Jump to content

How many others feel like the last couple of deluxe skins (including the Zephyr skin about to release) looked 10x better on paper?


Recommended Posts

I didn't like the Khora skin on paper, but I think it looks atrocious in-game.  I thought the Hydroid skin looked amazing on paper and it looks really lack luster and flat in-game.  

Then there's Zephyr.  I thought it looked amazing when first shown.  In no small part because the theme and color scheme actually matched what I was going for in my own main look-loadout for her.  Now it's been shown in game and because of all the really sharp angles with very thin looking materials she looks like a generic enemy type out of a Nintendo 64 game.  She's so sharp she almost looks like she's super low poly instead of the really high quality art most of the game has.

If the landing craft and the operator cosmetics look good, this is just going to further cement my position on the fact that "bundle only" is total toxic BS because I no longer want anything to do with Zephyr's deluxe as it is now, but I might still want the other things that come in the pack.  I know I won't be able to buy just the things I like, which means it's probably going to be a 400-500ish plat deluxe bundle and I'm only going to want part of it.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

On paper you can fudge the proportions a bit, and  you choose the angle that its seen in, and the lighting, and you don't see anything the artist doesn't want you to.

 

In game?

Not so much.

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

lately? this has been happening for years now lol check the frost deluxe on paper and watch him in game, that helmet kinda ruined the look for me.

deluxe packs have always been bundle only, no point arguing over such things now

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they've been letting Liger go a bit too much personally. don't get me wrong, some of Liger's work is great, but the Zephyr deluxe just has so much going on that it's kind of overwhelming IMO, and not in a good way. but more power to anyone who likes the skin and will buy it. I still like Zephyr Prime's regular look best.

that revenant one is also not normally something I'd go for, but at this point I'm that desperate for anything other than his default that I'll buy it once I get a coupon. 

 

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it started with Khora, I literally didn't recognize her on the in-game showcase, it took me a while to remember there was a concept art shown a while ago.
The two looked nothing alike to me.

And now Zephyr...depending on the other contents of the bundle, I might still get it. First thing to go if I use the skin is definitely the helmet.
If anything, I would rather get the Strafe Tennogen skin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just deluxe, wraith (sevagoth) concept looked rad but sevagoth ingame feels too rubbery (feels like a kid trying on their moms fake fur coat right out of the wash).

Some deluxes get it right (excalibur, mag, oberon, Nezha, Nidus, Nyx, trinity) , some are just trash(nova, Khora, Volt)  and some are very taste oriented (ember, chroma, Vauban, Atlas) this is from my eyes, cause beauty and the beholder and what not, some might feel differently of course.

Deluxes have always been hit or miss from the beginning , not just recently

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Not just deluxe, wraith (sevagoth) concept looked rad but sevagoth ingame feels too rubbery (feels like a kid trying on their moms fake fur coat right out of the wash).

Some deluxes get it right (excalibur, mag, oberon, Nezha, Nidus, Nyx, trinity) , some are just trash(nova, Khora, Volt)  and some are very taste oriented (ember, chroma, Vauban, Atlas) this is from my eyes, cause beauty and the beholder and what not, some might feel differently of course.

Deluxes have always been hit or miss from the beginning , not just recently

Only thing Volt Deluxe is good for is Pepsi Man cosplay, and that's plenty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This has always been an issue. 

Remember the salt over the Banshee deluxe? 

Oh man... people were angry... I remember post after post and thread after thread dissecting literally every angle, line and curve of the skin in great detail, comparing it to original pictures, etc. and arguing about it ad nauseum. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

I didn't like the Khora skin on paper, but I think it looks atrocious in-game.  I thought the Hydroid skin looked amazing on paper and it looks really lack luster and flat in-game.  

Then there's Zephyr.  I thought it looked amazing when first shown.  In no small part because the theme and color scheme actually matched what I was going for in my own main look-loadout for her.  Now it's been shown in game and because of all the really sharp angles with very thin looking materials she looks like a generic enemy type out of a Nintendo 64 game.  She's so sharp she almost looks like she's super low poly instead of the really high quality art most of the game has.

If the landing craft and the operator cosmetics look good, this is just going to further cement my position on the fact that "bundle only" is total toxic BS because I no longer want anything to do with Zephyr's deluxe as it is now, but I might still want the other things that come in the pack.  I know I won't be able to buy just the things I like, which means it's probably going to be a 400-500ish plat deluxe bundle and I'm only going to want part of it.

Well... they just notice this: if the base skin and the one you can buy with platinum are ugly, you are forced to buy with real money the tennogen that in 90% of cases are aextremely better than any other skin. So, they throw "ugly free skin" so if you wnat to look nice you should go on tennogen =)

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dauggie said:

lately? this has been happening for years now lol check the frost deluxe on paper and watch him in game, that helmet kinda ruined the look for me.

deluxe packs have always been bundle only, no point arguing over such things now

Just because they haven't changed it so far doesn't mean we should stop talking about it.  Bundle only is trash.

Aside from that, I kind of disagree on the earlier skins.  I can see where you're coming from, and maybe it's because I wasn't around for several of them (Started a little over 3 years ago.) but I don't outright hate most of the earlier ones. I like almost all of them and only haven't purchased a few of them because they're for frames I don't use much, like Gara.  I like her skin, I just don't like Gara.

I don't have Ash's Shroud skin because I have Koga and like it better and the Shroud skin (imo) got dead horse'd a lot harder than other deluxe releases with everywhere full of "loOk aT MY aSsaSSIns cReeD cOspLAy!" posts for weeks afterward.

I don't hate Ember's Vermillion Skin (wasn't around to see what it was supposed to look like) but I just prefer her Graxx Skin.  I'd pick up the bundle if I didn't hate the pistol skin.

I really like Frost's Harka.  I like almost all of the old Deluxe's and if I don't have them it's because I either don't use that frame much (Inaros) or have a skin for them I like much better.  That's not the case with the recent ones, for me at least.  I'd take base Khora over the Deluxe any day of the week.  I'd take Hydroid Prime over his Deluxe as well.  If I pick up the Zephyr bundle it won't be for the skins, but because I want the other stuff and DE can't figure out how to be player friendly with the market.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

And now Zephyr...depending on the other contents of the bundle, I might still get it. First thing to go if I use the skin is definitely the helmet.
If anything, I would rather get the Strafe Tennogen skin.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRi5qklN6fskzRs8jx32Sv

It looks kinda cool, it's basically the only reason I'm waiting for this deluxe. Just have to see how it'll look in-game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is the texture and graphics are still vary dated with Warframe’s engine. The Zephyr deluxe makes it painfully obvious graphical detail and texture is struggling. It doesn’t really work. So  say what you want about anthem but the  graphical textures, details and customizations of the javelins is what’s really missing from Warframe models (enemies, warframes, operators, NPCs, weaponry) and until there is some type of overhaul it will always struggle. 

Edited by (XBOX)YoungGunn82
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

This zephyr skin is what happens when gundam and speed racer have a lovechild who then had a fingerpaint accident

Khora deluxe is when you take the body shapes of apples and pears literally 

Garuda deluxe is a stick insect...i dunno if it was a lost bet or something

Edited by ReddyDisco
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
vor einer Stunde schrieb Loza03:

On paper you can fudge the proportions a bit, and  you choose the angle that its seen in, and the lighting, and you don't see anything the artist doesn't want you to.

 

In game?

Not so much.

This. I have no clue about 3d modelling, but it is the same thing with clothes. You can design a great looking piece of clothing and make it look good in the catalogue, but when the customer puts it on it can still look weird and awkward.

Materials and details change with perspective and lighting and a two dimensional sketch usually will attempt to show the product 'at its best', where all details look nice together. From a different perspective they might not work that well together.

For 3d work that is probably even more true, since you have to work with a large variety of artifical lighting.

Tbh, I don't really like the design of the skin, not even on paper. It is just not my taste and too far away from the organic design that I love in Warframe.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 1 Stunde schrieb Dauggie:

deluxe packs have always been bundle only, no point arguing over such things now

Incorrect. There have been (very few) deluxe pack items that were purchasable seperately. From the top of my head I remember the Mag deluxe pack syandana being one of them. Again, I think there were a few random exceptions. I agree with the second part though.

Regarding the rest of the topic: it's subjective. Just as with the "muh immersion" drama-wings from Ticker.

I don't like the Zephyr one. I'm meh on the Gara one. I like the Khora one. I despise the Deadpoo- I mean Ash, Ember and Frost ones which are non-recent. I remember there being similar non-issue voices when the Banshee deluxe came out. I still bought all the deluxe packs.

No idea why ~400p for a deluxe pack full with neat stuff that comes out like twice a year is an issue. At least it's not 470p for a golden cat ship decoration and 3 weapon specific skins - not to mention two other packs with differently color coded cats being sold seperately (and even there I was just like "Nah, DE. Go home, you're drunk again.". Looking at some other prices puts deluxe packs into a proper perspective.

Edited by (PSN)Deeceem
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looked the same honestly, the "sharp angles" are already in the concept, maybe the poses make it look different, but they always were there. I was hoping and excited about an operator showcase but I'm not sure anymore...

Edited by vanaukas
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the thing about art....it's not a mathematical equation that's either right or wrong. 

Paintings that are literally just white paint sell for millions.

The world is a big place and you have to understand that something you don't like is something another person could think is a 10 out of 10.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2D art is difficult to translate to 3D models in general. Textures in particular are often up to the viewer's interpretation in 2D, but the material is set in 3D and may be a far cry from what the viewer expected unless the artist had clarified what the texture should look like.

This is not exclusive to deluxe skins. How can anyone see a 2D drawing of regular Excalibur and come to the conclusion that the texture in the gray parts of his shoulders resembles shark skin? You can't. You just see a gray area in the 2D drawing.

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRi5qklN6fskzRs8jx32Sv

It looks kinda cool, it's basically the only reason I'm waiting for this deluxe. Just have to see how it'll look in-game.

Can I have those helmets for the frame too?
Please.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...