Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unpopular Opinion: Too Many Healing Methods

Joezone619

First off, I don't expect anything here to actually be done, just a few thoughts and feedback on these topics.

One of the main reasons the player is so powerful, is the fact there is so many healing items, we're practically (and probably) invincible. [Magus nourish], [magus repair], and [magus elevate], [life strike], and even [hunter recovery] just to name a few. Having this much healing, makes it very hard to add any sort of difficulty to the game. Just look at steal path, the enemies have to do SO much damage, They can probably take out most warframes in a couple of seconds. But we all just heal back up mid combat. Not to mention how much damage some of them, especially the grineer heavy units, can take.

So we all know we have way too many healing items, and there is no easy way to take them away, or balance this. Nobody wants one of their main methods of surviving to just vanish suddenly. So what can DE do to fix this? Not much, at least not much that would be accepted by most players. But to humor the idea for a moment, If they replaced all the healing items and such with only 1 method of healing, then that would free up more mod and arcane slots for us to do more with.

One such replacement would be having our health regenerate slowly in combat similar to [rejuvenation], and after a couple of seconds of not being damaged, it would regenerate much faster. They could even go a step further, and have this regeneration rate, based on shield regen (but not directly tied to it). That way it would give shield regen mods more value. And give a purpose for those mods on health only frames like nidus and inaros.

Something else they could do, is limit how many of them you have on at a time. For example if you had [magus elevate], and tried to put [hunter recovery] on your pet, it would give you a prompt on which to take off. Doing this, they wouldn't have to actually remove anything from the game, just alter it slightly so that you can't have 5 different methods of healing on at once, essentially making you invincible.

Another way, they could simply nerf a lot of these methods. I'd recommend this far less to the others, but it would do the job. Reducing how much these things can heal, or how often they can be used would make us think twice about just spam healing.

But again to reiterate, I don't expect anything here to actually be done, just a few thoughts and feedback on these topics.

50 minutes ago, Joezone619 said:

First off, I don't expect anything here to actually be done, just a few thoughts and feedback on these topics.

One of the main reasons the player is so powerful, is the fact there is so many healing items, we're practically (and probably) invincible. [Magus nourish], [magus repair], and [magus elevate], [life strike], and even [hunter recovery] just to name a few. Having this much healing, makes it very hard to add any sort of difficulty to the game. Just look at steal path, the enemies have to do SO much damage, They can probably take out most warframes in a couple of seconds. But we all just heal back up mid combat. Not to mention how much damage some of them, especially the grineer heavy units, can take.

So we all know we have way too many healing items, and there is no easy way to take them away, or balance this. Nobody wants one of their main methods of surviving to just vanish suddenly. So what can DE do to fix this? Not much, at least not much that would be accepted by most players. But to humor the idea for a moment, If they replaced all the healing items and such with only 1 method of healing, then that would free up more mod and arcane slots for us to do more with.

One such replacement would be having our health regenerate slowly in combat similar to [rejuvenation], and after a couple of seconds of not being damaged, it would regenerate much faster. They could even go a step further, and have this regeneration rate, based on shield regen (but not directly tied to it). That way it would give shield regen mods more value. And give a purpose for those mods on health only frames like nidus and inaros.

Something else they could do, is limit how many of them you have on at a time. For example if you had [magus elevate], and tried to put [hunter recovery] on your pet, it would give you a prompt on which to take off. Doing this, they wouldn't have to actually remove anything from the game, just alter it slightly so that you can't have 5 different methods of healing on at once, essentially making you invincible.

Another way, they could simply nerf a lot of these methods. I'd recommend this far less to the others, but it would do the job. Reducing how much these things can heal, or how often they can be used would make us think twice about just spam healing.

But again to reiterate, I don't expect anything here to actually be done, just a few thoughts and feedback on these topics.

wait are you talking about healing items or healing abilities ?

i thought this was about the team heal pads ?

23 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

there are healing items in the game?

magus elevate, magus repair, magus nourish, life strike, hunter recovery, large health restores. rejuvenation, martyr symbiosis, arcane grace, arcane pulse (maybe), and arcane victory are all items that can be used to heal. 

Other forms of healing are vazarin focus schools, certain warframe abilities, 

With the exception of few frames, nobody tanks with their HP in relevant content (content where there's actual risk of dying), in 9 out of 10 cases, if you are taking direct damage to HP, you are either already dead or with so little HP that only snapshot healing is going to prevent death. Most of the survivability comes from either bulk HP, DR or Shield-gating. Reducing the means of healing in the current state of the game will do nothing outside of pushing the general player base into relying even more on tanky Warframes, which is already the case. (just check the stats for the most used Warframes)

17 hours ago, (NSW)Leafar said:

resting on top of them

I kinda forgot the pizzas... and I went through my inventory today and found actual healing on use items, or at least I think they are, never used them in all my years. look like grey crosses? holy crap, what is this even.

17 hours ago, Joezone619 said:

magus elevate, magus repair, magus nourish, life strike, hunter recovery, large health restores. rejuvenation, martyr symbiosis, arcane grace, arcane pulse (maybe), and arcane victory are all items that can be used to heal. 

no, those are not items. those are passives you can equip. please don't change the common term's meaning just to make a bad point. there is a reason why arsenal is "warframe, primary, secondary, melee,...etc" and not "item, item, item, item, item..."

4 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

no, those are not items. those are passives you can equip. please don't change the common term's meaning just to make a bad point. there is a reason why arsenal is "warframe, primary, secondary, melee,...etc" and not "item, item, item, item, item..."

i think he should probably change the title to be about abilities and not items cause when you say items most people will just think you are talking about consumable potions and stuff like that 

3 hours ago, Rawbeard said:

I kinda forgot the pizzas... and I went through my inventory today and found actual healing on use items, or at least I think they are, never used them in all my years. look like grey crosses? holy crap, what is this even.

You get those from captures, I think. They can save your life very well if you hotkey them. Full healing in a split second is a godsend, for a hotkey. Like me, it will take longer with controller trying to pull out the gear wheel to click the right item.

4 hours ago, GKKyreekGK said:

Sorry, we’re not all meta slaves abusing OP nuking invincible frames who don’t need these “too many healing methods”.

Well the operator heals while being invulnerable. Outside of getting one shotted in a very short duration, you won’t die.

While I can agree that we've received increasingly more methods for healing in Warframe, which has made certain sustain-oriented frames like Trinity less comparatively important, I wouldn't say that they're the reason we're unkillable, because in most cases, if your health is the part of your bar getting damaged, you're likely moments away from getting downed anyway. Shield gating at the moment I think plays a much more important part in most frames' survivability, and frames who use their health to tank generally have self-sustain on top of massive health and armor pools, and often 90+% damage reduction steroids to boot. Really, the reason why we're so survivable in Warframe isn't because we can heal damage to our health, but because many of the game's most popular frames have huge amounts of effective hit points relative to the damage most enemies output, along with multiple safeguards. I could definitely support more native methods for self-healing, as I do think there's a problem of newer players fighting a battle of attrition in most missions that really isn't what Warframe is about, but if we are to tackle the higher-end survivability of players, there are likely far bigger problems than our health sustain.

22 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Full healing in a split second is a godsend, for a hotkey

I never used them, never even checked them, just assumed they are like "worse than the weakest pizza, lol" and just... forgot. AAAAH. now I don't need them, but that would have been actually useful years ago

Archived