Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How many others feel like the last couple of deluxe skins (including the Zephyr skin about to release) looked 10x better on paper?

(XBOX)TehChubbyDugan

Speaking as a digital artist myself, you can take my word for it: it can be very hard to realize a two-dimensional design concept in 3D. Plus, adjustments often have to be made in terms of practicality, optimization, and trying to minimize collision and animation glitches.

And sometimes the explanation is even simpler: the design idea just changes. There are a ton of characters and designs in media that look markedly different from their concept.

In short, stuff happens. Give it a chance to grow on you. =)

8 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Deluxes have always been hit or miss from the beginning , not just recently

Pretty much this. My biggest issue with some skins is not so much the designs themselves but how well they color. Personally not super keen on the "everything" metallic type skins or ones where the colors end up super de-saturated (or conversely over saturated) or muddled due to the colors blending. As far as birb deluxe goes it seems to color just fine for my tastes but as with any cosmetic that's all eye of the beholder and whatnot. Also doesn't hurt in this case that I'm a big Wipeout fan so I really like the overall style of it. Tldr, diff strokes n diff folks...yadda yadda.

Isn't that usually the case when you compare concept art to the finalized in-game version with anything though? A 2d piece has complete control over the amount of detail, viewing angle, lighting, pose, etc without being constrained by what would actually work in engine.

Plus the pieces that we've always gotten have been concept arts which aren't supposed to be the finalized product but a general design to guide those who are making the final version. Not unlike the Ignus drama over the Ember skin where he made the concept art for it then DE's artists altered it more into a finalized version. So while some things may be different due to translating it to 3d others may just be intentional design changes.

People just shouldn't be putting their stock solely into the concept art and wait to see the product they'll actually be buying. Otherwise you may just be setting yourself up for disappointment or end up being bias against a skin you might have actually enjoyed.

9 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Not just deluxe, wraith (sevagoth) concept looked rad but sevagoth ingame feels too rubbery (feels like a kid trying on their moms fake fur coat right out of the wash)

In my opinion, I kinda like how wraithe looks in game (but I think I know what you mean). I dislike his shadow form model though. Not only does it feel like it should be taller than it currently is, but I loved the concept art that liger had. They didn't even keep it's edgy hat for the shadow. It was the cherry on top!

3d modelling is not a simple task as 2d artwork...

These things are called a "concept" art for a reason. Artist themselves cannot fully describe 3d models from 2d sketches, and 2d sketches from their own imagination... 

SPECIALLY if what they are imagining are complex structures....

Its a concept art that tells what THEY THINK they can fully translate into the game. Thats the whole point of a concept art.

On top of that, concept arts are not under limitations of the game engine. 3d models are.

Personally, I thought it looked pretty close to the concept art. I'll most likely just color it to a more saturated shade if anything...

I can only say:  I was looking forward to buy Zephyr deluxe and the rework, but when they presented the skin in the dev stream, I thought it was a joke at first. It does not even fit in the warframe theme that we have.

Sorry for the artist, but this is absolutely not my taste. The whole skin looks like anime all over.

On 2021-03-01 at 2:50 PM, Dunkelheit said:

I can only say:  I was looking forward to buy Zephyr deluxe and the rework, but when they presented the skin in the dev stream, I thought it was a joke at first. It does not even fit in the warframe theme that we have.

Sorry for the artist, but this is absolutely not my taste. The whole skin looks like anime all over.

Since when did deluxes fit ANY theme that is in the game? I don't see how a plate armored huge dude like Rhino has anything to do with a Japanese/Indian mix JRPG-boss looking dude like Palatine.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb DLOArceus:

Since when did deluxes fit ANY theme that is in the game? I don't see how a plate armored huge dude like Rhino has anything to do with a Japanese/Indian mix JRPG-boss looking dude like Palatine.

To me Rhino's deluxe looks like wood carvings and includes patterns that resemble japanese cloud patterns (at least when I look at the concept art), so for me it fits into the game.

When I say that Zephyr doesn't fit the style of the game I mean that the skin doesn't look 'organic' enough. Not everything in Warframe is inspired by asian/indian designs (like Hildryn), but every Warframe has a smooth, bio-mechanic aspect to it.

Archived