Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Have you ever befriended a 10-year old?

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Apoll0 666 said:

Anytime I try to help newbies they always have the worst grammar I've ever seen, and most times I even ask if english is their first language because I'm always willing to use a translator to help people but get this, 9/10 times english is their first language. Like wtf

It’s almost like a lot of the people who play free games are people from low income families who, shocker, probably didn’t have a great deal of money for education or other socioeconomic issues hampering them.

On 2021-03-04 at 12:46 PM, (XBOX)Apoll0 666 said:

Anytime I try to help newbies they always have the worst grammar I've ever seen, and most times I even ask if english is their first language because I'm always willing to use a translator to help people but get this, 9/10 times english is their first language. Like wtf

Yea I recently learned "yh" means "yes" "yea" or "yeah". I occasionally say "ya" if I'm typing in void mode to be quick, but yh is another level.

On 2021-03-04 at 6:46 PM, (XBOX)Apoll0 666 said:

From my limited experience I've found that native English speakers have the worst English and attention to grammar and punctuation. I've no idea how that happens.

On 2021-03-03 at 4:08 PM, Jarriaga said:

You should have reported him for a ban. Minors playing the game are a violation of DE's terms of service.

ACCOUNT
You must be 13 years of age or older to create an Account. If you are 13 or over, but are under the age of 18, you are required to review this agreement with your parent(s) or guardian to ensure they read and agree to them.

By creating an Account or otherwise using the Service, you represent that you are at least age 18 and agree to these Terms of Use, or that you are over 13 years of age and your parent(s) or legal guardian has read and agreed to these Terms of Use, and you understand and agree that we are relying upon that representation in allowing you to use the Service. Only one person may use an Account.

https://www.warframe.com/terms

This^ straight report

On 2021-03-04 at 2:16 PM, SneakyErvin said:

I've ran into alot of people that act like that over the years, the sad part is that 99% of them havent even been kids, just "adults" with with zero attention span and no idea how to act socially. Doesnt matter if it was in an MMO like DaoC or WoW, or in a co-op multiplayer game like this, they are always there and they really turn things into cringe. 

And the reason this 10 year old acted like that is probably because his parents are one of those types of people I've ran into over the last 20 years, and for some reason they decided to spawn an offspring to plague earth.

Ha! That's what I was going to post - think of the university students who not only think they're god's gift, but want it all, want it now. And if you say no to them, then its only because you're a waycist (or *-phobe).  Institutions have infantilised a lot of people over the last 20-odd years too - I can only conclude its been deliberate.

On 2021-03-03 at 3:42 PM, (PSN)Rebel-sonie said:

A random new person approaches you because you look cool, and you decide to befriend him and show him a few things because you’re nice...

Next thing you know you realize he’s 10 years old, who cannot spell, and is obsessed with obtaining a Prime because his favourite YouTuber has a Prime. 
-10 year old has invited you to a game-

“You should really focus on levelling weapons for mastery rank. You’re still at MR1. Focus on star chart and leveling weapons.”

”No I want to get a Prime! Can you help me! I need to get to the void so I can get a Prime!”

”What...? Have you looked at Warframe YouTube videos for beginners?”

”Those are scams!”

-10 year old has invited you to a party-

”Have you started modding yet? This will help tremendously getting through star chart.”

”What’s that pet you have?! I want one! Can you help me get a Prime!”

”Its a vulpaphyla. You get it from Deimos but it’s much later on when you’re stronger. You need to increase your mastery rank.”

”Can we get that after! Also how do you get platinum SO I CAN SPEED UP KUBROW!”

-Half a day is wasted trying to “help”-

”I guess I have some prime parts I can give you...”

”Which ones!? Hold on, my mom is calling me! Can we do void missions for Primes after?!”

-_-

Me being very awful. “Here’s parts for Ivara Prime...”

“Thank you! I don’t care about anything else, I just really want a Prime!”

Never. Again.

Just help the kid.  Remember that feeling where the art and gameplay took you to another place where the entertainment was pure?  

I remember being 9 and seeing magic on the screen when I popped the cartridge of “tank” into my Atari or I played Temple of Apshai on an Apple IIC.

Don’t know what I’m talking about?  Yeah, because youth is relative but the joy you can share with and give  another gamer, be they 10 or 50, is a rare and precious thing.

Don’t hate.  Appreciate.

18 minutes ago, (PSN)Silverback73 said:

Just help the kid.  Remember that feeling where the art and gameplay took you to another place where the entertainment was pure?  

I remember being 9 and seeing magic on the screen when I popped the cartridge of “tank” into my Atari or I played Temple of Apshai on an Apple IIC.

Don’t know what I’m talking about?  Yeah, because youth is relative but the joy you can share with and give  another gamer, be they 10 or 50, is a rare and precious thing.

Don’t hate.  Appreciate.

No, I won't just help the kid, for a number of reasons already stated in the thread.

I will not roll over to the guilt peddling idea that just because someone asks, I must provide.

It's not anything to do with Hate, that is terribly disingenuous, IMO, to say such a thing.

It's not about sharing the joy of a game, it's about protecting young people from the very real dangers of the Internet, those dangers exist in much higher quantity in games of this nature.

I appreciate that the kid is a budding young gamer, but that does not exonerate us from protecting them, if anything, it should increase our desire to help, and making them think it's perfectly fine and safe when it's not is a disservice to them.

4 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

No, I won't just help the kid, for a number of reasons already stated in the thread.

I will not roll over to the guilt peddling idea that just because someone asks, I must provide.

It's not anything to do with Hate, that is terribly disingenuous, IMO, to say such a thing.

It's not about sharing the joy of a game, it's about protecting young people from the very real dangers of the Internet, those dangers exist in much higher quantity in games of this nature.

I appreciate that the kid is a budding young gamer, but that does not exonerate us from protecting them, if anything, it should increase our desire to help, and making them think it's perfectly fine and safe when it's not is a disservice to them.

It’s just a saying. 

Coach them a bit if you feel obligated, and then help them because you aren’t a threat like I would.  Or don’t.

But the argument of helping him to enjoy getting a Prime will make him more susceptible to the perils of the internet and therefore you won’t do it?  

Nah.

3 minutes ago, (PSN)Silverback73 said:

It’s just a saying. 

Coach them a bit if you feel obligated, and then help them because you aren’t a threat like I would.  Or don’t.

But the argument of helping him to enjoy getting a Prime will make him more susceptible to the perils of the internet and therefore you won’t do it?  

Nah.

And you are arguing the specific interaction w/o looking at the big picture or the precedent those actions create.

It's not about the Prime, it's about the bigger picture.

Feel free to ignore it, at your own peril, IMO/IME.

14 hours ago, Ace-Bounty-Hunter said:

We don't play games to be someone's babysitter. 

Said "someone" disagrees...

Or at least, that's the message I'm getting with the "make everything kid-friendly" fiasco in recent years in social media...

-------

As for my own experience. I've met a few rather clingy players. Ofc, I didn't ask their age. But they would especially nag or ask to join frequently. I couldn't really tell whether it was because they were too young, or simply didn't know any better. I wasn't just going to report them either as some players could be genuinely confused on what to do due to the lack of a good new player experience.

On 2021-03-03 at 10:42 PM, (PSN)Rebel-sonie said:

Me being very awful. “Here’s parts for Ivara Prime...”

Too bad you can't trade Mr locked prime frames.

Would be a nice way to, still be nice, but also make your point very clear.

On 2021-03-06 at 12:44 PM, gbjbaanb said:

Ha! That's what I was going to post - think of the university students who not only think they're god's gift, but want it all, want it now. And if you say no to them, then its only because you're a waycist (or *-phobe).  Institutions have infantilised a lot of people over the last 20-odd years too - I can only conclude its been deliberate.

Yep, that is the feeling I get. It could be me getting old and seeing things that arent there and remembering things how they werent, but I doubt it since the same feelings are shared with others of "my generation", and it is about the only thing we actually share a social/political opinion on, when it comes to other subjects were are all very split.

43 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Yep, that is the feeling I get. It could be me getting old and seeing things that arent there and remembering things how they werent, but I doubt it since the same feelings are shared with others of "my generation", and it is about the only thing we actually share a social/political opinion on, when it comes to other subjects were are all very split.

Every generation thinks the one after them is 'softer and dumber', it happens with Every Single Generation.

Archived