Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid rework

Enderman20

Hydroid, along with banshee (in my opinion) are among the warframers who most need a rework, having become an invalid choice, due to the advent of some new warframe, or because the skills are simply useless. Here is my idea for a possible rework of hydroid.

Passive

Now : Hydroid's melee slam attacks have a 50% chance to spawn a Tentacle that lasts for 15 seconds. The tentacle seeks nearby enemies to grab and thrash them, dealing  True damage per second, bypassing armor.

Reworked : Hydroid's shields are partially liquid, which allows you to dilute the status effects, halving their intensity. When Hydroid is affected by any status effect, its abilities will apply that status effect when hitting enemies.

Or

Hydroids body is made up of a liquid substance although solid in appearance, that absorbs some projectile/melee damage and status affects that in turn converts a portion of that damage into energy for Hydroid. Completely Immune to knockdowns. 

Or

Any time Hydroid takes damage there is a 50% chance of a tentacle spawning that will last for 10 seconds (up to 10 tentacles can spawn at one time). These tentacles will seek out the most recent enemies that damaged Hydroid.

Ability 1

Now : Target an area and call down a barrage of liquid fury. Charge this attack to increase the lethality of the onslaught.

Reworked : Hydroid throws a trident that will deal damage to the hit and nearby enemies. 0.2 seconds after the trident impact, a quick burst of water cannon fire will strike the ground near the point of impact, targeting enemies, damaging anyone they hit and anyone near the point of impact. Charging the attack will cause the trident to implode, drawing all enemies to it

Ability 2

Now : Crash through enemies in a ferocious wall of water.

Reworked : Hydroid modifies its body to become completely water. When in this state, he takes extremely low damage, and can move at a faster speed, and hitting enemies will deal damage, however he will not be able to use his own weapons. The ability has a limited duration, however when Hydroid is stationary, the duration of this ability will decay 90% slower.

Ability 3

Now : Become a water trap and drown unsuspecting enemies.

Reworked : Hydroid releases a water trap that can drown enemies that pass over it. An ancient sea monster lives in the trap, which will be able to grab and pull nearby enemies into the trap thanks to its long tentacles. Charging the skill will turn Hydroid itself into a water trap, with a 50% range bonus.

Ability 4

Now : Tap to spawn watery tentacles from all nearby surfaces to wreak havoc. Charge to increase the number of tentacles and spawn area. Use while in Undertow to have the tentacles emerge from the pool.

Reworked : Wield your trident of the seas in one hand, and a deadly single shot shotgun in the other, and summon an ancient sea monster that will grab and severely damage multiple enemies with its endless tentacles. Using this skill while 3rd skill is active will also cause a sea monster to emerge from the trap created by the 3rd skill.

Spoiler

Small clarification. This ability will consume energy per second, and as long as it is active, Hydroid will simultaneously use 2 exalted weapon. One, it will be the trident, which will be a melee weapon that can be launched with the heavy attack, and will be similar in appearance to a Sydon, and will use melee weapon mods. The second weapon will be a low-precision single-shot shotgun, but with a very high number of buckshot. He can fire by pressing the fire button, and it will take about 1 second to reload. The weapon will be devastating from low range and useless from high range, and killing an enemy with this weapon will regenerate Hydroid 15 energy points.

The sea monster summoned will be that of Hydroid's current 4th ability, only with a nice buff to dps, and a monster similar in appearance, will be summoned for each pool created by the 3rd ability. The skill augmentation will be the same.

Thanks for reading. Tell me what you think in the comments.

How about for Passive:

Hydroids body is made up of a liquid substance although solid in appearance, that absorbs some projectile/melee damage and status affects that in turn converts a portion of that damage into energy for Hydroid. Completely Immune to knockdowns. 

So partial damage reduction combined with small rage like affect for energy. 

or

Any time Hydroid takes damage there is a 50% chance of a tentacle spawning that will last for 10 seconds (up to 10 tentacles can spawn at one time). These tentacles will seek out the most recent enemies that damaged Hydroid.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

Hydroids body is made up of a liquid substance although solid in appearance, that absorbs some projectile/melee damage and status affects that in turn converts a portion of that damage into energy for Hydroid

2 hours ago, (XBOX)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

Both ideas are really cool, I'll add them both as possible passive skills.

3 hours ago, KaffeRausch said:

He already got a rework and was much worse before.

Despite its rework, I personally don't find it a valid warframe to take on a mission, not having high stamina, an incredible ability to do damage, or good CC skills. It used to be great for farming, until Khora received the augument for her 4th. So I think Hydroid deserves a nice complete rework of their skills.

On 2021-03-03 at 10:29 AM, Enderman20 said:

Hydroid's shields are partially liquid, which allows you to dilute the status effects, halving their intensity.

I sort of like this passive but feel it should do just a little bit more

Like maybe make him absorb status effects and have them added to his damaging abilities, so if he is hit with a slash effect, casting his 1 now deals slash slash damage too. 

Be kind of cool i think. Maybe heat could be the only thing he cant absorb since fire water would be kind of weird. Possible irl, just weird for an ability imo

Hydroid throws a trident that will deal damage to the hit and nearby enemies. 0.2 seconds after the trident impact, a quick burst of water cannon fire will strike the ground near the point of impact, targeting enemies, damaging anyone they hit and anyone near the point of impact.

This sounds kind of cool actually, its a small change but makes the ability more reliable

Be more cool if the trident also acted like Nekros's Soul Punch but with more width so that it hits multiple enemies. Make him throw it in an arc too

That could allow for some cool synergy to your reworked 3rd ability. Like youd use the trident to push enemies into his pools

Hydroid modifies its body to become completely water. When in this state, he takes extremely low damage, and can move at a faster speed, and hitting enemies will deal damage, however he will not be able to use his own weapons. The ability has a limited duration, however when Hydroid is stationary, the duration of this ability will decay 90% slower

I actually love this very much

If you go with the status absorption idea i gave for the passive (or some other form of absorption), this ability could be used to help you collect the status effects without dying and then use his 1st ability to deal what youve collected back out

Or maybe colliding with enemies that are affected with status effects adds an effect or 2 to your abilities

Just other ideas

Hydroid releases a water trap that can drown enemies that pass over it. An ancient sea monster lives in the trap, which will be able to grab and pull nearby enemies into the trap thanks to its long tentacles.

Lovely

I like being a puddle though, would be nice if it was added still as a hold ability

Wield your trident of the seas in one hand, and a deadly single shot shotgun in the other, and summon an ancient sea monster that will grab and severely damage multiple enemies with its endless tentacles. Using this skill while 3rd skill is active will also cause a sea monster to emerge from the trap created by the 3rd skill.

A bit confused here

- Shotgun sounds a bit random

- we using the trident for melee yea?

- Does the sea monster act like current hydroid 4th?

Aside from the 4th (because i dont understand it yet), everything sounds nice

5 hours ago, (PSN)Frost_Nephilim said:

- Shotgun sounds a bit random

While it sounds random, it's not. The pirates, among their weapons, also had a kind of shotgun with a high dispersion, and Hydroid, is also partly a pirate.

- we using the trident for melee yea?

Yes, the trident will be used simultaneously with the shotgun as a melee weapon, but it can be thrown at enemies using the heavy attack. Both the shotgun and the trident will be moddable, being an exalted weapon.

- Does the sea monster act like current hydroid 4th?

Basically yes, but it receives a buff damage dealt over time by each tentacle (currently 200 / s as true damage, while post rework would be 600). The number of tentacles would remain the same, but they could capture up to 8 enemies for each tentacle. In addition, from each pool created by the 3rd ability, a similar monster will emerge, which will only have 8 tentacles, but equal damage.

I sort of like this passive but feel it should do just a little bit more

Like maybe make him absorb status effects and have them added to his damaging abilities, so if he is hit with a slash effect, casting his 1 now deals slash slash damage too. 

Be kind of cool i think

Nice idea, I will add it for sure.

Maybe heat could be the only thing he cant absorb since fire water would be kind of weird. Possible irl, just weird for an ability imo

It might actually make sense, if Hydroid didn't use water, but a liquid substance very similar to water, and so called for convenience, but which has the ability to heat up to like 1,200 ° C before even boiling, so that when this water comes into contact with enemies, it transfers heat, and the enemies catch fire.

Passive on slam effect needs to go 100% - either on damaged or when hydroid kills an enemy (pick one) spawn a tentacle.

1st ability is fine just change to slash instead of impact or up the damage/range. ( Maybe not rain but geyser like beams on random targets around you) (like embers ultimate used to be)

2 ability needs a rework 100% - just make him go faster in liquid state and absorb bullets then cast again to release all with radial pin (vaubans mine)

3 add a vortex effect to puddle +range ( if you press 2 while 3 is active - your watery siluette shows up and does the same effect aka absorbs then release)

4 th is fine 

I like 4/5ths of the ability changes, the 5th 1 being the 4th ability. Its a cool idea but i feel it doesnt just try to make the current 4th ability better rather it just tries to give him an exalted weapon

Id want something that more related to his current 4th ability

Id rate this rework 8/10 none the less, sounds like fun

6 hours ago, (PSN)Frost_Nephilim said:

4th ability better rather it just tries to give him an exalted weapon

This is just an addition. The main change would be in the synergy with the 3rd, and in a considerable damage buff (probably when I have the time and the desire to write, it will also add the stats, so I will make the idea better).

12 hours ago, (PSN)MrTorchure said:

3 add a vortex effect to puddle +range

The ability would already have this effect. In practice, being that there lives a puppy of the creature summoned by the ultimate from Hydroid, that creature, every 2-3 seconds would attract up to 8 enemies into the pool to consume them.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

First: That's great ideas! i thought of some similar idea and i'm glad other did too ^^

To me, Hydroid is like devi jones in pirate of the caribbean. So with his pirate part come an ... ghostly / monstruous part.

I had multiple idea. one for his passive is this:

Passive: Captain of the deep: Hydroid is used to incredible pressure. He can then resist more the impact damage type (you gave me the idea for impact) and can have + 25% resistance against fire(due to the fact that i thought of elemental resistance for elemental warframes) and -25% resistance against shock.

Additionally, while inside a railjack, his innate leadership give a small bonus to the crew and railjack for damage dealt, ship speed, and energy efficiency (maybe 10% of each).

I also have some thought about his abilities: one where he can switch between being a pirate or a esotheric being that pull the soul of the damn into the sea.

For example,

his 1:

Charged or cast
while cast, same as a fully charge 1 from now. For the charged mode, a sphere of water surround the head of enemy, making them drown. damage is of the same type than the puddle but less powerful. the enemy is incapacitate (like with the burning panic effect).

his 2:

Basically does the same than now but can be maintain to go on longer distance and aiming upward make a real tsunami, making him go higher (so may not pass some doors) but the area of effect is wider.

Additionnaly, while in puddle and while maintaining this ability, Hydroid become a sort of water tendrill linked to his puddle, capable of moving in every direction until you touch the ground, cast again puddle or cancel the power. While in this form, Hydroid is invulnerable and a water trail between is current position and his puddule is formed. Every enemy making contact to the water trail became trapped inside undertow, in the place when they touch the trail. While you touch the ground (not the wall) or cast again undertow, you slam on the ground, making a new undertow there (the previous one disapear). The water tendril then came back to you (like the rewind ability) and with it every enemy trapped.

if a nullifier bubble touch the trail, the link is unterrupted and the ability is cancel (maybe instead of purely cancel, making it like "a new puddle appear at your location. every enemy between you and the cut link came to you, the other between the puddle and the nullifier are lost ")

His 3:

Can be cast or maintain. while maintain, you are the puddle. While cast, make a water vortex at the location. enemy within range are slowly being attracted by the vortex. enemy in touch with it fall in undertow. Undertow does now true damage (because it's quite dumb that you cannot drown if you have a shield)

I also thought of an idea with the switching mode when in cast, summon a calm lake with dense fog. enemy inside are lost (they walk randomly) and cannot see if not close to the target. their speed and health are slowly drain until attaining 0. at that time, they fall into undertow. when they die, they became a lost soul, wandering in the undertow and taking living with them in the undertow. Enemies that saw then go near them and shoot at them, attracting other. (maybe for each lost soul, augmenting damage dealt)

His 4:

Making it a area effect summon instead of summon. Can be maintain for increased range or cast for smaller energy cost.

On cast, make a thin puddle on the ground of the side of the area of effect. (maybe with different visual effect than undertow). It is a thin pellicle of water but within it, the deep gaze at you. While an enemy enter the area, a tentacle emerge from the water, grabbing the enemy. the enemy take an increasing amount of true damage (thank to your idea) and enemy that cannot be grabbed are marked by a debuf slowing them (and maybe reducing their armor).

while the enemy grabbed are alive, the tentacle behave like normal, grabbing enemy near them. When all enemy grabbed by a tentacle dies, the tentacle disapear to be allocated to another enemy entering the area of effect.

While cast during the effect of tidal wave (his 2) under the water tendrill mode, the beast will gaze uppon the enemies in range an pull them in with his tentacles.
While cast while in undertow, now the tentacle will grab the enemy and pull them in the undertow. they still suffer the damage of the tentacle and the damage of undertow (the damage of the tentacle count in the calculation of incremental damage of undertow)

For pillefering swarm:
Now pillefering swarm cause a debuff on a duration when hit by a tentacle. Enemy gives additional loot when kill while the debuff is still active (made this way to permit additional loot from enemy unafected by the grab)

That's all, what do you guys think about it? ^^ (sorry for my poor english i'm not native ^^")

Archived