Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Acolyte (rifle) mods buff suggestion

Pityuu2

You want better gun mods? So do I. Do we already have a template for many great mods? Yes we do. Does anyone actually ever use them? Hardly. The reasons are:

• There is no reason to pick them over their vanilla variants - in fact that is straight up disadvantageous.
  • They stack poorly with their vanilla variants.
  • They are not worth the mod slot: using pretty much any vanilla mod (even a Stormbringer) tends to yield better outputs
  • The "while aiming" condition is (usually) a very, very big drawback, for what the mod is worth. Aiming (zooming) significantly slows you down and prevents you from using parkeour maneuvers to their full potential. It also reduces field of view thus situation awareness, though this can be fixed with other mods.

I believe Acolyte mods should be superior with a trade-off over their vanilla counterparts via their gimmick triggering mechanics and that they must be refreshed.

Therefore I suggest the following changes:

Argon Scope: +135% -> +225%, aiming condition removed, (possibly: 9 seconds -> 3 seconds)

• If the player is confident in their aim, it is worth using this over Point Strike
  • Stacks well with Point Strike, if the player decides to sacrifice not one but two mod slots for Crit Chance
  • Comfortable to use due not requiring zoom
  • I proposed reduced duration so that:
    • the player really would have to frequently hit heads, not just prime with one shot then spray & pray.
    • on weapons with a slow reload, the buff would be lost on every reload, posing another dilemma whether this or Point Strike

Bladed Rounds: +120% -> 180%, (possibly: remove aiming), (possibly: 9s-> 6s)

• Better than Vital sense if the player is confident they can chain kills quickly enough
  • Decrease to 6s:
    • would better test said confidence, while reloads or using abilities wouldn't interrupt on their own
    • when in Steel Path and finding lots of bullet sponge enemies, the player would have to alternate between quickly killing squishies and then dumping the buff on spongies
  • Aiming condition:
    • It is a serious increase in overall damage, especially with orange and red crits, so slowing the player down is not that unfair
    • However reducing duration would be a demanding enough change, and removing the aiming condition would promote faster paced gameplay. Not to mention the player would actually have to position themselves to get the next kill, which takes time and requires mobility

Catalyzer Link: +60% -> +240%, (possibly: aim condition removed)

• To make me put on a mod on that gives nothing but status chance, this would need a LOT of status chance
  • aim condition is not horribly limiting as you would not parkeur too much just to spread status anyways (status expires after a while after all)
  • You can't expect the player to spam abilities like headshots, so the "9 seconds" is healthy

Spring-Loaded Chamber: +75%% -> +90%

• make it at least as good as Vile Acceleration
  • "while aiming" differentiatiates it from Vile Acceleration

I think it is clear what am I going for, and similar buffs could be applied to Shotgun & Pistol Acolyte mods as well.

Looking forward to read your feedback and ideas folks.

10 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

... Heh... A new way of asking Blood Rush and Weeping Wounds for rifles...

Not really. I just want some of the existing mods to, you know, have some use at least. Those two are way beyond the power level of my suggestions above.

2 minutes ago, Pityuu2 said:

Not really. I just want some of the existing mods to, you know, have some use at least. Those two are way beyond the power level of my suggestions above.

I'll only believe that its really the case if the conditional trigger remains...

After all...

1 hour ago, Pityuu2 said:

If the player is confident in their aim, it is worth using this over Point Strike

Proper reward for the proper action, as its the intended original use of those mods.

Archived