Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can lag reduce weapon damage?

RottenBabe

Question

I started pondering this when a friend of mine was surprised at how little damage I do even though our weapon are about equally good. We both have PCs that, at best, would've been medium-high range in 2013. The only difference is internet speed.

One night, I was playing WF, solo hunting my kuva lich, and suddenly the game became smoother than it's ever been. Coincidentally, my Cyanex started killing 85+ level grineers quicker and more effectively than ever before.

So, is it possible for (internet speed-related) lag to reduce weapon damage? Or is this just a perception illusion thing? 😕

8 answers to this question

Yes , but not how you may think. 

Depending on severity of lag and how well the rest of the squad is playing it may "seem" like you are doing low nor no damage.

While what is happening is your damage is getting registered after a very long time.

And during this time the rest of the squad may be doing damage enough to kill the enemy. So by the time the damage registers the enemy is already deadl.

This is one of the reasons why hosts in laggy environment tend to have higher damage stats.

Since hits are registered player side, but the actual kills are registered Host side, what the earlier player said can be true. Lag can influence whether it counts as you having done the damage that killed the enemy rather than the Host.

What I would also add is that DE does actually have a distinct problem with Frame Rate in their game. Sometimes they accidentally create mechanics that tie functions to frame rate, such as in the recent Orphix Venom event where the progress of the Orphix timer was directly tied to frame rate (until they patched it) and so players could literally set the host's frame rate manually to the lowest possible and farm each Orphix for points (by killing the Sentients) for five or six times longer than an Orphix was supposed to last.

So I would not be surprised if, depending on some of the functions and some of the weapons, frame rate didn't have something to do with it.

21 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Yes , but not how you may think. 

Depending on severity of lag and how well the rest of the squad is playing it may "seem" like you are doing low nor no damage.

While what is happening is your damage is getting registered after a very long time.

And during this time the rest of the squad may be doing damage enough to kill the enemy. So by the time the damage registers the enemy is already deadl.

This is one of the reasons why hosts in laggy environment tend to have higher damage stats.

Yeah, I guess that's what it is. Although, sometimes, it really does feel like my fire rate slows down. I'm not sure if it's because I get to see and hear fewer frames, though. Can there be lag without a frame rate drop? Sorry if that's a silly question haha. I'm usually quite observant, but I'm not good at observing and analysing lag. I don't have an impulse to look at my frame rate count thingy every time I experience unusual amount of lag.

11 hours ago, RottenBabe said:

. Can there be lag without a frame rate drop? 

Lag can be due to internet connection (high ping) or (poor) pc specs of the host , 

frame rates are usually to do with your (clients) pc specs , there aren't many weapons that depend on frame rates anymore (there used to be in the past and might be a few forgotten ones) 

So yes , there can be lag without frame rate drops , but the game may appear jumpy on times , "rubberbanding" is a common symptom of bad lag without frame drops.

Archived