sentients as another group that needs a good purging. While Steel med fights them on the front, red veil would launch covert strikes with our help against the Sentients. putting their edginess aside, they're as close to silent and deadly assassins as we are (when we use silent weapons anyway).

- New Loka will deem Sentients as "impure" due to them being artificial constructs and immediately go to war with them. I can see them focusing on defending earth almost exclusively. 

so as theoretical timeline:

Spoiler

> Sentients arrive in force

> each faction takes a crack at pushing back the Sentients individually, while still fighting their usual battles.

> Sentients massacre faction forces and assimilate their tech.

> ohsh1t. jpeg.

> factions realize Tenno are only ones capable of stopping Sentients, like they did before.

> Sentients bring out something new that makes life harder for Tenno (Orphixes that counter everything lol), Tenno start to struggle.

>OHSH1T.jpeg

> meeting is called between faction leaders, to try and form an alliance, likely ends in mud-slinging and past tragedies being brought up in heated arguments.

>Sentients make more progress and have a good chunk of the system by this point.

> AAAAAAHHHHHHH!.jpeg.

> something happens that affects all factions, and they magically come to the realization that yes, these Sentients WILL kill everyone no matter what.

> another meeting is held, an alliance is formed.

> united together, the main factions, small factions, and the tenno start pushing back the sentients.

> final confrontations with Natah/Lotus, Erra and Ballas. the New War is won thanks to everyone pulling their weight, Sentients are either eradicated completely or more likely just sent back to Tau again.

> war ends, but peace doesn't last forever, factions gradually start going back to fighting each other, and we're back where we started.

I could be wrong of course, but that to me is probably the best way to handle the New War's narrative. it's a bit cliché I guess, but it works IMO.

2 hours ago, Dhrekr said:

Take Steel Meridian. Sure, they have a couple of Galleons and stuff like that. But... blockading the Earth? Do you know how many ships that would require? And Earth is under Grineer control - do you think that the Grineer will be happy for one of their planets to be put in a "defensive" blockade by someone whomst they consider to be genetic aberrations?

You say that "why they didn't form a blockade is beyond your understanding", but... what if Steel Meridian are just not that big of a deal in the Warframe universe? Sure, they can sell a couple of weapons to the Tenno, they have a dozen people in the relays, they have a couple of Galleons, and as soon as the Grineer or the Corpus or the Sentient merely breathe in their direction they run hiding and call their favourite Tenno for help.

Same goes for all the other Syndicates. The Perrin Sequence are nerds who sit in a room and buy stocks on RobinHood, New Loka waxes poetically while standing in a pond, Cephalon Suda doesn't even have a physical body. Red Veil had one asset - a Tenno - who is dead, leaving them now completely devoid of purpose. The Arbiters live just to teach philosophy to any Tenno who'll listen. What do you expect them to do during Scarlet Spear? Suda bombards them with fun facts and confusing thoughts while the Perrins try to sink the monetary value of the Sentient stock assets by selling them toxic financiary products?

These are really good points, and a lot of this made me laugh haha. Very nice. 

7 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Please explain how a blockade is going to do anything when you can't defend a planet in space?

Consider how it was done in other sci-fi franchises like Star Wars. You have multiple "capital ships", or Galleons, stationed around the parameters of Earth. Radar systems detect any incoming Orphix or other Sentient fighters. Galleons retaliate & deploy Cutters, Flaks, Taktises, Outriders, Crewships & any other smaller fighters. The Battle of Ryloth saw something similar to that effect, with Mar Tuuk managing the blockade. A vast majority of Republic supply ships would be shot down, as it was crucial to force the native resistance to surrender completely to Separatist occupation. It wasn't foolproof, it was eventually broken after all, but what it so strange about a similar scenario applying to Warframe?

It's not too much of a stretch in comparison to everything else, right? I mean, this is a game about Space Ninjas, Eldritch space horrors & the compulsive desire to amass an arsenal that would violate countless laws established by the Geneva Convention, all set under the framework of our galaxy in the far-off future where terraforming technology made other planets inhabitable. If Little Duck can get an entire relay, Steel Meridian should have a few ships at their disposal to coordinate Earth's defense.

Do you realize how stupidly powerful the tenno and the warframes are compared to simple, mundane mortals like syndicate members?

Like, we can kill every single steel meridian operative in the universe in like 4 hours with just a single tenno.

For real, when you go to a survival and kill 1000 grineers every 10 minutes, you realize how powerless normal civilians are, all the syndicates can do its to pray for our help and avoid getting caught in a crossfire, because if sentients are an issue for us, for sure they are gods for them, just lile the tenno and their warframes are.

2 hours ago, (PSN)IndianChiefJeff said:

Consider how it was done in other sci-fi franchises like Star Wars. You have multiple "capital ships", or Galleons, stationed around the parameters of Earth. Radar systems detect any incoming Orphix or other Sentient fighters. Galleons retaliate & deploy Cutters, Flaks, Taktises, Outriders, Crewships & any other smaller fighters. The Battle of Ryloth saw something similar to that effect, with Mar Tuuk managing the blockade. A vast majority of Republic supply ships would be shot down, as it was crucial to force the native resistance to surrender completely to Separatist occupation. It wasn't foolproof, it was eventually broken after all, but what it so strange about a similar scenario applying to Warframe?

It's not too much of a stretch in comparison to everything else, right? I mean, this is a game about Space Ninjas, Eldritch space horrors & the compulsive desire to amass an arsenal that would violate countless laws established by the Geneva Convention, all set under the framework of our galaxy in the far-off future where terraforming technology made other planets inhabitable. If Little Duck can get an entire relay, Steel Meridian should have a few ships at their disposal to coordinate Earth's defense.

I don't think you understand what I'm getting at. Blockades in space don't work period. True blockades can only work on a ground scale, space doesn't work like that. Which is why any blockade they've shown in Star Wars has been entirely stupid.

9 minutes ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

I don't think you understand what I'm getting at. Blockades in space don't work period. True blockades can only work on a ground scale, space doesn't work like that. Which is why any blockade they've shown in Star Wars has been entirely stupid.

Basically any kind of 3 axis blockade dont work. For 3 axis blockades to work they need to be actual nets, not blockades as we know them, and an actual net needs a lot of ships. Granted that all the fomorian ships the grineer have (that are as far as we know the most powerful ships in the warframe universe) are not enough to stop a single tenno squad from decimating them, not even speaking about a full fledged sentient assault, something that even us, the tenno that decimated said fomorian float, fear.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

As stupid as it may be, I'd prefer any sort of effort over, well, nothing. Otherwise, the only real purpose these Syndicates serve is Relic Pack & Augment Mod farming. Old content or lore that cannot be repurposed or revitalized is just a wasted asset.

21 hours ago, (PSN)IndianChiefJeff said:

The New War has been quite the messy spectacle to sort through. Starting all the way back with the Chimera prologue up until now, with the conclusion of Orphix Venom. Throughout the experience, multiple quests & events have brought together a mutual disdain for the invading denizens of Tau, though it hasn't entirely unified every ablebodied fighting force. The Corpus have remained on guard since the forced creation of Amalgams, and Granum's presence seems to indicate a potential alliance in the future. The Grineer foolishly combat both Tenno & Sentient forces in an attempt to acquire potentially potent resources. Vox Solaris, undoubtedly with assistance from the Quills, managed to collaborate alongside us in the Scarlet Spear Operation. Lastly, the Entrati family provided us with enough fire power in the form of Necramechs during the Orphix Venom Operation. As one could assume by the title of this post, I question the significance of all 6 Faction Syndicates, organizations that should, in theory, have a vested interest in protecting the Origin System. There's serious implications revolving around the lack of contributions from these organizations.

Starting with Steel Meridian, they're the self-proclaimed defenders of the Colonies. One could conclude that they'd have close ties to the people of Cetus, given their involvement with Ghouls. We know that, due to being comprised of Grineer defectors, they possess a variety of weapons & vehicles, Galleons included (As seen in The Chains of Harrow). Why they haven't been seen actively trying to form a defensive blockade around Earth during the events of Scarlet Spear is completely beyond my understanding. New Loka is absolutely dedicated to the preservation & potential revitalization of Earth. As previously pointed out with the likes of Steel Meridian, they should vehemently protect Earth from a hostile force, but we've never once seen any agents of this syndicate prove their commitment during the Earthbound portion of Scarlet Spear. The Perrin Sequence, much like their Grineer counterparts, should also possess a fleet comprised of Obelisks, Pillars & Stanchions, as well as  a decent supply of robotic proxies to throw at the Sentients, but haven't even lifted a finger. The Red Veil & Arbiters of Hexis, having close ties to the Tenno, understand the dangers that the Sentients represent, but they too sit on the sidelines. As for Cephalon Suda, she was almost completely overtaken by Hunhow. For her to do nothing is absolute insanity, considering the fact that she should have an axe to grind with them.

All of this inaction seems to demonstrate a severe amount of negligence when it comes to fleshing out the lore of Warframe. Am I the only person concerned with something like this? Am I overreacting? Aside from the depressing lack of new ingame content pertaining to the "Original 6", they also contribute nothing to what is considered a major event in the lifecycle of Warframe. When will they finally be relevant to the game? All the attention seems to go to Open World Syndicates these days, with no room for ancient content like the "Original 6".

They would definitely care...if DE wrote them to care.

9 hours ago, (PSN)IndianChiefJeff said:

The New War trailer demonstrated that a full Sentient invasion dropship (not a minor scouting party Condrix or Orphix) can casually obliterate a galleon on impact and not be slowed down on its way to a planet.

So, even assuming that a net or blockade is feasible for Steel Meridian,  it'd just be setting up two birds for the Sentients to kill in one stone.

7 hours ago, EdinaMonsoon said:

they're just cults tbh, they have no real power

what would be interesting is if a sentient followers faction formed, like how humans of today always have a group or following for something against their own interests

Cthulu, our lord and savior

On 2021-02-28 at 3:37 AM, (PSN)IndianChiefJeff said:

The Corpus have remained on guard since the forced creation of Amalgams,

I don't know how much evidence we've seen of this. Sure, Alad V was coerced into creating Amalgams, but it's not clear quite how well he's integrated back into the Corpus mainstream after his removal from the Board. The other Corpus may not even be aware of what's really happening on Jupiter.

Vox Solaris, undoubtedly with assistance from the Quills, managed to collaborate alongside us in the Scarlet Spear Operation.

Scarlet Spear was run by Little Duck in her capacity as a Rail agent, not Vox Solaris (which, to the extent that it even constitutes a real organisation, appears to be led by Eudico).

Little Duck: "I deal with all sorts: low-breeds and the high-born. Everyone wants somethin' they're not s'posed to have. But these days it's a buyer's market. And what's sellin' is stuff that'd get a girl buried. Sentient stuff. And it's been comin' in by the wagonload. My crowd had these Murex rumbled months ago. Back then, old mate Teshin wasn’t havin' it. Tried warnin' him, but… you know the type."

Other commenters in this post have mentioned that the factional Syndicates are likely not large and powerful groups. Remember that the Sentients are the Big Bad. They're the bogeyman of every extant culture in the Origin System. The Grineer and Corpus are nervous about fighting them. These small bands of rebels don't even factor into the calculus. We don't even know that the Arbiters of Hexis even have any real fighting force (because we know nothing about them), and Cephalon Suda almost certainly doesn't.

12 hours ago, (PSN)IndianChiefJeff said:

Old content or lore that cannot be repurposed or revitalized is just a wasted asset.

How is it wasted? It was used in the past. It served the purpose it was created for. It doesn't really cost anything to keep it around – certainly not more than the time and effort it would take to delete it.

On 2021-02-28 at 11:19 PM, Leqesai said:

I mean...

The syndicates have always been pretty irrelevant. There have been speckles of content related to the various factions over the years but they've always just sort of been in the background doing nothing. I don't really see future content as further invalidating an already invalidated type of content. Syndicates are just there for you to get specific loot. Nothing more nothing less.

They are arguably a way for some of us to enjoy scavenging around the maps .I sure do them each session.

On 2021-02-28 at 4:55 AM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

to be fair, they don't really understand the gravity of the situation with regards to the impending war with the Sentients. I believe the narrative will focus on each of the syndicates - major enemy syndicates and the smaller ones we work for - all gradually coming to realize "oh damn... if we don't put our differences aside for a moment, these stick-bois will actually kill us all".

I'm getting a very opposite impression: that the Grineer and Corpus have very much NOT realized that

In the Natah quest, Tyl Regor reveals the Grineer actually see the Sentients as martyrs who, however indirectly, freed the Grineer from slavery. The Corpus meanwhile see the Sentients as a source of money and free technology, as seen in both the Valkyr Prime trailer and the Orb Vallis Enrichment Labs. The arrival of the Scarlet Spear fleet hasn't made the Grineer and Corpus sober up to a greater cause, it's made them more ravenous toward each other and spiteful to the Tenno than ever!

5 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

I'm getting a very opposite impression: that the Grineer and Corpus have very much NOT realized that

In the Natah quest, Tyl Regor reveals the Grineer actually see the Sentients as martyrs who, however indirectly, freed the Grineer from slavery. The Corpus meanwhile see the Sentients as a source of money and free technology, as seen in both the Valkyr Prime trailer and the Orb Vallis Enrichment Labs. The arrival of the Scarlet Spear fleet hasn't made the Grineer and Corpus sober up to a greater cause, it's made them more ravenous toward each other and spiteful to the Tenno than ever!

In fairness, it's only a select few Corpus from what I can tell. According to Alad's lore entry there's a strict ban on working with Tau-tech. But, either Nef and Alad are good at hiding it, or more likely, any inspection and regulation was gutted and more or less relies only on stigma, which Alad (despite his posturing) very much buys into. In the lore, he's terrified when he figures out that A: he's working with Tau-tech and B: He's working with Sentients, but by that point he's contractually (and Ropalolystally) obligated to keep up his work. LD also seems more or less none the wiser about the Conduits too, and it's not unlikely that Latrox Une is the same way about his backpack. So chances are most Corpus are bloody terrified of anything Sentient.

Of course, why bother fighting them when the Tenno can do it, you push them out afterwards, and then steal all the juicy Tau Tech loot that you can be at least 75% sure is dead!

On 2021-02-28 at 6:32 AM, Tesseract7777 said:

These are really good points, and a lot of this made me laugh haha. Very nice. 

I mean if nothing else, I would just love to see more content with the Syndicates in general. Steel Meridian were the only guys that got a hub world for instance, and most have very short quests. Then you have guys like Arbiters of Hexis and Steel Meridian who got their own gamemode, and with Steel Meridian's case we even get attacked by Red Veil, a gimmick to be sure but one that makes the mode a bit more interesting.

I'm not expecting some galaxy-sundering antics from these guys, but I would like more content for them in general, especially for those who have maxed the Syndicates (as it's not very hard) so we can have a reason to flash our titles and badge. Just more stuff to do for them I guess, as honestly most Syndicates have just been Augment suppliers for years now.

I think you're overthinking their strength a bit but I also would love to see them more in action. The truth is that they are extremely active, going on missions daily and even ask us to join them. They have even made special mods and weapons for us that only requires a strong mutual bond.

What I would love to see is a final mini quest from each of the six factions that would:

A) Solidify a permanent standing with them that would never become negative. This should be mastery rank locked, requires all quests up to new war be completed and require all six factions to be in above negative standing to trigger. Yes, that's a lot and it should be.

B) Unlock a final set of weapons

C) A final universal "amalgam" type mod that has the affinity based proc built into it.

D) A special sentinel, sentinel mod or sentinel weapon.

E) An "active" sigil that adds +5% to all warframe and syndicate specific weapon stats. 

Archived